T Nation

Deadlift Weak in Contrast to Squat


#1

My max squat is 140kgs whereas my max deadlift is 150kgs. I've done rack pulls where the bar is set right above my knee and I can go up to 200kgs for that, I've no idea whats stopping me from deadlifting more weight. Anyone has any suggestions?


Benanything's Training Log
Benanything's Training Log
Benanything's Training Log
#2
  1. With out a video of both lifts your not going to get much feed back. You could be squatting high which could be causing you to have a inflated squat compared to the deadlift or maybe your deadlift form is so shitty you are losing 10% or more on the floor. Maybe your doing both.

  2. Pulling from above the knee is not at all a good lift for strength assessment when considering the deadlift from the floor. My best off the floor is 600 my best from 18" so mid knee is 725 when I shove my knees under and strongman hitch. So shitty selection of assessment.

  3. What do you weigh? If you weigh 150lbs the lifts aren’t bad. If you weigh 250lbs then yeah you have some issues. How long have you been training and how long have you been stalled.

  4. You may in the best case scenario have great technique in both lifts, have leverages to have them so close, and maybe you just need to get stronger. I for example. Best pull with out straps is 585 best squat with out wraps is 550.

Answer the above and post a video and we will get you squared up.


#3

I currently weight 155lbs. The videos I’ve uploaded are from a few weeks back but I think they’ll do in terms of assessment of my form.


#4

Here’s the other video, sorry bout the weird ass rotation. I started strength training in January and had to stop from May to August and continued right after that.


#5

I’ll take a look if no one else has in a fee hours won’t load on my phone. But man to have been training just under a year with a fee monts lay off and already have a 2x bw raw squat and pull is not a bad thing in my opinion. Honestly though at this point you might wanna consider upping calories? 155 is pretty small unless your 5foot tall. how tall are you? What does your training look like?


#6

currently 5foot9. When I started out I probably weighed around 115lbs. Trying hard to maintain a caloric surplus with school and camps and all going on all the time. That and well, us Asians do have very small serving portions when it comes to food.


#7

Lol eat more small servings. But in all seriousness a 40lbs increase is a awesome gain since a years time. ,


#8

Not nearly good enough though. Hoping to break some national records over here by November of next year(there are only 3 meets a year here and 2 of them are invite only). Call me overly ambitious but I think I’ve a shot. The records for U74 sub junior IPF in my country is 165/100.5/225 for the Squat/Bench/Deadlift respectively. I’m currently at 140/80/160 but hey, at least I still have a year to work on it. I just want it so badly.


#9

[quote]Benanything wrote:
Here’s the other video, sorry bout the weird ass rotation. I started strength training in January and had to stop from May to August and continued right after that.[/quote]

Squat looks pretty good. Personally would like a little more hip break to help you keep knees from tracking as far forward. Forward Tracking is ok however if you will notice it is causing you to press with your toes and your hell actually comes off the ground close to the top of the squat due to the off balance position. Take this with a grain of salt as the video is sideways and sped up on my computer so kinda hard to see the small stuff. But in general focus on pushing knees out and staying on the heel and mid foot.


#10

[quote]Benanything wrote:
I currently weight 155lbs. The videos I’ve uploaded are from a few weeks back but I think they’ll do in terms of assessment of my form.[/quote]

Pull looks fairly well. You didnt really put much aggression behind the pull. You also didn’t really load the hamstrings to well and take full advantage of the stretch reflex. Also pretty sure I didn’t see a belt in either of the videos. A belt can add a few pounds right off. As for the pull have you considered trying sumo and seeing how you feel with it?

Lastly, what program if any are you following?


#11

[quote]Benanything wrote:
Not nearly good enough though. Hoping to break some national records over here by November of next year(there are only 3 meets a year here and 2 of them are invite only). Call me overly ambitious but I think I’ve a shot. The records for U74 sub junior IPF in my country is 165/100.5/225 for the Squat/Bench/Deadlift respectively. I’m currently at 140/80/160 but hey, at least I still have a year to work on it. I just want it so badly.[/quote]

That’s an excellent goal, but it will be very, very difficult to reach those lifts while not adding any bodyweight. Probably not possible. At your height, you’re not competing in the most favorable weight class. You will likely have more success in powerlifting by moving up in weight.


#12

[quote]Reed wrote:

Pull looks fairly well. You didn’t really put much aggression behind the pull. You also didn’t really load the hamstrings to well and take full advantage of the stretch reflex. Also pretty sure I didn’t see a belt in either of the videos. A belt can add a few pounds right off. As for the pull have you considered trying sumo and seeing how you feel with it?

Lastly, what program if any are you following?[/quote]

How do I put more aggression behind the pull and is there any video tutorials or helpful guides to help me “load the hamstrings” and “take advantage of the stretch reflex”? I’ve ordered a belt online but it’ll only arrive 2-3 months from now. I’ve tried sumo and it doesn’t feel like it makes much of a difference other than the fact that I tend to round my back more doing sumo. I’m currently on 5/3/1.


#13

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

That’s an excellent goal, but it will be very, very difficult to reach those lifts while not adding any bodyweight. Probably not possible. At your height, you’re not competing in the most favorable weight class. You will likely have more success in powerlifting by moving up in weight.[/quote]

what would be a a favorable weight class for my height?


#14

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

That’s an excellent goal, but it will be very, very difficult to reach those lifts while not adding any bodyweight. Probably not possible. At your height, you’re not competing in the most favorable weight class. You will likely have more success in powerlifting by moving up in weight.[/quote]

what would be a a favorable weight class for my height?[/quote]

I’m of the opinion that if you want to put up really awesome totals (elite level), you’ll probably end up competing at least at 90kg


#15

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

That’s an excellent goal, but it will be very, very difficult to reach those lifts while not adding any bodyweight. Probably not possible. At your height, you’re not competing in the most favorable weight class. You will likely have more success in powerlifting by moving up in weight.[/quote]

what would be a a favorable weight class for my height?[/quote]

I’m of the opinion that if you want to put up really awesome totals (elite level), you’ll probably end up competing at least at 90kg[/quote]

Holy shit, that sounds ridiculously far away hahahaha. What weight class should I compete in next year though?


#16

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

That’s an excellent goal, but it will be very, very difficult to reach those lifts while not adding any bodyweight. Probably not possible. At your height, you’re not competing in the most favorable weight class. You will likely have more success in powerlifting by moving up in weight.[/quote]

what would be a a favorable weight class for my height?[/quote]

I’m of the opinion that if you want to put up really awesome totals (elite level), you’ll probably end up competing at least at 90kg[/quote]
Agreed, either 90 or 100 kilos is about where most people should be at 5’9". I’m 5’9" as well and don’t see any way I’m going to be extremely successful at 82.5 not to mention 75, or whatever the IPF classes are


#17

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

That’s an excellent goal, but it will be very, very difficult to reach those lifts while not adding any bodyweight. Probably not possible. At your height, you’re not competing in the most favorable weight class. You will likely have more success in powerlifting by moving up in weight.[/quote]

what would be a a favorable weight class for my height?[/quote]

I’m of the opinion that if you want to put up really awesome totals (elite level), you’ll probably end up competing at least at 90kg[/quote]

Holy shit, that sounds ridiculously far away hahahaha. What weight class should I compete in next year though?[/quote]

you should get as strong as you possibly can, and compete in whatever weight class you end up in. Don’t limit strength gains because you’re trying to stay in a particular weight class. That’s a good way to be weak forever.


#18

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

How do I put more aggression behind the pull and is there any video tutorials or helpful guides to help me “load the hamstrings” and “take advantage of the stretch reflex”? I’ve ordered a belt online but it’ll only arrive 2-3 months from now. I’ve tried sumo and it doesn’t feel like it makes much of a difference other than the fact that I tend to round my back more doing sumo. I’m currently on 5/3/1.[/quote]

Try to spend as little time as possible between gripping the bar and initiating the lift. I tried that and it put 15 kg on my max lift in one day without making the pull feel any heavier.

I don’t mean rush your set up: take you time to position your feet, get the right distance from the bar, set your lats and brace; but once you’ve braced, drop to grip the bar and as soon as your hands are holding it, pull.

Other than that you could try starting with slightly higher hips, but apart from that both dead and squat look pretty damn good to me.


#19

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Pull looks fairly well. You didn’t really put much aggression behind the pull. You also didn’t really load the hamstrings to well and take full advantage of the stretch reflex. Also pretty sure I didn’t see a belt in either of the videos. A belt can add a few pounds right off. As for the pull have you considered trying sumo and seeing how you feel with it?

Lastly, what program if any are you following?[/quote]

How do I put more aggression behind the pull and is there any video tutorials or helpful guides to help me “load the hamstrings” and “take advantage of the stretch reflex”? I’ve ordered a belt online but it’ll only arrive 2-3 months from now. I’ve tried sumo and it doesn’t feel like it makes much of a difference other than the fact that I tend to round my back more doing sumo. I’m currently on 5/3/1.[/quote]

5/3/1 is bad for powerlifting. Too little frequency and too little time spend in the 80+% range of your max.

your starting possition on deads could be better. You are dropping your hips into it which you shouldnt to. Just squeeze your chest up, thats basicly all you should do and do not drop your hips.

I think a lot of lifters who come of SS/Sl5x5 have the same lift ratio’s as you. Simply for the fact that you have a lot more frequency on squats than you do on deads. Work on your hammies and lower back and get them stronger


#20

[quote]fat_powerlifter wrote:

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Pull looks fairly well. You didn’t really put much aggression behind the pull. You also didn’t really load the hamstrings to well and take full advantage of the stretch reflex. Also pretty sure I didn’t see a belt in either of the videos. A belt can add a few pounds right off. As for the pull have you considered trying sumo and seeing how you feel with it?

Lastly, what program if any are you following?[/quote]

How do I put more aggression behind the pull and is there any video tutorials or helpful guides to help me “load the hamstrings” and “take advantage of the stretch reflex”? I’ve ordered a belt online but it’ll only arrive 2-3 months from now. I’ve tried sumo and it doesn’t feel like it makes much of a difference other than the fact that I tend to round my back more doing sumo. I’m currently on 5/3/1.[/quote]

5/3/1 is bad for powerlifting. Too little frequency and too little time spend in the 80+% range of your max.

your starting possition on deads could be better. You are dropping your hips into it which you shouldnt to. Just squeeze your chest up, thats basicly all you should do and do not drop your hips.

I think a lot of lifters who come of SS/Sl5x5 have the same lift ratio’s as you. Simply for the fact that you have a lot more frequency on squats than you do on deads. Work on your hammies and lower back and get them stronger
[/quote]

You’re a fucking idiot. According to another thread, your max raw bench is 210. What in the actual fuck makes you think you know what works? Because whatever you’re doing clearly isn’t working for you. Maybe you should consider closing your mouth and opening your ears for a few years. This is absurd. I’ve achieved a 450 squat, 550 deadlift, and 340 bench press running nothing but 5/3/1, or slight variations on it. Thepwnisher is nearly at a 700lb deadlift, and he swears by 5/3/1. Many, many people have gotten very strong running 5/3/1.