T Nation

Deadlift/Squat

is it normal to deadlift a weight equal to or greater than your squat wieght? because for some reason i squat AND deadlift the same wieght.

yes, search and you will see there are about 8 billion more posts regarding this

/thread

How deep are you squating ?

A lot of it will have to do with leg length to torso ration and femur to tibia ratio. Also, the bigger you are, the higher the squat will be in comparison to your pull. Also, if you cut your squats high, obviously that'll raise the squat weight. Remember, hip crease below your knees.

i think im squating 90 degrees. the trainer who runs my school wieght room spots me for the squat and he never hesitates to correct me if i have bad form but he didnt say anything.

You should squat to parallel , not "90 degrees". 90 degrees can be much much higher than parallel. If your trainer doesn't know the difference than you should probably stop talking to him.....

Most raw lifters pull more than they squat

I was going to ask the same question. I only do Oly BS and my SQ 1RM was 16% less than my DL 1RM the last time I tested both of them 3 months ago.

The reason you see such huge squat numbers is gear. Squatting in multi-ply gear is a different world and the carryover is huge. On the flip side, gear does little to help your deadlift. I can get over 200 pounds in my squat, but will be lucky to get 50 pounds on my deadlift.

I have met very few school trainers that have a damn clue about squatting. Just saying

The reason you see such huge squat numbers is gear. Squatting in multi-ply gear is a different world and the carryover is huge. On the flip side, gear does little to help your deadlift. I can get over 200 pounds in my squat, but will be lucky to get 50 pounds on my deadlift.

I have met very few school trainers that have a damn clue about squatting. Just saying

hes not a school trainer he just does that on the side and i dont have any gear

You never answered if you your hip crease was going below your knees. That's powerlifting competition depth.

im not sure if its below and i dont squat until Thursday so I'll post then

so he's a trainer from a commercial gym then? still, most trainers at commercials gyms don't know what a proper squat is. But take a vid, if you can (from the side), so we can gage if it's good depth or nto.

yeah he works at Golds and im pretty sure he's a CSCS because he's the reason i want to be a CSCS