Deadlifting - Who Swiches Grip?

We are having the discussion at our gym about swiching grip. One guy who is a trainer and claims he trains powerlifters says to switch. He claims I could incur hip issues if I dont. The other guy trained world class powerlifters 10-15 years ago says thats BS and I do not need to switch grip.

Whats your thoughts???

Pull with straps and only use mixed grip in Comp.

Why pull with straps. I can see using them for max lift but in the 400-500 range I have no problems with grip.

I use overhand grip as long as I can and then I change to mixed grip. I don’t really think it matters if you switch or not (allthough some say it does) but I switch from one set to the other.

I dont switch grips, Its not comfortable.

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
Pull with straps and only use mixed grip in Comp. [/quote]

Are you for real?

I’ve hardly ever switched grips, but recently I just started reversing my grip for my warmups, but then switch to my more comfortable (and stronger) grip for my heavier pulls.

[quote]Matsa wrote:
I use overhand grip as long as I can and then I change to mixed grip. I don’t really think it matters if you switch or not (allthough some say it does) but I switch from one set to the other.[/quote]

^^^^^^ This. I have a favorite side that I use for PRs and such, but I randomly switch it up just in case it matters.

Yes, you should switch. I didn’t and the trap on my overhand side got bigger. It caused all sorts of issues.

[quote]brauny96 wrote:
I dont switch grips, Its not comfortable.[/quote]
What do you think that tells you?..

The majority of training vids I’ve seen from Russia, they use straps on pulls. Also the 2 IPF worlds I’ve attended I’ve made a point of noticing what other lifters are doing in the warmup rooms, and every single Russian lifter I watched warmed up with straps

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:

Are you for real?

I’ve hardly ever switched grips, but recently I just started reversing my grip for my warmups, but then switch to my more comfortable (and stronger) grip for my heavier pulls.[/quote]

I start with the double overhand, then do this ^^

All of my lighter sets (up to 405) are done double overhand with a hook grip. The stupid fucking trainer that talks about hip issues has probly never gone over 135, so, fuck him.

Only pull with straps if you’ve done a ton of pulling in the last week. High rep shrugs or deadlift variations drain your CNS faster than weight on your back.

I have never had a problem with grip because a) I train grip with plate pinches and the captains of crush grippers and b) I train with an old school olympic bar that is an inch and a half thicker than a competition bar. I have gotten to the point with that bar that my max on it and a competition deadlift bar are exactly the same. Which is awesome because that means I can hold a shit load more than I can pull… which is also scary as shit because I can pull 825.

Lighter sets are performed with double overhand. Then on the heavier sets, usually over 295, I switch to mixed grip and flip grips between sets. I tend to use my strongest grip side for 1RM attempts… but I am trying to stop that.

Not a super puller but I do pull 400 on the 4" Deficit SGDL using a wide grip near to the outer collars or in between the rings and the outer collars depending on the humidity.

I pull raw; no chalk, no straps.

I have strong hands as well from IM COCs, Front Plate Raises, and Heavy Wrist Rolling. I close my COC No. 2 for reps about everyday.

It makes sense that pulling with a mixed grip and not switching is going to cause you to develop some type of imbalance. The load placed on your body is going to be unbalanced.

my personal philosophy is that when I’m training my competition deadlift(sumo) every rep should be the same. So I keep the same mixed grip on all sets. Most other pulling work I try to use double overhand, I’ll add straps if necessary. Now that I think about it, it probably depends on how much pulling you are doing. Seems like some people are recommending pulling from the floor once every three or four weeks. If you’re not pulling that often it seems like the volume of mixed grip work compared to the volume of “non-mixed grip” back work would be small enough to not have to worry about huge imbalances.

I pull double overhand through work sets then mix on max effort.

Straps have there place but dont rely on them all the time.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:

Are you for real?

I’ve hardly ever switched grips, but recently I just started reversing my grip for my warmups, but then switch to my more comfortable (and stronger) grip for my heavier pulls.[/quote]

Yes I’m for real, grip has never really been much of an issue for me and I tend to lead with the overhand shoulder quite badly when I do mixed grips so I only bother in comp and am in the middle of learning to hook grip comfortably.

[quote]Matsa wrote:
I use overhand grip as long as I can and then I change to mixed grip. I don’t really think it matters if you switch or not (allthough some say it does) but I switch from one set to the other.[/quote]

This is what I do as well. I’m doing 5/3/1 so I always have one really tough set. I make sure that I use my stronger grip (right hand in “overhand” position) for this, but then do most of my warmup sets with the other grip to balance it out.

Just forget the whole thing. Deadlifting is bad for your back.

i really think its over-complicating things. I use a mixed grip (right overhand, left underhand) for heavy sets, and if i notice or feel an imbalance, I’ll either switch grips for a while, or work on fixing that imbalance through other things, like stretching for tightness, unilateral work for a weak limb, etc.

I use hook grip so I don’t have to worry about it :stuck_out_tongue: