T Nation

Deadlift/Squat... Too Stiff to Have Perfect Form

That kind of explains it all, but I need some mobility/flexibility advise.

I cannot, for the life of me, raise my chest enough. the arch in my back sucks for both my squat and deadlift. I cannot even do overhead squats either.

I'm assuming this is a tightness in my chest/abs? That's where I feel it the most prior to starting the movement.

Ankle mobility sucks too, my anterior muscles on my calves contract too hard during the squat to sit back enough.

Please, I need some advise, its killing my performance on those 2 lifts, out of everything!
I'm def not that strong by tmuslce definitions but I've made some huge gains in the last 2 years of training and I want to perform good technique before I kill myself...

Put up vids. I'm having a hard time deciphering this.

Do you look up when you squat? Just my suggestion until someone with a better explanation steps in lol.

A lot of people don't have the mobility to do a proper overhead squat. You might find practicing overhead squats with just the bar (or slightly heavier), with help you with your mobility in both lifts. Video's or photo's could be helpful here.

I'm a really inflexible guy, so I can relate. But this specifically has not been much of an issue for me. I just kept practicing until I got it right. With deadlifting, I have a feeling it might have more to do with your form then your flexibility, but that's just a guess.

Dude, overhead squats are really hard for normal people :wink:.

But seriously, authors like Eric Cressey have written a lot on hip mobility, ankle mobility and thoracic spine mobility. Look up articles by Cressey on this site.