Deadlift TNG vs Reset After Each Rep

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read not to touch and go on the deadlifts. I tried this today and hated it. Hated hated hated it. Felt very unsupported on my last set. Only got 5. How would you adjust from here?

Did 285 for 5 on final set. 85% of 1RM.

Sounds like the easy solution is to do dead stop reps. They’re both effective, but do what you prefer.

Just to make sure I’m understanding terms correctly, do you mean deadlifts like this?

1 Like

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I have always trained deadlifts as touch and go. Like the video you posted. Keeping constant tension in my core. Taking advantage of the stress ch reflex.

Today, I tried coming to a dead stop between reps and rebracing myself before lifting again.

Am I misunderstanding? It felt very insecure. Like I was going to round my back and pull something.

Thanks for the feedback while I try to dial this in.

The video I posted is of Jim Wendler, the author of 5/3/1. In posting it, I was hoping to establish that pulling touch and go on 5/3/1 is fine and that, whoever told you not to pull touch and go was most likely not Jim Wendler, and therefore their opinion on 5/3/1 does not hold as much merit.

Pull touch and go if you like pulling touch and go. I pull touch and go. It works for me.

1 Like

I do both. I prefer TNG as my form remains more stable over the duration of the set but really there’s no problem either way. Most people who criticise the TNG protocol cite the fact it’s called the Dead-Lift for a reason. But as long as you don’t drop the weight like a hot potato and use the rebound to get the bar back up, I say go for it.

Thanks. I’m glad to hear that. The change was really throwing me off. Making me uncomfortable at a reasonable weight. I was starting to get discouraged

If you’re looking to successfully complete arbitrary train-wreck thread forum challenges, TNG apparently doesn’t count though, among numerous other things.

2 Likes

Thank you for that! My first thought when I saw this thread title: “Haven’t we already had this discussion???”

OP, controlled touch n go is fine. More time under tension compared to the dead stop nazis. Both are fine.

1 Like

Personally I always reset on my deadlifts. I don’t let go of the bar, I just straighten my legs and set the position again.

Form is the key, as long as your form is at a high standard on each rep I don’t see a problem with either.

I typically fail off the floor, this is why I don’t do touch and goes, force myself to do a slightly fresh pull each rep.

TNG Deadlifts are the only thing that ever injured me in my 10 years of lifting.

It’s easy to lose abdominal bracing and fuck up your back if you get carried away. I always reset now. It results in less reps per set sometimes, but I’d rarher stay injury free.

Funny enough, TnG deadlifts were the only way I COULD deadlift after a really bad back injury. Keeping my core braced for the whole set provided me a much more stable back compared to hitting the rep, releasing my brace, re-bracing, and starting the rep over again.

Different strokes. Maybe I stuck at TNG.

am i the only nerd that read Deadlift The Next Generation?

1 Like

I didn’t but now I can’t not see it lol

1 Like

I use to do TNG all the time. At some point I stopped. It comes down to why you are pulling weight in the first place.
For size, the continuous tension and rep counts of TNG work.
For competition, the explosiveness developed from deadlifting from a complete stop is pretty important. Being able to maintain THAT specific form, tightness, etc…and generate speed off of the floor trains the body for maximum effort lifts.

I was influenced by Dave Tate’s T-Nation article on deadlifting to reset completely after each rep. For warm-up sets I am closer to TNG. But once the weight gets heavy (for me), I treat every set as a set of singles with a total reset after each rep.

Depends on the deadlift.

For a standard conventional deadlift, I like to reset every rep. I had a back injury that was pretty damn debilitating, and I completely chock conventional deadlifts with reset as the reason it’s so much better. If it’s not broke and all that.

Paused deadlifts on the other hand, I like TNG. I get more reps out, mainly due to my grip. While it’s not weak, if I reset on every rep my hands feel like they’re on the verge of locking up and it messes up my grip throughout the set.

I think it’s like squats though. There isn’t one method that’s right. Pick a way thats the most comfortable to you, with in reason, that doesn’t cause injury, and nets you strength.