Deadlifting: Sumo Stance or Shoulder Width

Are not Stiff leg for Hamstrings only… why you have to try lengthen yourself so much to put tension in your hams.

I can shift alot of weight for my size conventional,then I have tried dl sumo I cant shift fuck all I just cant drive the weight off the floor, Iam only around 5’6-5’8 ish I agree that sumo is better for the ‘verically gifted’.

I think that were thinking about it too much,I found that people that are shown the two ways will figure it out for themself.
Then they just tend to need some help on their form, then its all about adding the weight.

Is very individual when you have to select an exercise. I can give my opinion from my BB point of view too.

Each movement has its function. For example, I’m very quad dominant, I’m anterior pelvic tilt, maybe I have floor pelvic syndrome, lower cross syndrome, so my hams and gluteus are lagged, my quads and rectus femoral are too developed and my lower back is too hypertrophied , so I can choose to my interest Sumo deadlift to attack my hams and gluteus.

Previously I have to increase my range of motion of my hips, and activate with some exercises my gluteus and hams.

So I can choose snatch grip deadlift on podium to create a irradiation effect, to increase the strength throughout entire body.

I can use this movement to develop my back doing supersets with 1 minute of rest of SG DL and BB rows
Even I can use sumo deadlift to develop my traps, supersetting with 1 minute of rest S DL and DB shrugs.

All varieties of DL have their place in a workout. You have to customize under your conditions and priorities.

Taken from EC’s series of articles about deadlifting…

Sumo Deadlifts

Why use them?

1. Many powerlifters choose them because they actually decrease range of motion by 14%, so it clearly has some benefits for those who are built for it.

2. Generally speaking, a wider stance will carry over better to a squat than a conventional stance â?? especially if you squat with a wide stance.

3. Sumo pulls are aided more by deadlift and squat suits, which provide more “pop” in the bottom position â?? where most sumo pullers tend to miss.

4. Many heavier lifters opt to pull sumo because their bellies get in the way of pulling from the ground conventionally. This “shift” generally takes place during the jump from the 242 to 275-pound weight classes, at least in my experience.

5. Sumo pulls tend to be better in the short-term for those with flexibility limitations and in the long-term for those with longer femurs.

6. The wider stance increases recruitment of the adductors and more medial hamstrings, so they offer variety in a bodybuilding context.

I’m 6’4 with long legs and arms but small torso, and pull sweet fuck all with sumo. I pretty much thought I sucked, but since changing last year, I can now deadlift around 240kg conventionally, it just gels so much easier for me. My back squat sucks balls, with my zercher squat (which I love) nearly equal… so I have no idea what my body wants.

Sumo has a stronger lock-out while conventional has a stronger start. Also, try this. Spread your arms out and notice where your elbows are. This is where your feet should be placed for sumo.

[quote]Daco6543 wrote:

1. Sumo pulls tend to be better in the short-term for those with flexibility limitations and in the long-term for those with longer femurs.
    [/quote]

Thanks for this. Reading the earlier posts, I think it’s not necessarily taller people per se who might prefer the sumo. Rather, the key is the RATIOS of various body parts. Someone mentioned torso vs. lower body length. In addition, I think it’s a femur vs. tibia thing. Those with a relatively longer femur (myself) vs. tibia have a harder time clearing their knees in the conventional deadlift. (My apologies to those at my local Gold’s for my dried blood inside the knurling that I couldn’t quite wash off!)

The only way i can do a (non-bloody shins) shoulder-width stance is if I use a trap bar.

[quote]dr.mcmc wrote:
Daco6543 wrote:

1. Sumo pulls tend to be better in the short-term for those with flexibility limitations and in the long-term for those with longer femurs.

Thanks for this. Reading the earlier posts, I think it’s not necessarily taller people per se who might prefer the sumo. Rather, the key is the RATIOS of various body parts. Someone mentioned torso vs. lower body length. In addition, I think it’s a femur vs. tibia thing. Those with a relatively longer femur (myself) vs. tibia have a harder time clearing their knees in the conventional deadlift. (My apologies to those at my local Gold’s for my dried blood inside the knurling that I couldn’t quite wash off!)

The only way i can do a (non-bloody shins) shoulder-width stance is if I use a trap bar.[/quote]

Have you tried wearing sweatpants while deadlifting?

[quote]Daco6543 wrote:

Have you tried wearing sweatpants while deadlifting?[/quote]

Good suggestion. Someone also once mentioned putting baby powder (not lifting chalk) on one’s shins. I should try either. Right now, it’s just easier to grab a pair of dumbbells (or trap bar) and be done with it.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
Long torso= sumo
Short torso= conventional

Correct me if I’m wrong[/quote]

maybe a stupid question, but when exactly do i know, if my torso is short or long? (can’t really tell :>)

[quote]add1cted wrote:
Therizza wrote:
Long torso= sumo

Correct me if I’m wrong

maybe a stupid question, but when exactly do i know, if my torso is short or long? (can’t really tell :>)[/quote]

It’s more a matter of how long or short your torso is in relation to your limbs. You know, the old ecto/endomorph thing.

[quote]Daco6543 wrote:
add1cted wrote:
Therizza wrote:
Long torso= sumo

Correct me if I’m wrong

maybe a stupid question, but when exactly do i know, if my torso is short or long? (can’t really tell :>)

It’s more a matter of how long or short your torso is in relation to your limbs. You know, the old ecto/endomorph thing.[/quote]

I don’t think the body types have much to do with limb length.

If you have long legs and relatively short arms, then conventional is going to be a problem for you. Sumo would be more comfortable, most likely.
Same with squatting: long upper legs can make narrow stance squatting a bitch.

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
Daco6543 wrote:
add1cted wrote:
Therizza wrote:
Long torso= sumo

Correct me if I’m wrong

It’s more a matter of how long or short your torso is in relation to your limbs. You know, the old ecto/endomorph thing.

If you have long legs and relatively short arms, then conventional is going to be a problem for you. Sumo would be more comfortable, most likely.
Same with squatting: long upper legs can make narrow stance squatting a bitch.[/quote]

Hmm, I was under the impression that body types were based on limb length. Oh well.

And I can personally attest to wide stance lifts being easier for those with long femurs. When I’m in the gym I do traditional stance deadlifts, but when I’m lifting something heavy off the floor outside the gym I drop down into a sumo stance without even thinking about it. I’m sure front squats are going to be fun when I finally get around to starting to do them.

[quote]Daco6543 wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
Daco6543 wrote:
add1cted wrote:
Therizza wrote:
Long torso= sumo

Correct me if I’m wrong

Same with squatting: long upper legs can make narrow stance squatting a bitch.

Hmm, I was under the impression that body types were based on limb length. Oh well.

And I can personally attest to wide stance lifts being easier for those with long femurs. When I’m in the gym I do traditional stance deadlifts, but when I’m lifting something heavy off the floor outside the gym I drop down into a sumo stance without even thinking about it. I’m sure front squats are going to be fun when I finally get around to starting to do them.[/quote]

From what i’ve read (keep in mind I don’t pay much attention to these in general though) the different somatotypes refer to the body’s general appearance, muscularity, tendency to gain fat, speed of metabolism, etc. I haven’t seen correlations between the body types and limb length.

I just pulled sumo today actually. With a long upper leg it definitely is easier to drop down while keeping the natural arch in my back. I think I can do this with conventional, IF I get low enough, however my legs (and upper body it seems) are roughly parallel to the ground like a squat, and there is little margin of error once the weight get high. What I mean is if the weight got heavier i’m sure i’d pop my ass up first and hitch the weight up which, with an already aggravated lower back, would not be good =)

Besides physical structure(limb & torso lengths). Lack of hip and leg mobility can be a huge hinderance in pulling sumo. In my own experience as well as working with others, the mobility and flexibility of these two areas can prevent someone from pulling a substantial amount of weight in the sumo deadlift.