Deadlift vs BB Hack Weight

I hurt my back about 1/2 year ago, its just starting to feel ok, however it still feels vulnerable when I deadlift heavy, (I went from 495x to my present of 445x1). I can now hack squat 445x3, which is up from before I hurt my back, this is what I dont really understand, since they’re pretty similar lifts. I want to get back up near 500 and pass it…Should I focus on lower back lifts and minimize deads or do deads frequently or both?

Some other thoughts…

I used to pretty much stiff dead the weight up before and tended to round my back on heavy weights, now I feel like I can’t really “strain” if I use my old method of stiff legging it up, and if I sit lower and use my quads more I feel like my knees are in the way.

I’ve tried sumo but I hate the way it feels using a mixed grip, which I use for weights over 400.

[quote]Jerome wrote:
I hurt my back about 1/2 year ago, its just starting to feel ok, however it still feels vulnerable when I deadlift heavy, (I went from 495x to my present of 445x1). I can now hack squat 445x3, which is up from before I hurt my back, this is what I dont really understand, since they’re pretty similar lifts. I want to get back up near 500 and pass it…Should I focus on lower back lifts and minimize deads or do deads frequently or both?

Some other thoughts…

I used to pretty much stiff dead the weight up before and tended to round my back on heavy weights, now I feel like I can’t really “strain” if I use my old method of stiff legging it up, and if I sit lower and use my quads more I feel like my knees are in the way.

I’ve tried sumo but I hate the way it feels using a mixed grip, which I use for weights over 400. [/quote]

Try the hook grip. It’ll hurt.