Deadlift Technique Update

Don’t worry about who does what, worry about what you are going to do. Most people pull mixed grip regardless of stance.

I can guarantee it will feel terrible, it takes a while (like weeks or months) for your thumbs to get used to it.

If you are going to use hook grip then obviously you will use it in a meet. My grip is more secure with hook grip so I know I’m not going to fail due to grip. The only thing I have an issue with using hook grip for is high reps and lots of volume because then my thumbs will start to hurt and get swollen.

I have never heard of it. Steve Goggins pulled 900+ hook grip and he still recommends it. Every single weightlifter uses hook grip, people have clean & jerked and snatched over 500.

If you don’t want to use hook grip then nobody is forcing you, it was merely a suggestion. Just pick a grip and use it. The longer it takes to decide, the longer it will take to get good at it. Sore thumbs aren’t fun, but neither are torn biceps and dropped deadlifts.

EDIT: correction

While it doesn’t derail the spirit of the basic comment, no one has ever clean and jerked or snatched over 600 pounds, lol.

Your comment holds up just fine if you swap in « 500 pounds » though. I just thought it was good for a chuckle.

You’re right, I thought Antonio Krastev had snatched 600 but it’s just under 500.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but in my case, what are people’s thoughts on beltless training? If I’m having trouble maintaining a neutral spine will a belt be similar to a bandaid, or would it have some positives that im not thinking of besides lifting heavier weight?

I don’t see why you wouldn’t use a belt. There’s no “you didn’t use a belt” award and you’re not going to take your belt off and suddenly drop half your poundage. Beltless is a good variation.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t it be better to learn how to brace properly before using a belt? i guess the best thing is to just invest in a belt and try it out, because I will need it eventually. Any recommendations for a good deadlifting belt? Should I go for a 3" or 4" belt?

I felt my bracing got better with once I got a belt and knew what I was trying to achieve but YMMV

1 Like

I do warmups without the belt up to roughy 80% of my top weight for the day. As my work sets rise so do my beltless sets. I do all RDL’s and SDL’s without a belt. I use it in the bench because my deep arch cramps my back up without it.

I would never go past 80% on squats/deadlifts/block pulls/rack work/overhead work because I believe the risk is just not worth it.

What do you mean the risk is not worth it? Tons of people train belt less exclusively.

I BELIEVE means it is an opinion. No need to justify something that I feel works for me. I don’t care what someone else does. If they want to max on a deadlift without a belt, I won’t be stopping them.

What risk though? There is literally no risk and many have shown that there isn’t. It’s just a preference thing. Why do you have to get so defensive about the dumbest shit?

I said it was a preference in my post. It should have stopped right there.

Are you sure about that? For someone who is used to training with a belt to suddenly one day work up to a max with no belt there is definitely a risk. You can’t brace the same way without a belt. There are plenty of lifters who never go beyond a certain weight or percentage beltless, and Boris Sheiko said that once 60kg I on the bar you should be wearing a belt. This is a pretty stupid thing to argue over and there is no clear right/wrong, just different ways of training and different things working for different people.

The belt allows you to push your abs out in a way that you really can’t without a belt. It also allows you to recruit certain muscle/muscle fibres that you might not use otherwise. I find that if I do my heavy sets with a belt and then some beltless assistance work afterwards I feel like I can brace better du to the previous sets with a belt.

You should definitely learn to brace properly regardless, but bracing with and without a belt is slightly different. I have done beltless training cycles before and when I threw the belt on again it seemed like I was getting absolutely nothing out of it and had to learn to brace again, despite the fact that I got better and bracing and lifting with no belt. Similarly, some people who trained beltless for a long time and eventually bought a belt have said that the belt didn’t seem to work for them, at least at first. There is a technique aspect to it, but not a huge one.

Do you have a non-deadlifting belt? For most people, one belt will work for everything. It looks like most PL belts are 4", I see no reason not to get a 13mm belt but maybe someone else will give you another opinion.

Inzer belts are good, I like the lever too. I have seen and heard of Titan levers breaking so be aware, there was a video going around a few months ago of a guy squatting 700 or something and the lever popped off mid-set, luckily he didn’t die. SBD belt will stain your shirt red and you have to wear them tight. I like the idea of the quick release on ther Wahlanders but it looks like you can’t get it very tight. Anyone else have opinions on other belts?

Crossfit has infected powerlifting with the ATG is the way to squat, Sumo is cheating, belt is not raw, bench arch is cheating bullshit. Then again, who are we to prevent chiros and PT’s from feeding their families, LOL.

1 Like

Did you hear about all the pec tears at the last Crossfit games or whatever it’s called? The explanation I heard from some well-informed people was that it was because they were doing snatches, which force you to relax your pecs to achieve the overhead rack position, right before ring dips for max reps. Other times people blew out knees from max rep box jumps and nonsense like that.

1 Like

I never bought a lever for two reasons:

1. If your waist circumferance changes, you need to disassemble the buckle and move it over. I’ve seen people fucking with the belt between attempts at a meet.

2. I don’t wear the belt too tight. I like to have some room to push the abs out against the belt . I’ll tighten it against the rack. I don’t like a handler yanking me around to get the last hole possible.

I have a tapered belt that I use for bench and overhead work where support in the front is not a priority. I have used both a 10 mm and a 13 mm and didn’t notice a difference between the two.

[/quote][quote=“chris_ottawa, post:175, topic:231391”]
Are you sure about that?
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was saying in my earlier post. I never said once you should just all the sudden start working to max without a belt if live only ever trained with a belt. I never said the OP should just start all the sudden doing every set without a belt all of the sudden. BUT after you get used to not using a belt, there is minimal to no risk for not using one for a squat, bench, dead, OHP, etc. also, to quote YOURSELF to ME:

It’s not an argument. I enjoy discussions on things like this. I don’t use a belt. I don’t like them. Or sleeves or anything. I just don’t enjoy training that way. I was curious why you thought there was a risk. That was it.