Deadlift Weak in Contrast to Squat

I’ve done 5/3/1 exclusively since I started lifting again after a 13 year layoff 18 months ago.

I will be attempting a 700 pound squat and 675 deadlift next Saturday in a meet.

Eric Lilliebridge only does each lift heavy every two weeks. I guess he is weak as well.

Experienced lifters almost always have higher squats than deadlifts. It’s one of the signs that you’ve been training for a while.

[quote]Discobolus wrote:
Experienced lifters almost always have higher squats than deadlifts. It’s one of the signs that you’ve been training for a while. [/quote]

I’m not so sure this is true in raw lifting. Definitely not true of the weight classes 198 and under.

This certainly does have merit in geared lifting though.

That’s only guys who compete equipped, few raw lifters can squat more than they can deadlift.

A lot of people respond better to higher frequency, but generalized statements are useless. I got decent gains off 5/3/1 for a while, but I’m doing better with more frequency now.

OK, it’s true that there are more equipment factors that enhance the squat and each gives a bump in the squat number. I’m talking Monolift, knee wraps, squat suit, briefs.

What I was getting at was that the ratios change as your training age advances. When I first started lifting my deadlift was quite a bit higher than my squat. That is probably the norm for new lifters. As I kept training my squat has increased at a higher rate than my deadlift. That is totally normal as well, and I think the heavier you are the more potential for squatting more than deadlifting is.

That is because having a big gut helps the squat and hurts the deadlift. Being lean and long helps the deadlift and hurts the squat.

Lol. Yes, if you’re talking about squat suits, particularly multi-ply, that’s an entire game changer. The world record deadlift for equipped lifting is within a few lbs of the raw record. Both are just over 1000. However, the best raw squat is around 1050, while the best equipped squat is something like 1270.

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Pull looks fairly well. You didn’t really put much aggression behind the pull. You also didn’t really load the hamstrings to well and take full advantage of the stretch reflex. Also pretty sure I didn’t see a belt in either of the videos. A belt can add a few pounds right off. As for the pull have you considered trying sumo and seeing how you feel with it?

Lastly, what program if any are you following?[/quote]

How do I put more aggression behind the pull and is there any video tutorials or helpful guides to help me “load the hamstrings” and “take advantage of the stretch reflex”? I’ve ordered a belt online but it’ll only arrive 2-3 months from now. I’ve tried sumo and it doesn’t feel like it makes much of a difference other than the fact that I tend to round my back more doing sumo. I’m currently on 5/3/1.[/quote]

Learn how to tighten yourself up. Grip harder. If you’re not confident in your gripping, focus on learning how to grip (yes, this isn’t as intuitive as it seems to everyone). Using some bands can help you feel tension. Putting a band in front of the bar can help you feel your lats during the movement as well. Note, I am not saying to replace your current menu with banded loads – just use them as a tool to get a feel for the movement.

Try starting with a lot of warm-ups at one plate. Focus on building speed on every new rep and set. Even with the light weight, grip it and pull it with the same kind of attention you would give your max. If you speed up and you think you’ve started going fast, you’re probably not – go watch Eric Lilliebridge to see what a fast pull looks like.

Considering how slowly and well-controlled you lowered that weight, I am sure you already have a higher pull inside you once you fine tune the smaller details.

For raw lifters, too, the stockier, fatter ones won’t be very good deadlifts but will be excellent squatters. Look at Ray Williams and Jezza Uepa. They are both insane squatters putting up +400 kg raw @ around 160-170 kg BW, but 93 kg Wierzbicki from Poland beats their deadlifts by over 50 kg, yet squats, I do believe, under 300 kg raw. Also from the lifters I know, the fat stocky ones won’t be very good pullers, but will kick everyone’s ass in the squat. I know 300 lbs. guy who squats 800+ lbs. in single-ply gear, yet can’t deadlift 550 lbs. currently. Similarly, I know a skinny 6"1’ 190 lbs. 18 year old who puts up 550 lbs. easily in the deadlift, but can’t squat 400 lbs.

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:
For raw lifters, too, the stockier, fatter ones won’t be very good deadlifts but will be excellent squatters. [/quote]

Tell that to Benni Magnusson :wink:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Lol. Yes, if you’re talking about squat suits, particularly multi-ply, that’s an entire game changer. The world record deadlift for equipped lifting is within a few lbs of the raw record. Both are just over 1000. However, the best raw squat is around 1050, while the best equipped squat is something like 1270.[/quote]

Last I knew the raw deadlift record was higher than the multi-ply one.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Lol. Yes, if you’re talking about squat suits, particularly multi-ply, that’s an entire game changer. The world record deadlift for equipped lifting is within a few lbs of the raw record. Both are just over 1000. However, the best raw squat is around 1050, while the best equipped squat is something like 1270.[/quote]

Last I knew the raw deadlift record was higher than the multi-ply one.[/quote]

Yea it still is, can’t remember exactly what it is but Benni has it. It’s less than 1050. I was thinking 1040ish.

EDIT: looked it up, I’m way off. It’s 1015

I’m 5’9", 198 and have long arms (wingspan 6’2"). Deadlift is my best lift, by far. Anecdotally the longer leaner guys seem to be good pullers. I’m approaching the numbers of the 220lb class guys who are shorter and stockier in my training group, even though I give up 20 lbs and 20 years.

But why is that? Is it just arm length or something else?

This thread is making me rethink my squat and deadlift ratio a bit. My competition squat is higher than my competition deadlift by 25 pounds but I think this is heavily influenced by knee wraps (I get a lot out of them) and a monolift. A walked out raw squat is going to be lower than my deadlift. I have a weird build.

I’m tall (6’4") but have short legs (32" inseam) but long arms (6’ 10" arm span). I think if I were to lose some substantial bodyfat I would deadlift even more because my large gut and thighs get in the way. Maybe I’m more built for the deadlift than I originally thought.

[quote]Discobolus wrote:
This thread is making me rethink my squat and deadlift ratio a bit. My competition squat is higher than my competition deadlift by 25 pounds but I think this is heavily influenced by knee wraps (I get a lot out of them) and a monolift. A walked out raw squat is going to be lower than my deadlift. I have a weird build.

I’m tall (6’4") but have short legs (32" inseam) but long arms (6’ 10" arm span). I think if I were to lose some substantial bodyfat I would deadlift even more because my large gut and thighs get in the way. Maybe I’m more built for the deadlift than I originally thought. [/quote]

Try some 1-2" mat pulls to see how much stronger your pull is when your back is in a better position. If there is a very large difference then your gut could be affecting your setup. Your legs will be in an advantageous position to lift more but this should just be a quick assessment to see if your back position is significantly affected by bodyfat.

[quote]Discobolus wrote:

I’m tall (6’4") but have short legs (32" inseam) but long arms (6’ 10" arm span). I think if I were to lose some substantial bodyfat I would deadlift even more because my large gut and thighs get in the way. Maybe I’m more built for the deadlift than I originally thought. [/quote]

Try some 1-2" mat pulls to see how much stronger your pull is when your back is in a better position. If there is a very large difference then your gut could be affecting your setup. Your legs will be in an advantageous position to lift more but this should just be a quick assessment to see if your back position is significantly affected by bodyfat.