T Nation

Deadlift: Speed Off the Floor

Anyone have any personal experiences that has helped with speed off the floor?

try the sumo stance for a few weeks

i can DL 405…i know this might be a stupid question but how much could I sumo Stance?

The reason i am asking this is because my 315 is just as slow off the floor as my 405…

Im not to sure on this, but I think you can deadlift more in a sumo stance than in conventional because of the ROM off the floor is shorter.

I’m no expert, but doing some box squats might help.

Try front sqauts, and pulling from a lower position. Use 35lb plates instead of 45’s. Stand on a box etc… Both work very well…

[quote]xivb4m wrote:
i can DL 405…i know this might be a stupid question but how much could I sumo Stance?

The reason i am asking this is because my 315 is just as slow off the floor as my 405…[/quote]

you will pull more in the sumo position, how much is hard to say every ones diferent.

speed deadlifts with 60% of your max 6 sets of 1

would probly be beter doing say 8 sets of 3, with bands attached.

[quote]BigMike wrote:
speed deadlifts with 60% of your max 6 sets of 1[/quote]

Definitely add some speed work. Get your motor units moving faster.

What helped me was high bar squats, same stance width I use to deadlift (so alot closer than squat stance- heels maybe 6 inches apart) go below parallel and hold 3 seconds. Concentrate on staying tight and really exploding out of the bottom. Do maybe 2-3 sets of 3, not max, just enough to strain a bit on the last one- high reps and your lower back will fatigue and your form goes out the window.

This helped me because I was doing these with the same stance and back position I use to deadlift. This also helped me at the bottom of my squat which had alsways been somewhat weak.

Just my 2 cents

all great suggestions…thanks for all the responses i know what i need to do.

Pause reps instead of bouncing them. Defecit deads off a 2-4" block. Bands can be good but not sure you need them yet. And work on quad strength and using your legs (ie get your squat up there and you pull should go up), even heavy deep leg presses might help you out.

[quote]Kerley wrote:
you will pull more in the sumo position, how much is hard to say every ones diferent.[/quote]

How do you know that? Some people are better built for conventional deads. Even if he is better suited for sumo-pulls that doesn’t mean he will pull more using that technique straight away.

I dont know if you have ever used bands at all, but you should try doing your DL with bands. Just about 5 or so pulls with a decent weight. I found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qury6xBN7KI

Should look a little something like that. Really helps you accelerate the bar. A doubled up mini band is 210 at the top and I can’t remember how much off the floor.

[quote]Kerley wrote:
xivb4m wrote:

The reason i am asking this is because my 315 is just as slow off the floor as my 405…

you will pull more in the sumo position, how much is hard to say every ones diferent.[/quote]

My sumo is almost 100lbs less than my conventional…

My sumo is lower than my conventional, as well.

[quote]usaffirefighter wrote:
BigMike wrote:
speed deadlifts with 60% of your max 6 sets of 1

Definitely add some speed work. Get your motor units moving faster. [/quote]

i love speed deadlifts , they make me feel strong lol, i also like to try n work up in weight with em sometimes

Reverse band deadlifts have helped a bit for me. You still get the feeling of heavy-ass weight, but it teaches you to accelerate the weight off the bottom.

Might want to look at your technique. Pulling with lower hips and using the quads to break the bar off the floor = good speed of floor, most people stiff leg it in my experience.