Deadlift, Steak, Beer, Sleep, Repeat

Hi Rob,
Yeah, Charles Poliquin said there’s little in the realm of exercise that hasn’t been done 100 years ago (or words to that effect). I’ve seen little to refute that. Nutrition was probably better then too so the only differences are the wider gene pool and “assistance”! Go further back and look up Hermann Goerner. Nothing new under the sun.
I had a quick peek at Dr D’s forum and I note someone asking if Grant has arrived. Yup, he’s there! Different name but present in all his 6’4" 270lb 57-year-old glory! All done by training once every 2-3 weeks. A marvel.
Training’s going well: 10kg on my deadlift in last 2 months (now 247kg) and 3kg on Push Press in last month but this, the 3rd month, will be the litmus test. Will the progress continue?
No longer felt comfortable posting my workout log on Dr D’s site. I’ve no interest in bodybuilding and gotten into Strongman (and I’ve at least seen a few shows of that). It felt like I was intruding too much. Equally, is there really anything else to say about Casey Viator? Oliva? Coe? They’ve been done to death. At least 30/10/30 and X-Force were different.
How’s the back-off training going? A bit of a scare from the doc. Taking things easier? More cardio?

Best,
Ray

2 Likes

Hey mate,

Completely agree Ray.

3 Likes

Damn! Much respect from me!

2 Likes

Cheers BD :+1:

Like I say, everyone gets their turn, best just to laugh at these things:)

2 Likes

Lone log press this morning
20200808_125206
Worked up to 100kg triple

Followed up and finished with farmers frame carry
170kg x 20 metres
210kg x 2x20metres

Busted!!

6 Likes

100kg for a triple. Nice.

1 Like

Cheers Ray, yeah mate, since eliminating all other pressing movements my overloaf pressing strength has improved greatly:)

1 Like

Shows there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I’ve incorporated more Triceps exercises into my workouts. Seem to be working.
Just one exercise? Damn, even Grant would be pleased. Now, all you need is to lift every fortnight for one static hold and adoration will be a given.

1 Like

Hey Ray,

Oh yes, i add in direct triceps work too, but no other compound pressing movements next to OHPs. Ive not benched, flyed, or dipped in will over a year with this dodgy shoulder, but no pec atrophy what so ever, seems theres enough indirect work.

Ha, yes HIT certainly has its fair share of fanatical followers like Grants, I recall one clown who claimed a natural 35lb muscle gain from 2 sets once every 3-6months lol…you could script it.

Best
Rob

1 Like

Mobility work today, and a 4 mile brisk walk around the coastline, coming into my favourite seasons

20200924_194810

Dinner tonight
10oz of sirloin steak, spuds and vegs…followed up with half a vanilla cheesecake

20200802_204633

5 Likes

Hi Rob,
I’m now doing push press, close-grip bench, dips, French press and rolling triceps exts! Excessive but it’s working. Just don’t have the genetics for good arm development from compounds so, even though I hate doing isolation movements, they’re working. The shame and embarrassment.
HIT Nazis: actually, an unfair criticism. It was always followers of Mentzer who were the issue, I felt. MM sprinkled his writing with lots of references to Rand, Objectivism and the power of the logical mind but never preached it in his own life or programs. Sadly, the Randian references just gave his acolytes a feeling of intellectual superiority. Heavy Duty will go the way of the Dodo now. A shame as MM did start off with the best of intentions, which sadly morphed into absurdity. Grant, though, is in a class of his own.

Best,
Ray

1 Like

Hey Ray,

That sounds good, if its working keep at it. I believe Louie Simmons referred to the triceps extension as the “4th powerlift” he feels that strongly about it.

HIT fanatics/Nazis/jedis; absolutely, we’ve both encountered plenty of those “superior intellects” types over the years.
This individual sums up HIT perfectly for me, eventually most red pill themselves, but there remains those few fanatics.

3 Likes

Only half of a vanilla cheesecake? You light weight

…real man would have done a whole!! :wink:

3 Likes

Been reading your log. Great work after the odd setback.

Best,
Ray

2 Likes

Thanks… lol my log has been nothing but setbacks .

1 Like

Good vid. Dorian’s back routine would crush most but only the top set was ever listed. In truth, it probably exceeded the volume of Arnold and Franco et al.
I am a fan of Dr D, though, but everything needs to be dialled in perfectly for the magic to happen.
Brian Johnstone’s comments on MM should sound the death knell for Heavy Duty. Still, I do owe HIT a lot as it’s what got me hooked on the iron game.

Best,
Ray

1 Like

What is “MM”?

1 Like

Haha…I know, this dieting stuff is ridiculous, but believe me, that other halfa cheesecake was in the fridge calling me lol

2 Likes

Mike Mentzer Artery

1 Like

Okay, I thought you were maybe referencing another board

1 Like