T Nation

Deadlift Routine?

Im probably gonna start deadlifting soon to start building a thicker back. I’m wondering what would be a good back routine to accompany the deadlifting.

Chins, pull-ups, rows, blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, what he said -lol

When I had very little time to train in grad school, my back workout was pretty much those 3 exercises. Then I’d do a few sets of incline DB curls for my bi’s, and be done and gone in about 30-40 minutes tops.

-S

Deadlifts are not the greatest just to add weekly to your workout. You will get to the point pretty soon where 7 days are not enough rest to recover from the load. I would do them every 10-14 days when you reach that point.

Deadlifts overfatigue the lower back and you will get to the point after one month of doing them that your lower back gets fried and you will feel it the second you try to pick the weight up, there is nothing there.

Deadlifts are a great exercise but that is one exercise you cant just throw together with other really tough exercises and think you have a program. Gotta get that rest in.

Yeah, when I deadlift, it’s sometimes the only thing I do that day.

Read “POWER TO THE PEOPLE” by Pavel. It is great reading for deadlift routines. He advocates doing deads and a press as the only 2 exercises needed.

[quote]Kal-El wrote:
Read “POWER TO THE PEOPLE” by Pavel. It is great reading for deadlift routines. He advocates doing deads and a press as the only 2 exercises needed. [/quote]

These extremely simplistic workouts had better have very solid exercises. A few years ago I might have agreed, but deadlifts cannot be done that often. A squat would be a much better overall exercise just because deadlifts are too hard to do often enough.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
Kal-El wrote:
Read “POWER TO THE PEOPLE” by Pavel. It is great reading for deadlift routines. He advocates doing deads and a press as the only 2 exercises needed.

These extremely simplistic workouts had better have very solid exercises. A few years ago I might have agreed, but deadlifts cannot be done that often. A squat would be a much better overall exercise just because deadlifts are too hard to do often enough.
[/quote]

Maybe if you’re lifting powerlifter numbers, but for someone that deadlifts in the 300-400 range, they can and should be done every week, just because it’s such a kickass exercise.

Shadowzz4:These extremely simplistic workouts had better have very solid exercises. A few years ago I might have agreed, but deadlifts cannot be done that often. A squat would be a much better overall exercise just because deadlifts are too hard to do often enough.

I too thought that way before reading the book. Everything Pavel has to say in the book makes total sense. You can do deads several times a week using a wave load parameter. Buy the book, I found it cheap on EBAY.