Deadlift Slow Off Floor

Hi everyone,

Title is self-explanatory. I feel that as long as I get the weight off the ground I am able to lock it out… Kind of turns into a waiting game because I have to wait for the weight to get off the ground.

Was wondering if there’s something wrong with my technique, and possible solutions; I’ve read in past T-Nation articles that speed pulls from a deficit would be a good exercise to do?

Thanks for the help.

*Attached video is 180kg at 77kg BW.

From what I can see, your feet are too far apart for you to be able to generate any decent leg drive, forcing you to pull pretty much entirely with your hamstrings and lower back, which would explain the lack of speed off the floor along with back round.

I shot this video a while back, and it details the things I think a lot of people screw up with their deads. See if it helps you

Paused squats may help. Deficit Pulls help me alot.

deficit pulls, box jumps, speed deads(only to knee level)
u need to be more EXPLOSIVE

I have a couple thoughts on this. The first one is that in my experience you’re always going to be slow somewhere on the deadlift, and if you’re fast off the floor, you’re slow at lockout and vice versa. So if you are still able to make progress, don’t let it bother you too much and just keep getting stronger on the deadlift.

The second thing is you may benefit from more of a mentality change than anything. Keep your technique solid, keep your spine in the proper position, but when you get ready to deadlift just abandon all reason and rip that shit as hard as you fucking can. It’s not really like the bench and the squat where you get to feel the weight for a while and come down as slowly as you want before the eccentric portion of the lift begins. Just try to wind yourself up and go crazy like you’re going to jump through the roof with the weight.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I have a couple thoughts on this. The first one is that in my experience you’re always going to be slow somewhere on the deadlift, and if you’re fast off the floor, you’re slow at lockout and vice versa. So if you are still able to make progress, don’t let it bother you too much and just keep getting stronger on the deadlift.[/quote]
I second this. However, a strong set of abs I feel helps with speed off the floor.

Agree with csulli, it’s a mentality. get a particular rhythm that makes you feel confident. Load the hips, bob them, do whatever to get in the right frame of mind.

I’ve got a similar problem with my deadlift. If it comes off the floor, it’s fast, but breaking it off the floor is always the sticking point. As an Asian 77 kg, we’ve got a similar build. The combination of a relatively long torso with short arms means you have really poor leverage at the floor and it’s hard to get much drive going.

Things to try.

1. Narrower stance
  2. Deficit pulls
  3. Lower abs
  4. Leg press
  5. Sumo

I haven’t made the switch to sumo yet, as I think conventional has better carryover to other things, but it’s probably in my future. My pull length is the same as my coach who’s a 120 kg lifter and significantly taller.

A couple really good responses so far (T3hPwnisher and csulli). Here’s my two cents; I also struggle from the floor; if I get it to my knees I will absolutely lock it out. Strengthening my upper back made a noticeable difference. The one exercise that had the biggest impact was bent barbell rows, setting the weight on the floor between each rep (but not taking my hands off). Really squeeze the shoulder blades together at the top. I had done seated cable rows and dumbbell rows before, but the barbell rows really had a noticeably bigger impact.

I used to have the same issue when I did a lot more deadlifting than squatting. If I could break it off the ground, lockout was not a problem. When I focused more on my squat and my legs got significantly stronger, breaking the bar off the floor became much easier, and lockout became my weakest point. I don’t know if this helps at all, but I feel like it’s worth mentioning.

Front Squats and start training your core heavily.

Thanks for the fast responses, I’m training speed pulls today, let you guys know how it goes!

Exercises to Improve your Deadlift - YouTube Check out that video. Gives you an exact explanation of how to go about it.

Ghrs really helped me with my off the floor speed, but that will only help if your form is moderately on point

So I trained ME pulls yesterday, and pulled a 10kg PR! I feel the narrow stance really helps with the leg drive and hamstrings.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me!