T Nation

Deadlifting and squats

My main goal is to put on as much muscle as possible and from what I can surmise the best way to do this is to focus on the big lifts primarily squats and deadlifts. My question is I have been putting squats on my leg day and deads on my back day. I was wondering what others experiences have been using these exercises and if you have gotten good results putting them on seperate days or even in the same program.

I separated my legs into two days. On Monday I would do deadlifts and Thursday I would do Squat type exercises.
I used to quads and hamstrings on the same day. By splitting them in two I have noticed a lot better results in mass and strength. I suggest trying this for about a month and see how well it works for you.

I have usually done dead lifts on back day. Squats on my quad day, and then i do Stiff-leg deadlifts on my hamstring day. those damn things make me sore all weekend and i love it.

I just wanted to experiment, so i tried squats and deadlifts on the same day, 5 x 5. I like it, its hard on you though.

I do deads on Monday and squats on Friday. Gives me enough rest in between and I can work them hard! I do the deads first in the week to make up for an imbalance between hams and quads. Works well for me!

During the winter this past year I went to splitting my leg workouts into quad/hamstring, and enjoyed it and felt I saw gains and results. One workout I included seated calves, the other standing calves. Now, with summer upon me and my having cranked up both road and mountain biking a few times per week, I’m back down to one leg workout weekly for three months. To further complicate my life, just last week I moved deadlifts to my squat day, ending up doing squats, presses, SLDL, deadlifts, and calves. It’s a freakin’ monster workout, but I need to cram them all in so I can recover enough to ride (plus I’m doing two tire flipping workouts weekly, did one today over lunch hour).
If you have space in your life, split your legs into two workouts, and include deadlifts in whichever one works best for you. Experiment with each system for six weeks or so and see what happens. The best thing you’ve got going for yourself is that you’re prioritizing these compound exercises.