Deadlifting Grip

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Straps are easy to get dependent on though. I’m not a big proponent, but I suppose if used properly and sparingly.[/quote]

Come on Trib.

give the masses some credit. I think straps are quite beneficial. Why wait for grip strength to catch up? You can work on that at the same time and soon enough you’ll have it where you want it. In the mean time, why shortchange your workout because of a weak link.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
give the masses some credit. I think straps are quite beneficial. Why wait for grip strength to catch up? You can work on that at the same time and soon enough you’ll have it where you want it. In the mean time, why shortchange your workout because of a weak link.[/quote]

Maybe I’m projecting my own issue I had with em on others. Years back I started using em for shrugs and then deadlifts, I caught myself before it spread to rows and pulldowns. I let myself get to where I couldn’t go heavy enough on some movements without em and never really did get my grip where I wanted. This time I just refused to use straps and my grip has kept up. I also didn’t do much grip specific work before either though.

Read this:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/strong_hands.htm

Also, besides straps, have you tried chalk?

I’ve noticed that my grip went up after I decided to use straps on deadlifts.

Probably I was overtraining the forearms with all the other stuff (shrugs, calf raises). Your hands and forearms NEVER get a day off you know. They’re taxed every training and most of the exercises.