Deadlift Video 500lbs

I deadlifted 500 lbs. Friday and thought I would record it. Criticism and advice is welcome.

It went up pretty easy, I probably could have done more.

Very impressive. Nice job!

I really hope you know the person who claps afterward, because it looks like they’re mocking you. Hopefully, that’s not the case.

Nice work, man.

[quote]smallnomore wrote:
I really hope you know the person who claps afterward, because it looks like they’re mocking you. Hopefully, that’s not the case.[/quote]

LOL, its the girlfriend of the guy recording it, it’s all good.

hey,
Good lift! Solid body!
and if I may,
you are right, it was NOT your RM. you still had a bit “in the bank”. but at least you have something to go for in a week or so.
Re: technique - if you were training with me and you pulled classic, I’d try to narrow your stand SLIGHTLY, to allow for a minimal narrower grip on the bar - just that you can grab it on your shoulders width.
just a suggestion… apart from that TOP DOG!

Good luck

Nice job. My only recommendation would be to start with the bar pretty much right up against your shins and pull up and back, pushing through your heels.

Nice lift. You take a bit of time in your setup but that is just personal preference. The one thing I would have to say is don’t turn your head when you are lowering the weight you will pull a muscle in your upper back or neck I have seen it happen. Looks as if you had another 20-30 lb left.

[quote]FairDo wrote:

Re: technique - if you were training with me and you pulled classic, I’d try to narrow your stand SLIGHTLY, to allow for a minimal narrower grip on the bar - just that you can grab it on your shoulders width.
just a suggestion… apart from that TOP DOG!

Good luck
[/quote]

I noticed the same thing when I watched the video. Even where my stance is now, I still have alot of room to move my grip in.

[quote]apayne wrote:
Nice job. My only recommendation would be to start with the bar pretty much right up against your shins and pull up and back, pushing through your heels.[/quote]

Trust me, that bar is scraping my shins all the way up, it must just be the angle or something.

[quote]mattrose wrote:
Nice lift. You take a bit of time in your setup but that is just personal preference. The one thing I would have to say is don’t turn your head when you are lowering the weight you will pull a muscle in your upper back or neck I have seen it happen. Looks as if you had another 20-30 lb left. [/quote]

Thanks, I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I didn’t even realize I was doing that.

1.) Narrow your stance and slightly point your feet out. Your feet should be underneath you.

2.) Put your grip closer. In a standing position your grip should be straight down from your shoulders. Your feet/legs should be between your hands. The narrower feet and hand positioning will allow you to start from a more mechanically advantaged position.

3.) Use chalk and don’t wipe your hands on your shirt before you start.

other than that, great job.

nice job bro I wish we could see more videos like this on the forum. I’m curious, what kind of camera was used?

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
3.) Use chalk and don’t wipe your hands on your shirt before you start.

other than that, great job.
[/quote]

I was just adjusting it, and I was using quite a bit of chalk. Thanks for the other tips. It looks like the biggest thing I could improve on is my grip width/stance.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Nice job bro I wish we could see more videos like this on the forum. I’m curious, what kind of camera was used? [/quote]

I’m not sure. I had a friend use his digital camera for me, since I don’t have one.

other than the stance thing, think of your ankle more over your knees, the thing i would help you with is before you pull next time pull the slack out of the bar first. to understand what i mean, watch the video again and right when you begin to pull watch the bar go up about an inch and then pause before it goes up with the momntum. this “slack” is killing your momentum but if while you are setting up, you pull the bartight and past the slack, the bar will explode off the ground with the momentum you first build.

understand?

it always works for me anyways

[quote]FULLSTERKUR wrote:
other than the stance thing, think of your ankle more over your knees, the thing i would help you with is before you pull next time pull the slack out of the bar first. to understand what i mean, watch the video again and right when you begin to pull watch the bar go up about an inch and then pause before it goes up with the momntum. this “slack” is killing your momentum but if while you are setting up, you pull the bartight and past the slack, the bar will explode off the ground with the momentum you first build.

understand?

it always works for me anyways[/quote]

Thanks, that does make sense, I’ll have to give it a try.