Deadlift Vs. Squat

[quote]Joe Brook wrote:
I love apples, i have 3 a day.

I hate squats, and i like deadlifts so my vote is apples and squats!

Joe[/quote]

HAHAHA!!! apples are pretty good!

Gerdy

[quote]bmitch wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
bmitch wrote:
but a leg press isn’t far off from a squat

you sir would be wrong :wink:

How so?[/quote]

The hip ROM is different on the leg press than the squat. The glutes and hammies don’t get hit as hard on the leg press as they do on the squat. It has been stated that the leg press may be better for developing the quads than the squat, but the squat is better for overall leg development. The leg press has also been known for being the best exercise for targeting the vastus lateralus depending on feet width, etc. The leg press isn’t far off from the squat but not comparable. I’m sure if you took two people with equal genetcs, blah blah, etc and had one squat and the other leg press that the overall leg development of the one that squatted would be better, whereas the one with the leg press would probably have equal or greater quad size/strength. Main difference is the hip ROM due to having the back/glutes stabilzed by the seat… My .02

here is a few links I just googled

www.med.und.nodak.edu/depts/pt/research/Plyo3/LegPressvsSquat.htm

"Good Press Because hip ROM is less for the leg press than it is for the squat, hamstring and glute contribution is greatly reduced. Also limited are hip adductor (inner thigh) recruitment and stabilizer muscle involvement, the latter due to the upper-body support provided by the leg press seat. But don’t dismiss the leg press as inferior and discard it from your routine - its one redeeming factor is superior quad development.

With the reduced hamstring, glute, adductor and stabilizer involvement you get when you perform the press, a greater percentage of the load is lifted by the quads. The leg press specializes in more direct targeting of the quad muscles and allows you to really hit 'em hard by over-loading them with a tremendous amount of weight. As great as the squat is, it just can’t blast specifically the quads quite like the leg press can."

I know some of what muscle and fitness says is bogus but they said this at… Page 1 | Workouts & Muscle-Building Exercises | Muscle & Fitness

Hope this helps.

Gerdy

Damn this is hard, I love apples, and oranges… but don’t apples have an unfair advantage because theres so many different kinds? I think theres only like 3 or 4 different oranges. I would say both.

Same with the lifts, both are replaceable, but you end up doing alot more different lifts to replace them. I think hitting all the muscles of a deadlift might be harder. However I find deadlift form to be alot more difficult then squats. Point is do them both, I do and so does Ronnie Coleman and we are both huge.

I prefer heavy deadlifts because overall, it’s less technically demanding than a perfectly executed heavy squat, so it allows for more focus on pure strength.

Both are great muscle builders, I guess both lead to similar mass increase, but deadlift spreads it a bit more everywhere (front and back legs, lower and upper back).

One last point, deadlift is more “functional” in real life, since you often have to grab stuff from the ground. But unless you’re a fireman, you won’t have a lot of opportunities to squat anything out of the gym.

Deadlift hands down. Work on Deadlifts for years and try squatting. You will probably be decent at it. Reverse the order and you will be amazed how much trunk strength deadlifting builds.

It depends on your body type. I’m built to deadlift, but it’s a major pain for me to squat correctly, so I tend to focus more on pulling.

On the other hand, squats are easier to recover from, which is probably why Ripptoe has you do them so often. I pulled heavy Wednesday, and I’m still sore late Sunday night.

I think we have come to only one possible way to solve this.

THUNDERDOME!!!

TWO MAN, err lift I guess, ENTER
ONE MAN, DAMMIT I MEAN LIFT AGAIN, LEAVE!!!

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
Deadlift hands down. Work on Deadlifts for years and try squatting. You will probably be decent at it. Reverse the order and you will be amazed how much trunk strength deadlifting builds.[/quote]

To build off of this point, I agree that deadlifts will bring up your squat numbers, but vice versa as well because you are using muscles that are functioning in both movements. For squatting, the limiting factor of the exercise for me is the leg strength, and for deadlifts, it is the back. That’s how I believe it should be. So in relation to one another, both are important. Do both.

Independently, however, I would chose the deadlift because of its conventionality, functionality and better spread of muscle usage.

[quote]bealedozer wrote:
Me and my father have argued about this since we started lifting it seems. Which is the better exercise? They are both obviously great and the Kings of all exercise,s but which is #1??? I know they are both very versatile and have many forms, but one has to be better for some reason right?

I do them both of course, and I’m a hell of a lot better at dead lifting then I am at squatting. [/quote]

u must be tall, over 6’???

[quote]bmitch wrote:
I think deadlifts… try to find an exercise that replaces it and you won’t… but a leg press isn’t far off from a squat[/quote]

NO FUGGIN WAY PARTNER, NOT EVEN CLOSE DONT EVEN THINK IT ,EVER

Fatty is a squatter.

The squat is a very universal exercise to me. I can do tabatas, I can do heavy singles, I can do jump squats, I can do breathing squats… you name it.

Besides, I’m a very shitty deadlifter when it comes to technique. What’s more, I’m too limited in my grip strength due to injuries that won’t heal. So, for functional reasons I prefer to perform good-mornings.

Keep in mind, though, that this statement and verdict is my opinion, only.

I know enough big and well developed guys who excel both in the squat and the deadlift. And I would be doing the deadlift, too, if I could.

Man, these people saying squats are easier to recover from must not be squatting to rock-bottom. I get fantastically sore every time I do barbell squats. The longest I’ve ever had DOMS, 4 days after the workout, was after squatting.

id say deadlifts if it was one or the other…

I think the “bad ass” feeling is higher when I do dead lifts lol

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
2274 wrote:
You don’t need a power rack to deadlift.

Probably the best argument for deadlifts. Other than that, it depends on the individual’s body structure.[/quote]

But you need a deadlifting platform for heavy deadlifts.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
Man, these people saying squats are easier to recover from must not be squatting to rock-bottom. I get fantastically sore every time I do barbell squats. The longest I’ve ever had DOMS, 4 days after the workout, was after squatting.[/quote]

Likewise. I find squats lead to longer DOMS, but for me it goes away a few weeks after I integrate a new type of squat into my workout.

[quote]matarael wrote:
rmccart1 wrote:
Man, these people saying squats are easier to recover from must not be squatting to rock-bottom. I get fantastically sore every time I do barbell squats. The longest I’ve ever had DOMS, 4 days after the workout, was after squatting.

Likewise. I find squats lead to longer DOMS, but for me it goes away a few weeks after I integrate a new type of squat into my workout.[/quote]

IMO the reason some people get more DOMS with squats is because when they are deadlifting a weight heavy enough to create soreness they do not keep their hips down while pulling. Additionally, there is not a demand for a controlled eccentric with deadlifts. If you wanted to you could just hold on to the bar and let it hit the ground, maintaining your form but with no muscle tension. Try the same with squats and you wont be getting back up.

beale,

The “better” one for you is the one you are worse at.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
ZYL281 wrote:
what is better apples or oranges?

Apples are better because they have less sugar and aren’t as messy to eat.

Squats are better because they can be performed more frequently and the range of motion for the legs is greater. When my Squat goes up 20lbs I get stronger in everything but if my Deadlift goes up, the overall strength and size gains aren’t as significant. The Squat has also been proven to be, along with the Power Clean, the best exercise for increasing one’s clean and jerk.

[/quote]

Why can DLs be done more frequently? Arnold’s program has DLing to failure 4x per week.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:

IMO the reason some people get more DOMS with squats is because when they are deadlifting a weight heavy enough to create soreness they do not keep their hips down while pulling. Additionally, there is not a demand for a controlled eccentric with deadlifts.

[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree. You can perform a deadlift using pretty much the “up” motion, and let the bar come down at a phenomenal rate. When you’re essentially controlling the bar while it’s falling there is very little muscle tension. If you are lowering the bar slowly, then the muscles are under greater tension for longer.

I should have put a disclaimer into my post, that I deadlift without straps, and I’m limited by my grip strenght for now. So my arms fail well before my posterior chain. Thats why ‘I’ don’t get DOMS while deadlifting.