Deadlifting Form Questions

Ok, so my issue at the moment is I am experiencing intense DOMS in my thoracic spine 24-48 hours after deadlifting.

Latley, Ive been attempting to keep the bar as close to my knees and my trunk upright while emphasizing hip flexion.

With this in mind, I would appreciate feedback on the following questions:

1. It seems leaning foward farther with the bar away from my knees would load my lumbar spine. But would it actually be beneficial
    to direct the bar a bit farther foward?

2. Much of my concious effort during this lift is directed to sitting back on my heels to emphasize hip flexion. Should I concentrate on
    shifting more weight to the midfoot versus the heel?

3. How wide of a foot stance should be taken to ideally stress the hamstrings?

Any responses to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and I look foward to hearing from you soon.

[quote]thespotter wrote:
Ok, so my issue at the moment is I am experiencing intense DOMS in my thoracic spine 24-48 hours after deadlifting.[/quote] No surprise there.

[quote]Latley, Ive been attempting to keep the bar as close to my knees and my trunk upright while emphasizing hip flexion.[/quote] Excellent idea.

[quote]With this in mind, I would appreciate feedback on the following questions:

1. It seems leaning foward farther with the bar away from my knees would load my lumbar spine. But would it actually be beneficial
    to direct the bar a bit farther foward?[/quote] No. You want as little lower back spinal erector loading as possible. You want your glutes and hammies bearing the load. That way, you’ll lift heavier, and you won’t strain your lower back.

[quote]2. Much of my concious effort during this lift is directed to sitting back on my heels to emphasize hip flexion. Should I concentrate on
shifting more weight to the midfoot versus the heel?[/quote] No! As soon as you shift weight off your heels, you set yourself up to strain your arches and pull tendons up and down your posterior chain. The heel is a position of power. Never leave it behind.

[quote]3. How wide of a foot stance should be taken to ideally stress the hamstrings?[/quote] That depends. Try different stance widths. Each person is different. I have my feet wider than my shoulders, with the toes pointed way out. I also set up narrower as well as my feet touching the plates. Each stance targets different parts of the posterior chain.

The basic answers to your questions lie in your biomechanics. Each lifter is different in what is mechanically adventageous to them. When I pull, I pull with a narrow stance relative to others of my stature, and the bar almost never touches my shins.

I know other guys who must wear socks/duct tape/etc just to avoid bleeding all over the bar.

I am certain that you should keep your weight fully on the heels, however.

Hope that helps.