T Nation

Deadlifting Too Loud?!

A couple of weeks ago I started doing Doggcrapp training. I like it. It is pretty intense. I especially like the widowmakers at the end of some workouts, namely squats and deadlifts. Well this past workout, for back thickness my training partner and I decided to do deadlifts. I loaded up the bar with 405 and began my descent into pain and glory.

Now anyone who has ever done any serious deadlifting knows that deadlifts bring out the animal in you. They seperate the men from the boys folks. At about rep number 8 I couldn’t even tell you what I was doing, I was that focused.

Apparently though the bar was dropping too loudly on the floor and my grunts of pain were becoming too loud for the treadmill folks. Sorry guys, I do one set of one exercise that I make some noise on. I mean if you are making noise on a barbell curl then yes you are a complete tool.

Anyway after rep 15, the gym manager comes over and tells us to quiet down and then begins to tell us how he never makes noise when he deadlifts. I tell him to deadlift 405 for 15 reps and see if he puts the bar down softly and isn’t grunting in pain. God I wish there was a key gym in my area. I guess I’ll just have to save up my pennies and open one myself.

Check powerliftingwatch.com for a key gym, I hate gyms like that, gyms are for lifting weights not running on treadmills. I’m glad to be done with commercial gyms.

[quote]Charlemagne wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I started doing Doggcrapp training. I like it. It is pretty intense. I especially like the widowmakers at the end of some workouts, namely squats and deadlifts. Well this past workout, for back thickness my training partner and I decided to do deadlifts. I loaded up the bar with 405 and began my descent into pain and glory.

Now anyone who has ever done any serious deadlifting knows that deadlifts bring out the animal in you. They seperate the men from the boys folks. At about rep number 8 I couldn’t even tell you what I was doing, I was that focused.

Apparently though the bar was dropping too loudly on the floor and my grunts of pain were becoming too loud for the treadmill folks. Sorry guys, I do one set of one exercise that I make some noise on. I mean if you are making noise on a barbell curl then yes you are a complete tool.

Anyway after rep 15, the gym manager comes over and tells us to quiet down and then begins to tell us how he never makes noise when he deadlifts. I tell him to deadlift 405 for 15 reps and see if he puts the bar down softly and isn’t grunting in pain. God I wish there was a key gym in my area. I guess I’ll just have to save up my pennies and open one myself.

[/quote]

I work at a YMCA in CA and we have the same problem. There offices and such below the free weight area. Only a couple of people deadlift there, but it’s an on-going issue. Most gyms these days aren’t gyms they are fitness centers. I’m afraid the old school iron clad gyms are sadly becoming extinct.

[quote]Charlemagne wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I started doing Doggcrapp training. I like it. It is pretty intense. I especially like the widowmakers at the end of some workouts, namely squats and deadlifts. Well this past workout, for back thickness my training partner and I decided to do deadlifts. I loaded up the bar with 405 and began my descent into pain and glory.

Now anyone who has ever done any serious deadlifting knows that deadlifts bring out the animal in you. They seperate the men from the boys folks. At about rep number 8 I couldn’t even tell you what I was doing, I was that focused.

Apparently though the bar was dropping too loudly on the floor and my grunts of pain were becoming too loud for the treadmill folks. Sorry guys, I do one set of one exercise that I make some noise on. I mean if you are making noise on a barbell curl then yes you are a complete tool.

Anyway after rep 15, the gym manager comes over and tells us to quiet down and then begins to tell us how he never makes noise when he deadlifts. I tell him to deadlift 405 for 15 reps and see if he puts the bar down softly and isn’t grunting in pain. God I wish there was a key gym in my area. I guess I’ll just have to save up my pennies and open one myself.

[/quote]

I work at a YMCA in CA and we have the same problem. There offices and such below the free weight area. Only a couple of people deadlift there, but it’s an on-going issue. Most gyms these days aren’t gyms they are fitness centers. I’m afraid the old school iron clad gyms are sadly becoming extinct.

our gym is like that too, however the guys behind the desk are cool about deadlifting and oly lifting, as long as we don’t leave puddles of sweat when we’re done.

Save up and get a homegym. It’ll be one of the best investment you’ll ever make if you plan on lifting for a long time. I’ve come to realize that gyms come and go, but a homegym is yours forever.

I tought that I would be lifting at Gold’s for a very long time but they closed after 2 years of me joining and I couldn’t find a gym with dumbbells heavier than 125 lbs so I built my own.

Haha funny, ever since I hit 405 and above on deadlift, this one little dickhead employee always comes over and yells and me when I deadlift. Says I’m damaging the equipment and disturbing everyone. From then on everytime I came in he would hover close to my training partner and I.

I first pulled 455 for 5, he said one more violation and I’d be kicked out. Ouch. Thankfully, this was toward the end of the semester.

They actually closed the free weights area in the gym of the university i used to attend. 250kg deadlifts were causing structural damage to the building.

I remember being in the store cupboard below, the ceiling was actually caving in.

In hind sight they should have never put a “conditioning suite” on the second floor. And yes there where complaints from people on treadmill. But also on exam weeks when the neighboring sports hall was being used dead lifting was banned.

Dude

That is a bummer. I know this may not be the ideal fix but if you had a platform, and a power rack you could set the pins 1 or 2 slots up and pull from the rack rather than straight off the floor. That might decrease the noise factor a touch. Just an idea. In my opinion you should not have to bother but who am I?

Disturbing people?! Fuck them. The people you are disturbing are people who go to the movie theatre and give their kids a play by play of what is being projected on a 70 foot wide screen 20 feet away.

The gym I’m at is called the “strathclyde weights room” in the basement of our “sports Centre”. Its basically designed for harcore lifting. theres two powerlifting teams that train in there and a few “strongman” competitors.

only thing that pisses me off is that when exams is on the close the whole gym and all we have is the fitness centre. which has a smith machine but plates only going to 100kg and dumbells only going to 15kg. then every fancy machine you can think of.

im no sound expert or anything. but the weights room is 2 floors below the exam hall, while the fitness room is the floor above. yet the leave the fitnes room open! thats seems fairly silly to me.

Scott

I had the same problem when I used to lift at Gold’s gym. Try stacking a couple of aerobics mats on the floor and pulling from them, it will deaden the sound when you put the bar down. Also, make sure the collars are tight on the bar, it will keep the plates from rattling.

You could also switch over to an RDL or something where you don’t have to put the bar down between reps. Otherwise, if you lift at a commercial gym, you are at their mercy.

Yeah, I should have told the manager that the sounds of the people’s fat thighs clapping together on the tread mill was bothering me. Oh yeah that and the emo music in the background.

Is it any coincidence that the pussification of America in our society is coinciding with the disappearance of REAL GYMS? You know ones where people TRAIN, they don’t work out.

Why would you put a free weight area on the second floor?

[quote]Charlemagne wrote:
Yeah, I should have told the manager that the sounds of the people’s fat thighs clapping together on the tread mill was bothering me. Oh yeah that and the emo music in the background.
[/quote]

Now that you know what to say, I would slam the f*cking weights down and tell them to pipe down over at the hamster wheel because you are concentrating!!

I’ve lifted at my school’s gym for the last 2 years. We had a power rack and an Olympic platform with bumpers. I got used to being able to do what I want… whether it was drop the barbell from overhead if I needed to, to touch-and-go speed pulls. We also had chalk. Tons of it.

I just joined a commercial gym since I am out of school. I had a trainer come up to me and tell me he ‘had to stop 2 managers’ from coming over to me. I was repping 315 (I know, nothing impressive), but I also have grip issues due to excessive sweating.

The noise was mostly the sound it makes when you set down the weight, plus the plates rattling. No slamming or anything. I wasn’t doing touch and go either.

Anyways, I told the trainer that if this is the case I’ll cancel my membership. He shrugged.

Next week I saw an older guy doing some deadlifts. I could hear it with my headphones on. I asked him if he had anyone give him shit for it. He said no. I explained to him what had happened and he got pissed and complained to the front. I think they were just trying to walk over me because I am young.

Well the end result that I got was I was told as long as I don’t drop the weight, because that bends the bar, than I can tell anyone who comes up to me to ‘fuck off’. His words. lol.

I rotate ME lifts. Fri is deadlift. I’m curious to see what happens.

Yeah- finding a little hardcore gym is cool. But, honestly, there are a lot of commercial gyms where you can do whatever as long as you have some sense and respct the other patron’s personal space. I train at a key gym twice a week way on th eother side of town. However, I have caught a lot of workouts at a chain gyms over the years. I have dropped big weights in racks, deadlifts, done big rows on the floor, used chalk, etc. and never had a problem. I have always made a point to be real friendly with the staff and the other customers. I think this makes all the difference.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
Why would you put a free weight area on the second floor?[/quote]

Stupidity of gym management isn’t restricted to a particular facility, city, state or country. It’s everywhere. Where I train they’ve just bought 10 100 lbs plates. It’s not so cool when there isn’t enough 25’s and only once in a while someone actually uses them on the leg press. I pitty the women that have to arrange those at closing time.

Ps. If you can do a one legged squat with a 45 plate, use extreme caution with 100’s. They’re f’heavy, nearly crushed my foot off. That’s my Fail Moment for 2008.

Deadlifting 405 x 15 is impressive buy why so high?

Why not 495 x 8 or 585 x 3?

Were you grunting and screaming like a f’mad man?

Is you nickname Meat? Do you wear genie pants and sweaters that say ‘Huge by Choice’?

C’mon dude, doesn’t the sport have it’s share of image problems already? I may only be able to do 405 x 10, but nobody complains since I don’t go balistic and am able to put the weight down without drawing too much attention.

Respect the world and the world will respect you.

In the mean time: How to Lower The Bar Correctly on Deadlifts
tronglifts.com/how-to-lower-the-bar-correctly-on-deadlifts/

[quote]robo1 wrote:
Why would you put a free weight area on the second floor?[/quote]

That’s exactly what I was thinking, because they did the same thing at the new athletic complex at our university. Weight room on the second floor and offices on the ground floor. Some fucking architec.

TNT

[quote]TKOWKD1 wrote:
Deadlifting 405 x 15 is impressive buy why so high?

Why not 495 x 8 or 585 x 3?

Were you grunting and screaming like a f’mad man?

Is you nickname Meat? Do you wear genie pants and sweaters that say ‘Huge by Choice’?

C’mon dude, doesn’t the sport have it’s share of image problems already? I may only be able to do 405 x 10, but nobody complains since I don’t go balistic and am able to put the weight down without drawing too much attention.

Respect the world and the world will respect you. [/quote]

Maybe I was loud, I’m there to train, if that bothers the treadmill folks and management, I really don’t give a fuck. I plan on renting some space and setting up a key gym anyway. Like this guy…