T Nation

Deadlifts - Aggravating Skin

The barbell chafes at my skin when I deadlift. It’s very uncomfortable and aggravating my skin, leaving marks. Also, I’ve gotten callouses from deadlifts, but the pain of dragging the bar up my leg + grip pain makes me stop lifting.

When can I do to address these problems,

1. dragging bar up my leg cuts into my skin
  2. pain of callouses from gripping bar

thx

I think we all have this problem. Man up?

I have seen some bars that are so knurled it hurts to just grab them. If that is the case in your gym, you could try wrapping something around the part of the bar that slides up your leg.

You could also try wearing pants on deadlift day.

Put more weight on the bar and MAN UP. Check out the deadlift articles and make sure your form is correct. You should not be dragging the bar up your legs, or lower the weight against your legs to slow the decent either.

As for the callouses, everyone that lifts weights has then. If they get bad use a pumice stone in the shower. Using straps will also help.

If you’re deadlifting correctly, the bar should be traveling along your shins on the way up. I used to have blood trickling down my shins from the knurling on the bar after each set. I started wearing knee high socks and the problem is pretty much solved.
As far as callouses go, you can cut them off with a razor or toe nail clippers.

You will have many such scars on your journey at war with the iron. These are your battle scars, the reminder to yourself of the pain you have gone through and each particular battle and victory.

Wear them proudly.

The bar should travel on the same plain as your shins, not against them. 400lb deads don’t touch my shins, they brush my sweats/shorts but I don’t walk away from a set bleeding

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
If you’re deadlifting correctly, the bar should be traveling along your shins on the way up. I used to have blood trickling down my shins from the knurling on the bar after each set. I started wearing knee high socks and the problem is pretty much solved.
As far as callouses go, you can cut them off with a razor or toe nail clippers.[/quote]

FAIL. just keep your callused rubbed down with a file and the hard flat skin will help you keep your hands safe and without rigged calluses.

The bar should, as said, not drag up your shins. Especially if it is a powerlifting style deadlift. for a OL style pull it can be different for certain lifters.

-chris

[quote]SpadeK wrote:
The barbell chafes at my skin when I deadlift. It’s very uncomfortable and aggravating my skin, leaving marks. Also, I’ve gotten callouses from deadlifts, but the pain of dragging the bar up my leg + grip pain makes me stop lifting.

When can I do to address these problems,

1. dragging bar up my leg cuts into my skin
  2. pain of callouses from gripping bar

thx[/quote]

1. wear pants. get better lifting technique.

2. harden up. file callus down. get straps. get gloves.

If highschool girls can do it so can you.

-chris