T Nation

Deadlifting Help

I am getting seriously into the pull, and I am doing well, but I have a form issue that I haven’t resolved yet, and I wonder if anyone else is like this.

I can lift the weight very easily, yet I get the most work, the most “pump”, from slowly setting it down. Is this wrong? I would like to lift more weight on the way up (3-5 reps), but I don’t know how it would affect me putting it down.

I don’t want to just drop the weight and piss off everyone in the gym. Is this going to hurt me in the long run?

You are fine. This is really what is on your mind these days?

Sounds like you are in a really bad situation there. If you are lifting a decent amount of weight and are still concerned with to use a Poliquin phrase “slackers and fat cows” that dont know how to lift, you have to check your priorities.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
I am getting seriously into the pull, and I am doing well, but I have a form issue that I haven’t resolved yet, and I wonder if anyone else is like this.

I can lift the weight very easily, yet I get the most work, the most “pump”, from slowly setting it down. Is this wrong? I would like to lift more weight on the way up (3-5 reps), but I don’t know how it would affect me putting it down.

I don’t want to just drop the weight and piss off everyone in the gym. Is this going to hurt me in the long run?[/quote]

You have to decide whether or not you want to lift big or get a “pump”. To lift big, you really only need to be concerned with the pull. I don’t drop the bar from the top but I don’t try to control it on the way down either.

If you are training for strength, find a gym were you can dead correctly. I had to leave more than one gym becuase they didn’t understand what it takes to get really strong. I had this twig of a general manager come up to me one day at a gold’s gym and tell me that I was lifting too much weight because I couldn’t control the weight on the way down. I told him that controlling the weight on the way down does nothing for me other than to make me more tired for my next lift. Besides, the judges in a powerlifting meet aren’t going to say- “wow, that guy really let that bar down nice and slow!”

Get strong-fuck everyone else…

meat

Why don’t you just lift big some days and do your negative work other days?

Don’t worry about pissing people off. There are more annoying things in the gym than someone dropping a big weight after deadlifting. Also, if you can pull the weight, you can probably somewhat control the fall.

Keep getting stronger

I find it funny (or really sad) that dropping the bar during deadlifts is a crime but doing curls in a power cage/rack is fair game.

[quote]Brahms wrote:
I find it funny (or really sad) that dropping the bar during deadlifts is a crime but doing curls in a power cage/rack is fair game.[/quote]

Amen…

It’s really sad that I’ve been kicked out of two gyms for doing deads and people are allowed to throw dumbells after a heavy set of 40lb inclines and leave bars loaded as if their mommys were going to clean up after them.

meat

Thanks, guys. I’m 90% certain there are some padded weights somewhere in the gym, that reduce sound when they hit the ground, so I’ll see if I can find them, so I can focus on lifting big on the way up.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Thanks, guys. I’m 90% certain there are some padded weights somewhere in the gym, that reduce sound when they hit the ground, so I’ll see if I can find them, so I can focus on lifting big on the way up.[/quote]

In the famous picture of Franko Columbo deadlifting 730 pounds he has folded up towels on the groud to set the weights on. Consider bringing towels to your pull session.