Deadlift-Squat Discrepancy

[quote]larryb wrote:
When I weighed 135, I could squat about 180 and deadlift 410. I had big forearms and lats, but was otherwise really skinny.
[/quote]

If true, that’s very impressive. What are your numbers now?

[quote]snatchcleanjerk wrote:
Stiff-leg deadlifting more than you squat? I guess that follows if your regular deadlift is almost twice your squat. I know that in my case my regular deadlift starting position looks very much like a stiff-legged deadlift. I haven’t tried an SLDL in years, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find myself in your boat and able to manage more weight in that than I could squat. Maybe I’ll try it today.[/quote]

Yeah, give it a go, but don’t blame me if you strain your back :slight_smile:

To try and remedy my situation I stopped doing back squats in December last year. Now I’m concentrating on overhead and (especially) front squats. My front squat is up to a (calculated) 1RM of 180lbs, so I’m slowly catching up with my back squat. The first times I performed front squats it was pityful, I could barely manage any weight. I need to boost my quads, it seems.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
larryb wrote:
When I weighed 135, I could squat about 180 and deadlift 410. I had big forearms and lats, but was otherwise really skinny.

If true, that’s very impressive. What are your numbers now?[/quote]

I now weigh 160. My max deadlift, recently, is 430, but I know I can get a bit more. I can ATG squat 220. My knees are messed up from basketball, so I can’t do parallel squats (stopping at parallel is too painful), but that would probably equate to a 260 or so parallel squat, based on my pre-knee-damage numbers. So the muscle I added to the legs and elsewhere didn’t help the deadlift much, but added a lot to the squat.

Years before I ever deadlifted I used to do straight-leg deadlifts from blocks, starting with the bar at my feet. I remember doing sets of 12 for speed with 240. At that time I probably weighed 125 and couldn’t squat 140. I guess I have some kind of mechanical advantage in the way my lower back is structured. My arms are also fairly but not exceptionally long (6’ wingspan at 5’9 1/2").

You wanna see a major DL-Squat discrepancy…try comparing Trap Bar Dead Lifts to Hip Belt Squats.

I pulled 400 with my trap last wed, yesterday I tried 120 on my Hip Belt…stuck to the floor!

This thread is giving me a complex. I havent maxed out in a long time. I do sets of 5 and I squat (ATG) 275, and deadlift the same. And i only bench 205 (but I dont bounce). For some reason I always thought that you should be able to squat and dead more than you bench. Is that weird? Or is everyone just scared of squats?

[quote]mrjoshua wrote:
This thread is giving me a complex.[/quote]

Why!?

I’ve never maxed out. The 1RM numbers I put up are calculated (like I said in the posts). I usually do 5 reps on my “heaviest” lifts.

Those are decent numbers (for me, anyway); are the going up? If that’s the case, there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

As for you bench, I won’t embarrass myself by posting my numbers. It is true that I’ve had many shoulder problems in the past 2 years, but my chest has always been pathetic and I’m considering giving up on BB bench press forever. But that’s another story.

You’re right! You should! I don’t think anyone can bench more than they squat unless they are wearing a suit and benchpressing powerlifting style.

I mean, look at your legs, then look at your arms. Tell me, which of the two looks like it can handle more weight? :slight_smile:

hah well
I bench 120, deadlift 120 and squat a whopping 50 because of a knee that is getting better (thank you flameout)

Sucks being a beginner :slight_smile:

[quote]mrjoshua wrote:
This thread is giving me a complex. I havent maxed out in a long time. I do sets of 5 and I squat (ATG) 275, and deadlift the same. And i only bench 205 (but I dont bounce). For some reason I always thought that you should be able to squat and dead more than you bench. Is that weird? Or is everyone just scared of squats?[/quote]

I am much more comfortable going heavy on deadlifts than squats. I workout in my room and my rack isn’t the highest quality, so I’m not too keen on a heavy weight coming off my back and knocking my power rack down to take out my whole room.