Deadlift Scheme: High Rep vs. Low Rep

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

[quote]bwilliamsr89 wrote:
Thanks WP, whats the benefit from doing rack pulls and modified deads like that. I know it allows you to use more weight, does that carry over to your full ROM dead? Or is the point just to have heavy shit in your hands for general overload to the whole system? I imagine some serious trap and grip work from this as well.[/quote]

the benefits really depend on the height of the elevation. IMO, if you are pulling from knee level or above it has absolutely ZERO carryover to the full ROM dead. it’s basically just an ego lift at that point. now, if you are pulling from midshin you will notice that you will actually be lifting less than your full ROM dead. the reason for this is because most people are weak at midshin because that’s a transition point in the deadlift. without the speed off the floor to get you through that transition point, your numbers will be much lower. as a result, that is exactly where one should pull from if they want to pull from an elevation. without that speed you will really need to learn to strain to get the bar moving from that point.
[/quote]

Discovered exactly this tonight deadlifting off 4" blocks. Expected to go over my 1 rep max off the floor (484) and didn’t get close, managed 3 reps with 451. I’m glad I read this I feel better now. Thanks.
[/quote]

no problem. happy to help.

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
For size I’d say keep the reps at five or above. Only one set though.

If you want a bigger DL however you’ll want to keep the reps lower, like 1-3 with lots of speed work.[/quote]

I agree with my boy on this one!

I wish I could do rack pulls. But the rack at my gym doesnt have pins.

Caveman, how many times a week do you deadlift and with what reps/weight? just curious.[/quote]

pretty much what i laid out at the begining of the thread once a week, which has brought me up to 200kg 1m so far. although now im doing DJs one lift a day, which is 7x5/6x3/5,3,2 once a week.
i have also found back squats, zercher squats and heavy BB rows (over 110kg without putting the bar down for reps) help

[quote]WP wrote:

Caveman, how many times a week do you deadlift and with what reps/weight? just curious.[/quote]

You can do box deadlifts instead. It’s basically the same thing except you elevate the plates using those step-up thingys, matts, other benches or anything else that would hold the weight:

[/quote]

that’s one ugly mofo. if he lost some weight he would be able to deadlift so much better.
[/quote]
Haha, clearly his weight is holding him back.

I guess I really just want to have a strong dead lift, so I’ll be sticking to lower reps. Right now Im racing for 405, Im about 380 right now. I cant wait to break 400, after being on this site for a year or so, numbers that seem high to most people just seem so light. I cant wait to actually feel proud of my lifts, by T standards.

[quote]WP wrote:

You can do box deadlifts instead. It’s basically the same thing except you elevate the plates using those step-up thingys, matts, other benches or anything else that would hold the weight:

[/quote]

that’s one ugly mofo. if he lost some weight he would be able to deadlift so much better.
[/quote]
Haha, clearly his weight is holding him back. [/quote]

it was a joke…that’s actually me when i was more of a fatass.

[quote]WP wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

what the hell? is this guy too lazy and weak to pull from the fuckin floor?

j/k MM youre beastly.

[quote]WP wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

it was a joke…that’s actually me when i was more of a fatass.
[/quote]
ya, thats what I thought. I was playing along.