Deadlifting Frequency

I am approaching a working set of 400lbs for my dead lift. I follow double progression method which has proven to be easy to follow and consistent in its results. My routine is simple, I pick a weight to perform for 3 sets of 5 reps. Each week I add 1 rep while keeping the weight the same until I can perform 3 sets of 8, though I might go to 10 depending how I feel after my cycle. The trick is to pick a weight that is heavy for the 3x5, which is subjective.

Currently my working weight is 375lbs and I am on my 3 sets of 7 phase. It can feel already that it is getting tough to maintain consistent heavy deadlifting with the volumes I am working with. When I finish my 3 sets of 8 I am bumping up the weight to 400lbs and starting again from 3 sets of 5.

I dont think this method will be sustainable for 400lbs, but it has worked very well when I was using 335, 355, and currently 375lbs. How should I reduce my volume while maintaining the same general format to my lifts?

I would do what you are doing until it no longer works. Only then change up.
As a side note, I rarely deadlift at all over than one clean to get into position for clean pulls and snatch pulls. That’s enough to bring up my deadlift a little with some light squatting thrown in. Probably not ideal but it keeps back discomfort to a minimum.

Also I think your strategy of reducing your volume would continue your progress for a good while.

3x8x375=9,000

3x5x400= 6,000

3x6x400=7,200

3x7x400=8,400

3x8x400=9,600

Cutting the reps, reduces the volume and keeps everything else the same.

1 Like

Aero - I assume you’re doing 3x5 once a week. Are you doing any accessory movements?

On Squat days I do reeves SLDLS (gets the lower back and grip more) as my primary accessory work. On deadlift days I do landmine deadlifts (as an accessory) with a very wide stance because I need to strengthen the inside of my legs. I also do reverse lunges as they hit the glutes pretty well.

Hello,

What do you mean with your post ? Could you please explain it more to me.

One way to compare your training session from today, with the workout you did last week or one you are planning for next week, is to figure how much you lifted. This can be called “volume” or “tonnage” or “work.” People sometimes get worked up over jargon, so focus on the concepts, not the words.

Sets x Reps x Weight

3 sets of 8 with 375 equals 9,000 pounds lifted.

Increasing weight(from 375 to 400), while keeping sets and reps the same(3x8) would increase the total work done.

3x8x400=9,600

Dropping the reps down(from 8 to 5), would remove some of the work from the load.

3x5x400=6,000

Obviously, this doesn’t tell the whole story. You can’t just deadlift 6,000 pounds for 1 rep and call it a workout. But you can evaluate your workouts against eachother.

For example;
You did about 9,000 pounds worth of deadlifts last week.

This week, you add weight, but do fewer reps per set. The bar is heavier, but you don’t feel as wiped out because you did less total work. Only 6,000 pounds worth.

It’s possible that you feel so good, you decide to do a few back off sets. Lets say 3 sets of 10 with 275. That’s theoretically doable?
3x10x275=7,500

Those back offs just added a lot of “work.” If you add that to the heavier sets(6,000 + 7,500=13,500) you can see you did way more than you did the week before (9,000). If you felt beat up after that, and you can’t recover by your next Deadlift session, you could do less in the future.

If you’re not sure about getting all 5 reps on each set with 400, you could try Clusters.

Instead of going through all 5 reps continuos, you do 1 or maybe two. Drop the bar, stand up take 2-3 seconds, reset and do 1 more. Until you get up to 5. Rest just like between normal sets, then do another “cluster.” Repeat once more.

The following week, use 400 for 3 Clusters again, but use less resets and do more continuous reps.

You could come up with a strict, slow plan, or “auto regulate.” You could spend 2 or 3, or even 7-8 weeks working your way to 3 Sets of 5 continuous reps with 400.

Edit:
C. Thibs SURELY has a plan similar to, but way better than this.