Deadlift Slow Off Floor

Hey guys – been a while since I last posted. I’ve had a streak of terrible luck, including an accident that left me with a herniated disc and my 3rd concussion. This was almost immediately followed by bronchitis. After a couple months of recovery I’m reassessing my strength and it has definitely gone down a bit. Here’s a video of me deadlifting with my crew (I’m the lanky one with long hair and leg tattoo). I’m a sloth off the ground but my lockout seems alright. Any advice on what to do to explode off the floor? Thanks.

I know you’re already very tall, but what about deficit deads? Or maybe just some speed training? For me, I just make sure I don’t spend too much time in between grabbing the bar and lifting it. The more time I spend fiddling with my position, the harder it’s going to be for me to get going. I walk up, grab it, and lift. Then again I’m only 5’8".

Goodmornings all types

Deficit deadlifts

Sumo deadlifts. Wide and narrow stances

Stiffleg and romanian deadlifts

Get your mind right before the lift, believe you are fast. Concentrate on speed from the beginning of the lift.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Caltene wrote:
I know you’re already very tall, but what about deficit deads? Or maybe just some speed training? For me, I just make sure I don’t spend too much time in between grabbing the bar and lifting it. The more time I spend fiddling with my position, the harder it’s going to be for me to get going. I walk up, grab it, and lift. Then again I’m only 5’8".[/quote]

I agree with this.

Also, heavy front and Zercher squats have helped me with those first few inches off the floor on my deads.[/quote]

Going to second this. Front squats (especially from the bottom pins up), deficit deadlifts, and speed pulls is my favorite combo if it’s a speed problem. Honorable mention to snatch grip deadlifts, bottom half deadlifts for reps, and good mornings *instead of * speed pulls if it’s a strength problem–front squat from pins and deficit deads help both speed and strength in my opinion.

I’ve found speed pulls never helped break the weight off the floor. Even when done from a deficit. They are more useful for breaking through sticking points once the weight leaves the floor.

[quote]dayoff wrote:
I’ve found speed pulls never helped break the weight off the floor. Even when done from a deficit. They are more useful for breaking through sticking points once the weight leaves the floor.[/quote]

When i did them from a deficit my pull got extremely quick off the floor. It was always the weakest–if i can get it past the first 4" it’s going up. I’ve never failed something higher than that. But that’s why i separated “speed problem” & “strength problem”. Some people just accelerate very slowly. These are people that can benefit from speed pulls because they need to become more explosive. If it’s a strength problem speed pulls really aren’t going to give you the help you’re looking for.

anything that improves quad strength should help the initial drive from the floor.