T Nation

Deadlift Suits for a Conventional Deadlifter

I’ve pulled sumo for a very long time using an old titan centurian squat suit (NXG+). My sumo deadlift hasn’t gone anywhere in quite some time while my raw conventional deadlift is pretty close to my raw sumo pull. So, I’m considering trying to pull conventional in a deadlift suit to see how I like it. I’ve heard that folks typically don’t get as much out of a suit pulling conventional, but that’s okay. What suits do people like for pulling conventional?

i’ve used an inzer hardcore suit(single ply) and got around 50lbs out of it.

I’ve only used 2. The inzer maxdl and whatever the single ply metal deadlifter is called. The metal one had a ton of pop out of the bottom but was damn near impossible to get into a good position. That being said, the maxDL is the best one out there I think. Even though I’ve only used that and the metal, I don’t think there is anyway a suit could be made better.

[quote]HERC410 wrote:
i’ve used an inzer hardcore suit(single ply) and got around 50lbs out of it.[/quote]

Same experience here.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I’ve only used 2. The inzer maxdl and whatever the single ply metal deadlifter is called. The metal one had a ton of pop out of the bottom but was damn near impossible to get into a good position. That being said, the maxDL is the best one out there I think. Even though I’ve only used that and the metal, I don’t think there is anyway a suit could be made better.[/quote]

What is it that you like so much about the maxDL suit?

[quote]thephantom wrote:

[quote]HERC410 wrote:
i’ve used an inzer hardcore suit(single ply) and got around 50lbs out of it.[/quote]

Same experience here. [/quote]

Are you guys weak off of the floor? That seems like a lot to be getting out of a deadlift suit. I have pulled sumo for years and always heard that people got more out of suits pulling sumo, but I don’t get much at all…maybe I just suck in the suit.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]thephantom wrote:

[quote]HERC410 wrote:
i’ve used an inzer hardcore suit(single ply) and got around 50lbs out of it.[/quote]

Same experience here. [/quote]

Are you guys weak off of the floor? That seems like a lot to be getting out of a deadlift suit. I have pulled sumo for years and always heard that people got more out of suits pulling sumo, but I don’t get much at all…maybe I just suck in the suit.[/quote]

I pull sumo and get about 100lbs out of it. I’m weak off the floor but can lock out a shit ton once I break the floor.

Sorry I have not real experience pulling conventional but a lot of people seem to like the Metal King deadlifter.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I’ve only used 2. The inzer maxdl and whatever the single ply metal deadlifter is called. The metal one had a ton of pop out of the bottom but was damn near impossible to get into a good position. That being said, the maxDL is the best one out there I think. Even though I’ve only used that and the metal, I don’t think there is anyway a suit could be made better.[/quote]

What is it that you like so much about the maxDL suit?
[/quote]

When I set up, I like to get to the bar as fast as possible. The maxDL doesnt impede my speed when I am getting my hands to the bar and I can get in basically the same position with and without the suit. I cant do that with a metal. Recently tried one of the titan DL suits. That was stupid.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]thephantom wrote:

[quote]HERC410 wrote:
i’ve used an inzer hardcore suit(single ply) and got around 50lbs out of it.[/quote]

Same experience here. [/quote]

Are you guys weak off of the floor? That seems like a lot to be getting out of a deadlift suit. I have pulled sumo for years and always heard that people got more out of suits pulling sumo, but I don’t get much at all…maybe I just suck in the suit.[/quote]

I pull sumo and get about 100lbs out of it. I’m weak off the floor but can lock out a shit ton once I break the floor.

Sorry I have not real experience pulling conventional but a lot of people seem to like the Metal King deadlifter.[/quote]

I am insanely jealous that you get 100# out of your suit…

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I’ve only used 2. The inzer maxdl and whatever the single ply metal deadlifter is called. The metal one had a ton of pop out of the bottom but was damn near impossible to get into a good position. That being said, the maxDL is the best one out there I think. Even though I’ve only used that and the metal, I don’t think there is anyway a suit could be made better.[/quote]

What is it that you like so much about the maxDL suit?
[/quote]

When I set up, I like to get to the bar as fast as possible. The maxDL doesnt impede my speed when I am getting my hands to the bar and I can get in basically the same position with and without the suit. I cant do that with a metal. Recently tried one of the titan DL suits. That was stupid.[/quote]

That’s exactly what I’m looking for – a suit that gives me some pop but allows me to get into the same position as I can raw. I think I’ll give the maxDL a go.

I too tried a Titan deadlift suit and I hated it. Which struck me as strange, because I love all of my other Titan gear.

I know quite a few people who have switched from several different brands to the Metal King, including me (from a double-ply Hardcore). The Metal King is badass! However, I agree it takes work to get to the bar. But, I’ve always felt like that’s what gives the pop off the floor. If you can get to the bar and get in a good position to pull, you’ll hit PR’s. I have to take my breath before I bend over, grab the bar with my overhand, pull myself down to get my underhand grip, ARCH HARD, then pull!

I had a Metal pro deadlifter and loved it. It gave me great pop off the floor. You have to get it sized correctly and know how to set up with the suit to get in a good position. My weakness is always off the floor so I probably got 50+ lbs. out of it.
I also had an inzer MaxDL and thought it sucked. It was less restrictive but gave me next to nothing off the floor. If I was lucky it gave me 5-10 lbs.
I guess what you like ultimately depends on your style and preference.

try the Inzer Fusion, its a good one, if you compete multy ply get Velcro straps if you can.

I pull raw conventional just because I cant get down