T Nation

Deadlift Weak at the Lockout

I missed a pull attempt at the final few inches, the bar was well past my knees but I just couldn’t lock it out. This always happens when I try for a new deadlift PR.

I need to know what muscles are failing here and how do I train to strengthen them.

(I was pulling sumo style, if it makes a difference.)

Try doing rack pulls. Just set the bar jusr below where you fail and put some of those in on your back day. It helps.

rack pulls.

Shrug your way to heaven.

most people have problems off the floor when sumoing. How long have you been lifting and what is your max?

Glutes.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
most people have problems off the floor when sumoing. How long have you been lifting and what is your max?[/quote]

I have been deadlifting for about 12 months, but I was training stupidly for about half of that(deadlifting too often and not making progress.) My max is 435, my bodyweight is 165 if it matters.

Usually I have no problem off the floor. When I fail a PR attempt it is in the last few inches. I will research rack pulls and give them a try.

well conventinal is upper back and glutes and traps dont know if its the same but matt kroc had that problem and started doing db rows up to like 40 reps or something and it worked for him

[quote]Tomachicken wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
most people have problems off the floor when sumoing. How long have you been lifting and what is your max?

I have been deadlifting for about 12 months, but I was training stupidly for about half of that(deadlifting too often and not making progress.) My max is 435, my bodyweight is 165 if it matters.

Usually I have no problem off the floor. When I fail a PR attempt it is in the last few inches. I will research rack pulls and give them a try.[/quote]

it could be speed off the floor. If you get some momentum going, it can help with getting it all the way to lock out.

To that end you could try some speed pulls (low reps, high sets, with around 50% of your 1rm.). So something like 10x2 @50%.

Rack pulls would probably be the first thing to try, though.

Sumo rack pulls might work, read Eric Cressey’s article Deadlift Diagnosis.

Also, how much can you goodmorning and how much can you Romanian deadlift? Have to strengthen the glutes.

If you figure out the solution or come across any great materials please post! I missed 440 by about an inch today.

Rack Pulls, Sled Work, and get some twenty pound ankle weights and a 50lb vest, throw all of them on and go for a walk about a quarter mile as fast as you can. All of that shit will make your deadlift climb.

Rack pulls above the knees, Dumbbell rows and shrugs.

Glutes are week, probably NOT traps.
work on driving your hips through more.
I trained with a guy that holds the Australian record in his weight division. Once you got it off the floor he would just yell at you “LEGS LEGS LEGS” If you just hold the bar and keep your back straight all you have to concentrate on is driving with the legs and pushing the hips through to full extension.

You shouldn’t have a problem with locking out your upper back with sumo. Everything needs to lock at once. I would look at your sumo form.

work those hips

my sumo suffers at the top, as most people’s do because of weak upper back muscles,…it is easier to compensate for them on a conventional lockout if you can get enought behind your hips…but on sumo its alot different, because your body is pretty extended…if you video your lift, you may see it fly off the ground but with your back rounding abit, and with heavy weight, you can’t do a rolling shrug