T Nation

Deadlift To Squat Ratio

I deadlift 90lbs more than I squat. What type of exercises can I do to help balance this out and improve my total? I have been concentrating on my deadlift since last september, which is when I started westside full time. I have more or less been doing the workouts in Simmons deadlift artical on elitefts.com for my max effort days. I know westside is all about finding your weakness, my biggest weakness is hip strength , because on heavy free squat my knees come in and sometimes my ass comes up first , causing me to tip forward. How can I fix these? I just started band knee out extentions (per 8 keys and westside tapes)to try to improve in this area. Would band goodmornings help me out any? Any help would be much appricated.
Thanks in advance
Will42

Don’t know about ratios but mine is pretty similar. I dead 65lb more than I squat.
If your leaning forward coming out of the hole I would work your GM’s more and get your lower back and posterior chain stronger. Also hit your abs and obliques hard too. You need a stronger core.
I don’t even bother to train DL’s because they go up with my squats and with in 4 weeks of not training them I am pretty much back to where I left off with them. But I keep trainig my grip cause this is my main DL weakness.

My squat to dead ratio is similar to yours. I am built to DL, actually I only pull off the floor for speed deads, and my max goes up with my squat.Creed mentioned GM’s. You really can’t go wrong with them. If you think about it, your falling forward when you squat so GM’s will be the best exercise to correct this. Also when you squat drive your head into the bar and try to keep the weight on your heals the whole movement.

[quote]Will42 wrote:
I deadlift 90lbs more than I squat. What type of exercises can I do to help balance this out and improve my total? I have been concentrating on my deadlift since last september, which is when I started westside full time. I have more or less been doing the workouts in Simmons deadlift artical on elitefts.com for my max effort days. I know westside is all about finding your weakness, my biggest weakness is hip strength , because on heavy free squat my knees come in and sometimes my ass comes up first , causing me to tip forward. How can I fix these? I just started band knee out extentions (per 8 keys and westside tapes)to try to improve in this area. Would band goodmornings help me out any? Any help would be much appricated.
Thanks in advance
Will42 [/quote]

Goodmornings, glute-hams, stretch calves, reverse hypers (if you can find a place to do em)–I may be overanalyzing, but it seems like you may have a problem recruiting your glutes–so really focus on “spreading the floor” when you squat and work on recruiting it during the above mentioned exercises. Throw those exercises into your routing and let me know how things go.

Thanks for the solid advice everyone. My gm’s do suck, a cambered bar best of 270, at 230lb bodyweight, but After this next meet (saturday) I will hit them hard. Along with abs and grip. Thanks
Will42