Deadlift training

My shoulder stops me from doing squats. I am 51 and lift
twice a week. My back is good and i like deadlifting. I able
to deadlift twice a week. I was doing trapbar one day and sl
standing off a block the other. I also do hip belt squats both days.
recently i did both deadlift versions on the same day. As long as
i can can keep adding reps or weights is this a mistake. I am 5 11
and 210 and need to lose 20 pounds. I try to run 3 days a week.
I have a desk job so this does not seem like to much. My deadlift
is around 325 now. When i was young i did 450 at 180. I like to
lose weight and get my deadlift back over 400. This is my first post.
Any advice

Need more info…

1. do train at home or at gym

2. How bad is your shoulder? The reason I ask this because there are options you can look into to allow you to squat.

3.Besides dead…what else are you doing . What does your routine look like.

1. what rep and set scheme are you using?
  1. I train at home. I have a rack and plenty of weights.
  2. My shoulder is getting better so I think I will be hold the bar on my back soon to be able to squats.
  3. I do dumbell benches,inclines and rows,pulldowns and some arm and grip work.
  4. I am doing sets of 8 on sld I did 210 x 8 last standing on a block. I am doing trapbar
    x 10 I did 265 x 10 last workout. Every few weeks I will do a heavy set of deadlifts x 5

You should look into getting a safety squat bar for your home gym…basically takes most shoulder stress out of the equation.

In regards to how your training, it doesn’t sound like you have a tried and true method you know works for you. My advice would be to start off with a training philosophy that works like 5/3/1 and get some solid training in.

you can get the e-book at jimwendler.com

[quote]HARA wrote:
You should look into getting a safety squat bar for your home gym…basically takes most shoulder stress out of the equation.

In regards to how your training, it doesn’t sound like you have a tried and true method you know works for you. My advice would be to start off with a training philosophy that works like 5/3/1 and get some solid training in.

you can get the e-book at jimwendler.com[/quote]
Pretty much what he says…