T Nation

Deadlifting Competition in 2 Months

So Ive been training at the gym with an older guy in his 50’s. I asked him for some tips and we’ve been training together ever since. This guy keeps me moving like a fucking freight train. His motto is “mass moves mass”. Long story short him and his buddies put my strength to shame.

So a lifting competition is coming up in 2 months. I want to try the dead lift. My friend thinks ill do alright so i was just wondering if anyone goes to some meets, maybe knows were i can find some stats in my age/weight class that i could compare with. I’m 22; i weigh 200 lbs and i can dead lift around 350 pounds. -Thanks in advance

These are some general strength standards, not powerlifting strength standards (which are significantly higher) but they should give you a general feeling of where you are:

http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html

According to:

http://www.usapl-ca.org/records/mensjuniorpl.html

The Men’s 198 Junior CA state record is 655lbs in the deadlift, so you won’t be setting any records, but why not go have fun and meet some people who share your interest?

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
According to:

The Men’s 198 Junior CA state record is 655lbs in the deadlift, so you won’t be setting any records, but why not go have fun and meet some people who share your interest?[/quote]

seriously go and just have a good time. no one cares what you’re lifting. i just did my first meet about 3 weeks ago and it was awesome. and i was one of like 2 guys lifting raw in a meet with 200 some lifters. so yeah i felt a little out of place. but everyone was cool and i got a lot of good advice, especially on when to start warming up before my flight. i hit a PR in my squat and went 8-9 on the day and i’m hooked now. so go. you’ll have a great time.

[quote]tin_soldier wrote:
So Ive been training at the gym with an older guy in his 50’s. I asked him for some tips and we’ve been training together ever since. This guy keeps me moving like a fucking freight train. His motto is “mass moves mass”. Long story short him and his buddies put my strength to shame.

So a lifting competition is coming up in 2 months. I want to try the dead lift. My friend thinks ill do alright so i was just wondering if anyone goes to some meets, maybe knows were i can find some stats in my age/weight class that i could compare with. I’m 22; i weigh 200 lbs and i can dead lift around 350 pounds. -Thanks in advance[/quote]

That’s sweet that your competing but a 350 pound dead at 200 is not good.

What’s your training like? You could possibly make that pull quite a bit better if you plan this right.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
tin_soldier wrote:

So a lifting competition is coming up in 2 months. I want to try the dead lift. My friend thinks ill do alright so i was just wondering if anyone goes to some meets, maybe knows were i can find some stats in my age/weight class that i could compare with. I’m 22; i weigh 200 lbs and i can dead lift around 350 pounds. -Thanks in advance

What’s your training like? You could possibly make that pull quite a bit better if you plan this right.[/quote]

dont discourage dude, lol. My first competition my entire total was a 275 squat, 200 bench, 315 dead. Now thats a beat total but I still went and had one HELL of a time!! OP, just go! im sure your lifting entourage will be there and help you through it. It will be tons of fun man, youll love it

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
According to:

The Men’s 198 Junior CA state record is 655lbs in the deadlift, so you won’t be setting any records, but why not go have fun and meet some people who share your interest?[/quote]

yeah I’m not planning on it haha, but yeah like you said I’m just going to try it out; have a good time and learn some new techniques. Oh and not try a max pull right off. I heard you have to stay or go higher on your 2nd and 3rd attempts. Hey checkmate thanks for the stats. Ill keep you guys posted when I’m through with the meet.

[quote]Checkmate wrote:
These are some general strength standards, not powerlifting strength standards (which are significantly higher) but they should give you a general feeling of where you are:

http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html[/quote]

according to that i can pull the “advanced” weight 3 times

…with straps =P

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
tin_soldier wrote:

What’s your training like? You could possibly make that pull quite a bit better if you plan this right.

dont discourage dude, lol. My first competition my entire total was a 275 squat, 200 bench, 315 dead. Now thats a beat total but I still went and had one HELL of a time!! OP, just go! im sure your lifting entourage will be there and help you through it. It will be tons of fun man, youll love it
[/quote]

Not my intention. My first meet I went bomb/bomb/335 @ 153. I’m suggesting he let the good people here review his training so he can get that deadlift up even higher.

haa i know zephead just joshing you. Nothing like your first competition. Its like your first time haveing sex. No matter how good or bad the experience was, always want more when all is said and done!