Deadlift Technique Update

And your squat is how much?

I’ve high bar 315x5 before my hip started feeling sore. I’m not sure what typical ratios are for front squat:high bar squat but needless to say my front squat is weak. I definitely could have gone heavier but I really wanted to dial in form and focus on keeping myself upright and engaging the erectors. No pitching forward in the hole or anything.

My point is that switching to front squats won’t work because the weight is way too light. If you could front squat maybe 80% of your back squat then it might not be too bad, but your legs are getting 35% of the volume they would otherwise. And I don’t see how front squats will stop your hip from hurting, better to directly address that issue. Otherwise you might as well just squat real light. If you stop training a lift every time something hurts then you won’t get very far.

I see what you’re saying but isn’t that the purpose of incorporating front squats? The fact that I can feel my back straining at such a light weight is sending smoke signals in the air. I absolutely intend to get back to back squatting as I’m never going to get far without that. I just figure that while I’m recovering I can learn a new lift which directly hits a weakness of mine and get stronger at it. I don’t think I’ll work up to a weight heavy enough to aggravate my hip before it recovers. Once the hip gets better I’ll probably move it to an assistance lift.

Just do some leg pressing after the front squats. Not perfect but should keep some conditioning uo. You may even get away with (back) squatting

I never said not to front squat, I just said not to stop back squatting. If your hip is so fucked up that you can’t squat then you probably shouldn’t do front squats either. SSB squats might be an even better option for building your back, where you would fail a front squat because of forward lean you can push through and do more reps with the SSB.

I may add back squatting back in so I’m doing it at least once a week until I recover. My hip has definitely recovered to an extent, and I largely attribute that to not squatting heavy for past week. I’ve dealt with some knee injuries in soccer which started as something you could easily push through, and developed into potentially lifelong problems had I not finally gotten treatment. I’ve learned that it’s always better safe than sorry

Do you have any idea what the actual problem is?

Not really but I’ve definitely had this playing soccer at some point. Not really sure how to describe it other than general soreness around the hip region. Sometimes I can swing my leg laterally and hear a “pop” in the hip region and that actually alleviates the pain

I should add that it’s not a constant pain, it will crop up sometime during the week. I felt it a little while warming up for sumo pulls today but it quickly went away. Managed to fully lock out 445 (strapped) today so that was good considering my back is still sore from all the erector work. I might try a double overhand with 405 next week depending on how I’m feeling and how good the knurling in the bar is.

The back exercises like good mornings and pullups are all starting to feel easier. I did an easy 4x8 with the pullups so I may try adding 10-20lbs for 4x5 and work up in weight from there every week

Hit the gym today after a series of brutal midterms. Went in carb-deficient and drowsy. I hadn’t actually done any sort of exercise for the past week so that must helped alot with regards to recovery. I ended up pulling an easy 450lbs for a new pr despite being half asleep. My back felt much more tight and I’m guessing this is the result of all the good mornings and pullups. I’ll go for 455 next week but I feel like if I can get a solid 8 hrs and some food beforehand it shouldn’t be a problem.

On the downside, due to my inactivity I’m going to hazard a guess and say my bench and squat have gone in the in tubes.

Been pretty busy lately. Haven’t been able to hit the gym consistently for the past month. On the bright side, my sumo pull keeps getting better. Vid of 460lbs below:

Went for another 5lb PR today. Managed to hit it despite feeling like crap going into the last few sets. My thoughts literally 2 seconds before this lift were “I’m not breaking the floor with this”. Not sure if its because of a lack of sleep and/or nutrients (I didn’t eat all day), but I suspect its more of the latter. Despite this, the weight actually moved fairly well. I had also managed to hit a double overhand PR of 390lbs prior to this set so my grip is still improving despite using straps for max pulls. Vid of 465lbs below: