T Nation

Deadlift & Squat... Any Tips?

I started on TBT today and I’ve noticed my squatting and deadlifting skills are far from perfect. I’ve been reviewing those uwlax (sp?) a few times but I can’t seem to duplicate their positions… do you, as experienced t-man, have any pointers for me?

I also took a look at Ian King’s guides for deadlifting and squats but it didn’t help me I guess, I still feel like I’m imitating Mr. Bean having spasms when I squat :-\

Take video and post it, there is no way to tell how to guide you without knowing what your form looks like…

While difficult to suggest answers to your form questions one bit of advice should serve you well with both lifts.

Head up–at least level–
Shoulders back
tight mid-section
drive through your heels

Start lighter to get a feel for the proper form.

Good luck

Have you been deadlifting and squatting previously and are just noticing form issues now? Or are you knew to squatting and deadlifting. And how long have you been working out? If you are new to deadlifting and squatting and lifting generally, it may not be the best thing to be doing 5-rep sets and heavier work.

Is doing 3x10 deadlifts and 4x10 squats with 2 sets of anything for abs too much for one day?

(I use 115 lbs. for deadlifts/squats)
My max is probably btw 150-160? I have no idea really.

[quote]Vintor wrote:
Is doing 3x10 deadlifts and 4x10 squats with 2 sets of anything for abs too much for one day?

(I use 115 lbs. for deadlifts/squats)
My max is probably btw 150-160? I have no idea really.[/quote]

Not for most people. However, keep in mind that deadlifts and squats both work the posterior chain heavily. You may consider doing deads and squats on different days.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:
I started on TBT today and I’ve noticed my squatting and deadlifting skills are far from perfect. I’ve been reviewing those uwlax (sp?) a few times but I can’t seem to duplicate their positions… do you, as experienced t-man, have any pointers for me?

I also took a look at Ian King’s guides for deadlifting and squats but it didn’t help me I guess, I still feel like I’m imitating Mr. Bean having spasms when I squat :-[/quote]

dude if you just started…relax. work with it. it takes time to build strength, flexibility and technique. impossible to tell w/o seeing you but i bet you’re wicked tight through the glutes/hams/lower back. not too mention weak. just keep at it and use a weight you can control- like the bar. it will take time. it will be worth it.

I’ve been working out for quite some time now although I must say any form of real, balanced schedule was never part of this.

I have done squats and dl’s before but I never put much notice into form. Now that I’m using a bit of weight (used to do squats with nothing, and DL’s with like 7kg dumbbells) I’m noticing it’s hard to keep a proper form while I’m not really overloading.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Have you been deadlifting and squatting previously and are just noticing form issues now? Or are you knew to squatting and deadlifting. And how long have you been working out? If you are new to deadlifting and squatting and lifting generally, it may not be the best thing to be doing 5-rep sets and heavier work.[/quote]

I have been squatting and deadlifting for a while…here is my tip:

If you are actually enjoying either movement you are not working hard enough!

Are there any knowledgeable people in your gym that could check out your form while you’re doing these? That always helps. Make sure you offer to pay for their services.

I had the gym instructor look at my deadlifts, he said it’s allright how I do it but I’m not sure since my gym is mostly used as place to catch up on social contacts than anything else so I kinda doubt his expertise.

I’ve noticed when I squat I tend to lift my heels up and do it from my toes when I get low… is this good?

[quote]bikemike wrote:
Are there any knowledgeable people in your gym that could check out your form while you’re doing these? That always helps. Make sure you offer to pay for their services.[/quote]

hehe i just started TBT also. First time doign real squats and dead lifts…

i posted on my blog about it

[quote]pradaboy wrote:
I had the gym instructor look at my deadlifts, he said it’s allright how I do it but I’m not sure since my gym is mostly used as place to catch up on social contacts than anything else so I kinda doubt his expertise.

I’ve noticed when I squat I tend to lift my heels up and do it from my toes when I get low… is this good?

[/quote]

I’m no expert, but I am absolutely sure supporting the weight with the balls of your feet instead of the heels is bad.

What really helped me out was to always focus on keeping your torso tight and supporting and pushing the weight with your heels.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:
[/quote]

bro you’re either wicked tight or it’s those italian shoes you’re wearin’.
prolly both.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:

bikemike wrote:
Are there any knowledgeable people in your gym that could check out your form while you’re doing these? That always helps. Make sure you offer to pay for their services.

[/quote]

I can’t see how it would hurt. Some guys put blocks under their heels when squatting. What’s the difference? It seems like you’re using your calfs a little bit. Nothing wrong with that, that I know of.

Haha, that’d be the day… sporting my Prada’s in the gym. Don’t worry it’s not that, I have my trusty Nike’s for the gym. I guess I’m too tight, I think I’ve never done proper squats before.

Before stumbling onto T-Nation I didn’t even realize the importance of deadlifts and squats. Most I did were isolation exercises and maybe one or two compound lifts… terrible huh?

[quote]swivel wrote:
pradaboy wrote:

bro you’re either wicked tight or it’s those italian shoes you’re wearin’.
prolly both.

[/quote]

To avoid going up on your toes when squatting try to widen your stance a bit and point the feet slightly outwards.

Don’t forget the streching though, I think 95% of all trainers don’t strech enough.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:

[/quote]

This is from Mike Robertson’s “10 Tips for Flawless Squattin’” article.

"The weight should be balanced over the mid-foot or shifted slightly towards the heel. Again, comfort is most important here. You want to find a technique you’re comfortable with and that will allow you to move the heaviest iron possible.

Keep in mind that if you get the weight too far towards the heel you?ll fall over backwards and lose coolness points. Also, if the weight gets shifted towards your toes you?ll get rounded over. Neither is conducive to moving heavy weights or your general health!"

I personally can’t even do bodyweight squats with the weight on my toes without it hurting my knees. Also, you should read through the articles in the archives then you’ll more than likely find the answers to your questions.