Deadlifting for Stubby Guys

Christian, I just finished the week 8 ME day for this program: Deadlifting for Stubby Guys

At the beginning of the program, I had been stalled at a 375 deadlift for a couple months. I read the background for the program and really felt like it fit my body type and sticking points so I decided to give it a go. It’s always been that anything that passes my knees will fly up.

I deviated a couple ways from the program as it was written:
–On the fourth week, I regressed severely on my max effort, so I decided to take a week off. When I came back to do week 5 I hit a new PR. Week 7 I went for a new rep max at 90% instead of trying for a new 1RM. Weeks 7 and 8 I went for PRs.
–On the speed day, I did the box squats ramping and heavier than programmed since I didn’t have any bands.
–On the speed days for the double start deadlifts, I started at 60% as programmed, but then just increased the weight every week.

With these adjustments, I ran the program. I just hit 435 for a double, which is 60lbs more than I could hit for a single when I started. I will add that I started using a belt, which I hadn’t used before I started the program, so that accounts for some of the gains. However, I hit 405 beltless rather easily, so this program works.

For me, I really felt like the GM’s and paused RDL’s were key. These really made me confident and tight as I pull through my mid-shin sticking point.

I have a contest coming up in 2 weeks for strongman and I am going to try to hit 455 at the top of a deadlift ladder, so I’ll see how it goes. I’ll finish the speed day on Thursday and then take a couple weeks off heavy deadlifts to prepare.

Thanks for your program. It’s been fantastic and I will probably run it again, as my sticking point is still mid-shin and I’m still relatively strong above the knee.