T Nation

Deadlifting: I Can't...

Stop!!

And here you thought I was gonna say I couldn’t. I don’t know what it is about dead lifting but I can’t stop. I love to do it. I’ve been out for a while due to work and other play so I’m back again.

I like to keep my lifting sessions shorter (sub 40 minutes) so I’ve been working on a 5x5 that I put together with some main lifts ie: flat bench, squat, deads, rows. Along with some extra help in problem areas: glutes, abs, etc. Mixing it up with variations like front squats, sumo deads, upright rows, seated rows, etc. Just wanted to comment on the deadlift and how kick ass it is. I gotta go squat.

mike

Yes. It is a cool movement.

But cleans are better!

I’m just starting to get the hang of deadlifts. The only thing I’m concerned about is how heavy it hits my back. I thought it was mainly a posterior chain exercise, but I try to do them Ian King style (http://t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=39power) and it definitely hits my lower back the hardest. Not that I mind, I love pythons running down the sides of my back, but I do hope it hits the hamstrings too without me knowing, heh, I don’t want to add Good Mornings or RDLs in the program too.

I have a hard time doing RDL’s for some reason. Once my lifts start increasing I can tell you where I will hit the wall (~315 DL, 295 squat). I was at a conference with Mike Robertson early in the summer. He mentioned that I should do more glute / hamstring work to minimize this wall. I’m trying to incorporate it but RDL’s and GHR’s are hard for me to do. Oh well, guess that is why not everyone has great lower body development.

ps: had a good workout tonigth (squats, rows, glutes, abs and cardio).

mike

[quote]Sxio wrote:

But cleans are better![/quote]

You havent lived until youve snatched :slight_smile:

[quote]B-Tosh wrote:
Sxio wrote:

But cleans are better!

You havent lived until youve snatched :-)[/quote]

Not until you’ve snatched bodyweight :wink: