T Nation

Deadlift Tips for a Beginner?

Hey guys, I am new to powerlifting, and trying to focus on the deadlift, Do you have any tips for a begineer? Right now I deadlift 180kg and been able to increase it by 10kg each week. So, do you have any general tips on recovery, warm-ups, form or programming for a begineer?

Thanks!

I shot this back in 2012ish, my technique hasn’t really changed. You might find it helpful.

Thanks for the video man! found it very useful.

thanks I also found that really useful. I use a wide stance so I have learned a lot from this . I struggle to get the weight moving off the floor. I have noticed when I go narrower it’s easier. It feels very awkward though.

[quote]TheChosenOne98 wrote:
Hey guys, I am new to powerlifting, and trying to focus on the deadlift, Do you have any tips for a begineer? Right now I deadlift 180kg and been able to increase it by 10kg each week. So, do you have any general tips on recovery, warm-ups, form or programming for a begineer?

Thanks! [/quote]

That’s a nice pull for a beginner. What do you weigh?

Definitely use a narrower stance like in the video - a bit less than shoulder width. The best guide to how wide to go I’ve found is to set up as if you’re going to jump as high/far as possible. You’ll automatically set up in the best position for your body. That’s your stance width and foot angle (got that from a Charles Poliquin article). Generally, feet pointing slightly outwards is good, and push your knees out too.

There’s a ton of information about how to pull, and its a pretty individual thing beyond the basics so hard to give advice without a video.

For what its worth, the most important bits I’ve learned so far IMO:

• bar over mid foot at the start
  • drag the bar up your legs (so wear thick, long socks)
  • pull explosively off the floor without losing position and tightness
  • don’t spend too long between gripping and pulling, that just makes it harder
  • be patient when it feels slow, just keep tight and keep pulling

For programming, if you can add 10 kg per week keep going that way until you stall. Then drop it down to maybe 5 kg per week or even per fortnight.

My own experience with programming for DL is that once I was regularly pulling over 200 kg (I’m around 95 kg now, I was around 85-86 kg then) in training, I needed to back off pulling heavy to once a fortnight in the 85-95% range for maybe five singles (so I’d hit a new max maybe once a month if that). All other pulling was sumo or snatch grip of which I do a fair amount without a belt because its lighter. That’s the template I’m still following, but I progressively drop the volume of heavy conventional pulls as I get stronger (currently I’m not looking at a new max more than once every two months). Other people seem to do very well with block pulls and stuff.

Keep your heavier pulls in the 1-3 range.

Also do a lot of rowing and try front squats.

Hey man thank you for your advice, I definetely learned a lot, and right now my weight is around 97kg + and I am 6’ 2’’ ish, looking to get over 100kg in a few months. Speaking of Barbell rows, I heard that they are a really good accessory exercise! did 100kg(220 lbs) for 12 reps today.

Hey man thank you for your advice, I definetely learned a lot, and right now my weight is around 97kg + and I am 6’ 2’’ ish, looking to get over 100kg in a few months. Speaking of Barbell rows, I heard that they are a really good accessory exercise! did 100kg(220 lbs) for 12 reps today.[/quote]

I’ve never been a fan of barbell rows. I get a lot more out of dumbbells, cables, meadows row, t-bar, etc. I think body mechanics play a part.

Do you prefer doing high reps like 12+ or more like 4-6 reps on accessories?

Do you prefer doing high reps like 12+ or more like 4-6 reps on accessories?[/quote]

I use a ton of rep ranges. I honestly don’t feel like the rep number is all that important, more just total volume of work and intensity applied.

For example, I hit a set of 3 reps on dumbbell rows in between all my pressing work on my bench day to build up some volume, and then, at the very end of that day, I’ll use the same dumbbell and go for a rep record in a single set (usually around 25-30 reps).

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

Hey man thank you for your advice, I definetely learned a lot, and right now my weight is around 97kg + and I am 6’ 2’’ ish, looking to get over 100kg in a few months. Speaking of Barbell rows, I heard that they are a really good accessory exercise! did 100kg(220 lbs) for 12 reps today.[/quote]

I’ve never been a fan of barbell rows. I get a lot more out of dumbbells, cables, meadows row, t-bar, etc. I think body mechanics play a part.[/quote]

I like both dumbbells and barbells for rows. Dumbbells help my grip a bunch more, but barbell rows feel like they help me hold the bottom position of a DL a lot.

Voila…
. https://www.T-Nation.com/training/heavy-deadlifting-101-tips-from-an-810-pound-deadlifter

I find a 5 min warm down on the rower going super light, then stretching the hell out of hamstrings and lower back really helps recovery/soreness the next day