T Nation

Deadlift Routine - Coan/Philipi Program

Well, here begins my road to a 500 DL. I've plugged in my starting number at 425 for something I know I can hit for an easy single. Hopefully to try to get used to the program for a couple weeks and then bring on the pain with the bigger numbers.

I will update this log each week and plug in the numbers for Accessory movements and the main lifts. Video will come later in the program when I get into the higher weights to try to keep track of form. Starting BW of 182 LBS.

First Week

Deadlift: 1x2 @ 375 LBS
Speed deadlift: 8x3 @ 300 LBS
3 circuits for Accessory Work:
Stiff-leg deadlift: 245 for 8X3
Bent over row: 155 for 8X3
Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 162.5 for 8X3
Arched back good morning: 135 for 8X3

Because this was my first Deadlift workout with both DL and Speed DL, I didn't know where to gauge my accessory work in fear of being to tired. I will probably add onto these each week in about 5-10 LB increments unless I cannot hit the desired number of reps.

Feel free to post any suggestions or tips if you have tried this program!

Thanks,
Matt

Il be running this program after my up coming push/pull comp, aiming for my first 500lb pull. Will be reading to see how you get on

After giving it some more thought, I am probably going to drop my estimated max to 475 instead of 500. No reason to rush into it so fast. So for the second week I will adjust my numbers, but it should stay relatively the same.

If you have any questions along the way about what you see, feel free to ask and I will do my best! All I know so far is, I am amped and ready to DL again and I have another 6 days to wait!

Second Week -

Deadlift: 1x2 @ 380 LBS
Speed deadlift: 8x3 @ 310 LBS

Circuit's for Accessory Work:
Stiff-leg deadlift: 255 for 8X3
Bent over row: 165 for 8X3
Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 170 for 8X3
Arched back good morning: 135 for 8X3

I decided to bring up majority of my accessory lifts after getting a better idea last week. I will start to add about 5 LBS +/- onto the Accessory movements per week until I can't get the required reps, or my form gets sloppy.

All in all this was a great workout and I am already looking forward to the next!

Third Week -

Deadlift: 1x2 @ 405 LBS
Speed deadlift: 6x3 @ 335 LBS

Stiff-leg deadlift: 260 for 8X3
Bent over row: 170 for 8X3
Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 175 for 8X3
Arched back good morning: 140 for 8X3

I decided to add about 5 LBS on my accessory lifts to keep the progression moving. The weight on GM is still light, however I never really liked going heavy on those.

I am starting to notice the speed off of the floor on my warm up sets is increasing. 365 flew up and I had a new PR on 405 for 2 reps. I've never repped out on 405 and if I had to guess I would of been able to hit another 3-4. Can't wait for the weeks to come!

Fourth Week-

Deadlift: 1x2 @ 430 LBS
Speed deadlift: 5x3 @ 355 LBS

Stiff-leg deadlift: 265 for 8X3
Bent over row: 175 for 8X3
Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 180 for 8X3
Arched back good morning: 145 for 8X3

Well today was a great workout. I got a new PR for DL as 425 was my old max. I pulled a new PR, and pulled it for a double. Increased the weight on all of my accessory movements as well and was still able to complete the subscribed reps. Overall I am happy with progress and looking forward for the up and coming weeks.

Fifth Week-

Deadlift : 3X3 @ 380 LBS
Speed Deadlift : 3X3 @ 310 LBS

No more circuit work, so the rest of the workout went as follows.

Stiff-leg Deads : 3X5 @ 285,295 and 315 (PR)
Power Shrugs : 3X5 @ 255 LBS
BB Row : 3X5 @ 185 LBS
Underhand Reverse Grip Pulldown : 3X5 @ 190 LBS
Good Morning : 3X5 @ 165 LBS (PR)

Solid session today. Deadlifts felt good and I am starting to see an increase in speed off of the floor. I got a new PR in both SLDL and GM. I have taken GM easy because I don't want to tweak my back in such a grueling program. Didn't sacrifice form for any weights, so I am overall very pleased. Half way done!

Sixth Week-

Deadlift : 1X2 @ 405 LBS
Speed Deadlift : 3X3 @ 335 LBS

Accessory Work -

Stiff-leg Deads : 3X5 @ 315
Power Shrugs : 3X5 @ 275 LBS
BB Row : 3X5 @ 185 LBS
Underhand Reverse Grip Pulldown : 1X5 @ 190 LBS and 2X5 @ 200 LBS
Good Morning : 3X5 @ 155 LBS

Could of been a better workout, but solid for the most part. Didn't get to eat my meal before the gym, so I was running on a somewhat empty stomach. 4 more weeks left.

Seventh Week-

Deadlift : 1X2 @ 430 LBS
Speed Deadlift : 3X3 @ 355 LBS

Accessory Work -

Stiff-leg Deads : 2X5 @ 325
Power Shrugs : 3X5 @ 300 LBS
BB Row : 2X5 @ 185 LBS
Underhand Reverse Grip Pulldown : 2X5 @ 200 LBS
Good Morning : 2X5 @ 175 LBS

Great workout, really pushed myself for this one. The next three weeks are going to be killer, all attempts at a PR. I am more than ready for it, just need to get in the proper food and sleep. Let's set some PR's!

Eighth Week

Deadlift : 1 @ 450 LBS ( PR )
Speed Deadlift : 3X3 @ 335 LBS

Accessory Work -

Stiff-leg Deads : 2X5 @ 335
Power Shrugs : 3X5 @ 315 LBS
BB Row : 2X5 @ 185 LBS
Underhand Reverse Grip Pulldown : 2X5 @ 100 LBS
Good Morning : 1X5 @ 175 ; 1X5 @ 185

Well this was the first week that would tell me how the program was doing. I had a brain fart and forgot I was supposed to do 450 twice, however I am content with the one rep. It is a new weight PR of 20 LBS so I am extremely happy. I have two weeks left, attempts of both 465 and 475. I have nothing but good things to say about this routine.

Ninth Week -

Posting about the only thing that matters, another PR!!! Hit 465 for a Single. It was a grinder, but a great accomplishment through what felt like a big mental block. I am going to take next week off and deload, and attempt 475 as my new max for the Program.