T Nation

Deadlift Technique

http://vbox7.com/play:efd52608

This is 140kg. From what I can see my mistakes are:
1. I should be getting the barbell of the ground and after the set leave it there, but this was just this time. I don't even know why I did what I did.

1. I do it too fast -> the barbell bounces off the ground giving me head start.

2. Back is not quite straight.

Those looked like some crooked leg Romanian deadlifts. If you want it to be a DEAD lift, the weight must come to a stop on the ground between each rep, so that you lift it from a DEAD stop. You’re gonna fuck your back up big time if you try to descend with the weight slowly enough to keep it under control for the next rep.

Set up with the weight on the ground, not on the rack, grab the bar and lift it. Keep your back straight, chest out, head up, and the bar up against your shins. At the top of the lift, squeeze the glutes together and then drop the weight back down. Don’t actually let go, just descend quickly and let the weight stop, readjust your grip if you have to, and do it again. Fuck that was the worst attempt at a deadlift I’ve ever seen.

Things you do right

1. 140kg is not bad
  2. Back was mostly straight. Not totally, but you know what you messed up on, and you’ll probably fix it without other people ragging on you for it.
  3. You’re facing forward during the lift. Solid. Should help back alignment.
  4. Using a mixed grip without straps. Good.

Things you could do more right

1. Don’t wear long pants when you deadlift. The crease at the waist makes the pants ride up which decreases the slack in the sleeve around your knee which prevents it from moving forward. Your leg doesn’t move forward MUCH in the deadlift, but in getting proper mechanical position, it’s gotta move SOME. Your pants are preventing them from doing that. Buy some athletic shwag.
  2. Hump the bar when you’re at the top. Rotating your pelvis forward does some magic that I’ve never been able to remember for more than five minutes at a time, but I think it has something to do with removing tension from your lower back/getting full ROM/looking as awesome as a T-Rex with a rocket launcher reading Faulkner.
  3. Ditch the belt. When beginners use belts, it means they’ve got both a hernia and brain damage, or a vagina. You’ve (most likely) got neither. Ditch it. Your abs are strong enough to support a 140kg dl, and if they’re not, they should be.

FWIW, I don’t think the bar has to come to a complete stop at the end of every rep, you won’t destroy your back by descending slowly and under control in the DL, setting it up in a rack is a good idea because you get to gauge how heavy the weight feels on the eccentric, not the concentric portion of the exercise, so you’re stronger and at less risk of injury/stupidity, and you’re not that shitty a dl-er for the beginner section. I was around when deisel_weasel was posting. That man took fourteen pages of solid flaming to realize he MIGHT have a problem with DL form. And HE was doing it with +400#, IIRC.

Thanks, Otep. Thing is, I think I don’t feel a pro, and I definitely don’t feel like a beginner. And the T-Nation forums are… well, there is no mid section, between pros and newbies. Overall I lift 2 years now, but the first deadlift I ever made was this January.
Overall I think the only mistake that I made and that meters is the speed and the disproportionate bounce of the ground.

It’s not a deadlift if you’re bouncing it off the ground, even if it’s just a little bit. Lift it, descend as quickly as you can UNDER CONTROL (which may not be quick at all), make sure you get back into proper position and lift it again. THAT is a deadlift. Using a slight bounce may not be bad for your back if everything else is done with proper form, but you’re cheating your overall development for this exercise if you do.

IIRC, Mark Rippetoe, God of all things Starting Strength, agrees with Artw about stopping between each rep. I don’t remember the reasoning, but I believe it went beyond nomenclature. In all honesty, I don’t think it makes that much difference.

However, [quote]Overall, I think the only mistake that I made and that meters is the speed and the disproportionate bounce of the ground. [/quote]Should also include a mention of the curve in your lower back, if nothing else.

Another recommendation is to keep your neck neutral. The natural tendancy to look forward throughout the lift makes your neck hyperextend at the bottom, which is bad as it introduces shearing forces on the base of your neck.

Pretend that you have a rod running through your back from your lower back right to the top of your head. This mean you will be looking slightly down when the weight hits the floor. Good luck.

yeah, I’ve never really heard that you HAD to set the bar down after each rep. I’ve always been told to touch and go, up and down like a piston. It definitely puts more stress on the back, but it won’t fuck it up.