Deadlift Tailbone Pain

Hello, I’ve been lifting weights for quite some time now but I’m still having issues with my deadlifts. I keep wanting to hyperextend my back at the bottom of the deadlift and I do it everytime unless I really concentrate on just that part of the movement. Any ideas on why I keep doing it And any suggestions to fix it? I think part of it is as a girl sticking your butt out feels normal if that makes any sence but since I keep doing that I feel pain in my tailbone sometimes.

Huh. I’m not sure. I think of most people hyperextending their back when locking it out - Leaning back really far at the top of a DL or when using a Hyper machine.

This part of your post sounds like you may have lordosis. You can look it up, and see if that’s what you’re doing.

You can correct it by working on your posture. Look up - correct lordosis, or how to fix anterior pelvic tilt. There are lots of helpful videos on youtube. Also work to strengthen your opposing muscles, abs.

Assuming your pain is caused from this, here’s a video that touches on why it’s NO BUENO when doing OHPing or locking out a DL. The whole video is good.

Watch from about minute marker 2:48 for low back. About minute marker 4:00 for DL specific arching/ extension. I’m not sure why your tailbone specifically is painful, but if you feel like you’re standing up straight with your butt out, then you need to get used to rolling your pelvis to a more neutral position when you stand and retrain your body to know what’s neutral. Your brain is wrong about what standing up straight should feel like. The excessive arching can cause compression and shearing in the lumbar spine.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck with your training!
Puff

3 Likes

The basic is to visit a traumatologist and most likely he will want to see an Xray from you or a tomography or something of the sort, to find out if you have some problem there.

1 Like

Thank you both! I haven’t even thought about having something actually
wrong but it makes sense. Even in short car rides my lower back has always
given me problems. Definitely will make a doctor’s appointment

2 Likes

You might try using a very light load and go through the motions slowly and evaluate your form and stack your spine consciously to try to form new muscle memory. Having a lighter load can remove some of the adverse muscle memory from hard lifts getting in your way.

At top of lift, pause and set your spine. Feel where your body is. Spine should be stacked without much lower back curvature. Tightness in hips can cause problems and stretching exercises or some yoga moves can help with that.

On way down stop and pause with bar at knee cap, setting your posture and form, complete the motion slowly and with deliberation. A partner or mirror may be useful.

My wife has had some tail bone problems and it can be muscular. It is hard to get a massage in there as it is taboo. But a real therapist can get near there and do some work. Not easily or quickly fixed, but you need to avoid whatever can make it worse.

2 Likes

Hey there!
You know a lot of women experience tailbone pain due to pelvic floor dysfunction (pfd), a tightening (or weakening) of the pelvic floor over time due to body mechanics, breathing habits, rib position and many other things.
I notice with my clients that have pfd, they aren’t aware of it UNTIL they add load or intensity.
Even if they are doing all the lifts PERFECTLY with the correct set-up and alignment, they can still experience pain until they learn to fully relax the PF throughout the day.
It is absolutely NOT taboo to have some myofascial release done on the pelvic floor by a pelvic floor physical therapist, in fact it’s a normal and common service.
Good luck!

I started off with Romanian deadlifts to build up hammies. How are your hip flexors?