T Nation

Deadlift Stalled Need Advice

So I’ve been doing 3 sets of 5 reps for deadlifts the last 6 months or so and that brought my from 225 x 5 to 335 x 5. However, the last couple of workouts I haven’t been able to progress. I think I need to change my reps/sets scheme.

Do you guys have any advice on what to change the reps/sets to?

I think changing up the reps would be a good idea. Maybe do something 5/3/1-esque where your intensity increases week after week. I.e. week 1 = 9-12 reps, week 2 = 6-8 reps, week 3 = 3-5 reps.

There’s a few things that could be the case here, but in my opinion the 3 most likely are…

1)You need to use lower reps (think 1-3), and only 1 or 2 working sets per workout.

2)You have a seriously neglected muscle group or two in your posterior chain (hammies, spinal erectors, upper back, glutes).

3)You need to eat more protein/food in general.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
I think changing up the reps would be a good idea. Maybe do something 5/3/1-esque where your intensity increases week after week. I.e. week 1 = 9-12 reps, week 2 = 6-8 reps, week 3 = 3-5 reps.[/quote]

Solid advice here, also maybe work in some Rack pulls.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
There’s a few things that could be the case here, but in my opinion the 3 most likely are…

1)You need to use lower reps (think 1-3), and only 1 or 2 working sets per workout.

2)You have a seriously neglected muscle group or two in your posterior chain (hammies, spinal erectors, upper back, glutes).

3)You need to eat more protein/food in general.[/quote]

I vote for number 3 as the priority (then lower sets)…plus maybe a deload depending on how other lifts are doing

[quote]punkguitarist wrote:
So I’ve been doing 3 sets of 5 reps for deadlifts the last 6 months or so and that brought my from 225 x 5 to 335 x 5. However, the last couple of workouts I haven’t been able to progress. I think I need to change my reps/sets scheme.

Do you guys have any advice on what to change the reps/sets to?

[/quote]

I’d need to ask some questions first:

  1. How long are you resting between sets?

  2. Are you training deadlifts by themselves or with other movements?

  3. If you are training with other movements at what point do you train deadlifts during the workout?

  4. Do you do barbell squats at any point during your training week?

  5. What is your diet like? How many calories do you take in during the week?

  6. Has your bodyweight fluctuated at all over the past 6 months? If so by how much?

  7. Do you train alone or with a partner?

  8. What is your work, or school agenda like? In other words how busy are you?

  9. How many times do you do deadlifts during the week?

I’d add:

  1. How much do you sleep?

In addition, have you tried things like rack pulls, deficit deads, etc?

Where is your sticking point? Can you get the weight off the ground or not? Can you go to lockout or not? What do you mean that you’re not progressing?

[quote]ridethecliche wrote:
In addition, have you tried things like rack pulls, deficit deads, etc?

Where is your sticking point? Can you get the weight off the ground or not? Can you go to lockout or not? What do you mean that you’re not progressing?[/quote]

No offense, but I don’t think a guy deadlifting 335x5 needs to worry that much about sticking points, unless of course we see some GLARING weak points, such as zero leg development.

Which is why OP should be posting pics, and other stats of course…

Take an esay week then reduce the weight a little and build back up à la 531 works wonder.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]ridethecliche wrote:
In addition, have you tried things like rack pulls, deficit deads, etc?

Where is your sticking point? Can you get the weight off the ground or not? Can you go to lockout or not? What do you mean that you’re not progressing?[/quote]

No offense, but I don’t think a guy deadlifting 335x5 needs to worry that much about sticking points, unless of course we see some GLARING weak points, such as zero leg development.

Which is why OP should be posting pics, and other stats of course…[/quote]

I completely I agree with you. I don’t think I need to worry about “weak points” because my whole body is weak haha.

Here’s a video of me doing some deads so if you guys have any ideas on how to improve my form let me know (this was for 5 reps but the camera cut short):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ0YXkxsJU4

My other best lifts that would be relevant to deadlifts are box squat 280x7, weighted chins 55x7, and db rows 100 x 12

My routine looks somethine like this:

Monday- Bench + assistance

Wed-Squats + assistance

Fri-Military Press + assistance

Monday-Deadlifts + assistance

Wed- Bench + assistance

etc…

Currently as assistance for deadlifts I do leg press, glute ham raises, and weighted ab work. On squat days for assistance I do romanian deadlifts, lunges, and weighted ab work.

I don’t think diet is an issue. I’m eating 300 grams of protein a day and around 4000 calories a day. My weight has been the same for the last couple of months (around 185-190 at 5’8").

I’m currently not trying to gain any weight because I think I need to get stronger at my current weight before I try to bulk more.

Let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks

And you asked for pics. I don’t know how this will help but I’ll post them anyways

and another one

Good progress so far man…

For what it’s worth I got stuck at 315-335 for a long time.

Pretty much had to bump up to a 1,200-1,500 cal breakfast and close to 300g of protein a day to get past it.

My problem was, and always has been diet and rest. Or otherwise lack there of.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Good progress so far man…

For what it’s worth I got stuck at 315-335 for a long time.

Pretty much had to bump up to a 1,200-1,500 cal breakfast and close to 300g of protein a day to get past it.

My problem was, and always has been diet and rest. Or otherwise lack there of.[/quote]

Exactly, which is why I said before that the calories is probably the priority. And obviously the rest part too.

Sometimes you’ve got to accept the inevitable fat gains if you want to push past sticking points whether it be with mass or strength. OP, if you aren’t gaining weight (i.e. at least some muscle), how come you think that’s acceptable if your deadlift’s stuck and probably other lifts have “grinded” at least little? You’re unlikely recomping much (losing fat and gaining muscle) so to stick at it even though no progress is being made is pointless. Allow your body to grow more and you can almost guarantee your lifts will “thank you” for it lol. Next to the squat, the deadlift is an extremely intensive exercise that demands the calories. 4000 sounds like a lot, but it’s not enough if you aren’t gaining from it.

Having said that though, nice progress! :slight_smile: And you have a good leaness level for a decent bulk.