Deadlift, squat, and good morning

Is it ok to deadlift, squat, and goodmorning in the same workout program? I do Dlifts on monday with back and biceps, and don’t squat till friday. Yet my lower back is usually always sore and tight. If i stand still with my weight equally on both feet, my back starts hurting after like fifteen minutes, and it feels like my shoulders want to round foward. I don’t try and push up poundages on all three lifts at the same time. I’ll work the squat hard for about three weeks, then back off and work on adding weight to my Dlift. My form seems good, maybe i just have a weak lower back. If anyone can offer any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I talked to Poliquin the other day on the phone and he said never squat and deadlift in the same workout. I would imagine that squats and goodmornings are OK.LL

If your on a lower back specialization progra, 2-4 sets of each may be warranted, but I would imagine that in most people this would quickly lead to overtraining of the low back musculature. Personally, the DL, GM, and Squat are three movements I never pair in the same workout. I use them as primary movements within a workout and pick something (e.g., lunges, step ups, etc.) less taxing to the low back to compliment them. If done correctly your low back want need much more. If you did perform, say 3 sets each of DL, GM, and the squat, your low back is getting 9 sets of work, hamstrings 6, glutes 6, quads 3. Over time muscle imbalances are likely.

I wouldn’t do all three. Poliquin wrote once that he never has a trainee squat and do good mornings in the same cycle, that it would overtrain the lower back. I think it also depends on how much you are lifting and how long you have been lifting if you can do 1 or 2 of those exercises. I think if you were only squatting 150 and deadlifting 175, you could do both in a workout, but if you had signifigantly bigger lifts you should pick one, do it for a cycle and then switch to the other.

I recently have been doing both deadlifts and squats in the same workout. I perform deadlifts first because I am more concerned with increasing in that lift. However, it is very evident to me that my lower back cannot handle the load as well when it’s time to squat and thus my quads don’t get the desired stimulation. Therefore, I don’t really suggest doing both in the same workout. The other fellas make some nice alternative suggestions and points.

At present for my leg workouts I am starting with Deadlifts and then doing Squats as my second exercise. I have found that my squats have started to improve and strengthen as a result of this program. I find also that doing the deadlifts first warms my body up more effectively for squatting that doing multi-set isolation exercises. {that’s just a personal thing tho]I also have found that I have been able to start squatting heavier because of the D/L’s warming me up - thus more [for me] intensity as a series of work sets.

At present for my leg workouts I am starting with Deadlifts and then doing Squats as my second exercise. I have found that my squats have started to improve and strengthen as a result of this program. I find also that doing the deadlifts first warms my body up more effectively for squatting that doing multi-set isolation exercises. {that’s just a personal thing tho]I also have found that I have been able to start squatting heavier because of the D/L’s warming me up - thus more [for me] intensity as a series of work sets.