T Nation

Deadlift Reps


#1

Bored during a conference call, so starting a discussion about deadlifts.

Reps.

1 rep is all that matters at a meet.

From a pure performance standpoint, do you like higher reps? Touch and go? Reset every rep?

I personally don't like to go above 5-6 reps with deadlifts. I don't bounce. Admittedly, my deadlift sucks :wink:

How do you like to train DL?


#2

Rarely ever pull from the floor in any regard, but I had far more success improving my 1rm on deadlifts using higher rep ranges (Starting at 12 and working down to around 4-5 over several months) with touch and go.

I found that higher reps and touch and go actually helped prep me for grinder deadlifts, since it meant that I had trained my body to strain for about 40 seconds at a time.


#3

If I were to deadlift for more than 5 reps I would typically do a rack pull from about mid shin which most of the time would be on my 5’s week of 5/3/1. On 3’s week I will try to push hard for a PR (5 or more from the floor) if I’m feeling decent and it really preps me for the 531 week where going for more than 3 reps on a heavy deadlift I will feel comfortable grinding out more reps which is exactly what Pwnisher was saying. I would feel like my head is going to explode going for 12+ reps!!!


#4

I rarely deadlift higher than 6 reps, never do touch n go as I think it teaches bad habits with your bar path. I train my deadlift on a rotating schedule basically, one week i work up to my planned heavy sets X reps, the following week is my lighter week with a focus on technique and generally I will go heavier on my assistance work.


#5

[quote]jblues85 wrote:
I would feel like my head is going to explode going for 12+ reps!!! [/quote]

It’s definitely uncomfortable, and I tend to blow out a ton of blood vessels in my face, back, traps and chest. That said, learning to be able to strain/be comfortable straining like that can be pretty valuable.


#6

Bar path, leverages and load distribution through the body is more important than the actual training method. But the training method can help people learn those things. I’ve had things work that didn’t in the past because of those improvements.

Personally I like pause deadlifts and mat pulls. I use touch-and-go when I feel like changing it up. When doing touch-and-go, I use a very small tap at the bottom to stay in position. I normally use the 2-5 rep range. I can see higher rep ranges working for something like the 5/3/1 BBB Challenge but I still needed to taper off into lower volume and higher intensity to reap the benefits.


#7

Doing touch and go reps helped me learn an optimal bar path. Now when i set up, I do so exactly where I would touch the bar on my second rep. I get my breath, brace and visualize myself lowering the bar (as in my second rep) while dropping down to the bar. once down there I set my grip, pull out the slack and go. Doing that alone took my deadlift from 660-685 in a few weeks.

I also only get sore after I do higher rep stuff. Not that it is an indicator of muscle/strength gains, but it makes me feel like I did something. But I am similar to everyone else in that I will hit all of my prescribed reps then go for AMRAP on my last set. I normally never get more than 10, but they are all touch and go. If I am resetting every rep, I usually self regulate by using an axle because it is virtually impossible to hit touch and go reps of any considerable weight with one.

I am no expert on the matter but just thought I would chime in


#8

Generally, I only like doing single for heavier loads (over 85% or so) but on occasion if I’m feeling really good I might go for a triple in that range. In the 70-85% range I’m pretty happy with triples and doubles for the most part but I will also go for higher reps anywhere in that range. I’ll stop when I feel like I won’t be able to execute safely.

Overall, I’m happier pulling sumo for higher reps than conventional, but I pull sumo at lighter loads at the moment as I’m not as strong in sumo. I’ve never really done block pulls but if I was going to do conventional DL for higher reps at higher loads on a regular basis they’d be my go to option.


#9

I’ve found that 3’s work well for me. But like many have said I rarely do more that 5 reps on a work set. I have a white board with my rep records for each lift (1,3,5,8). The 8 rep slot is blank for deadlift.


#10

I do high rep touch and go.

I did 425x13 last week.

But, on the flip side, I think it may actually hinder my training because my initial pull is terrible. I couldn’t budge 500 today, and I did 465x7 last week.

I think high rep, touch and go will build more overall strength, but, I think resetting and pulling heavy is better for meets where that one rep is all that matters, not how many times you can do x weight.


#11

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:
I do high rep touch and go.

I did 425x13 last week.

But, on the flip side, I think it may actually hinder my training because my initial pull is terrible. I couldn’t budge 500 today, and I did 465x7 last week.

I think high rep, touch and go will build more overall strength, but, I think resetting and pulling heavy is better for meets where that one rep is all that matters, not how many times you can do x weight.

[/quote]

I pull nothing but touch and go and off the floor is my strong point. I feel like set-up is a pretty crucial part to getting power off the floor, and I see a lot of folks not making the most of it personally.


#12

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:
I do high rep touch and go.

I did 425x13 last week.

But, on the flip side, I think it may actually hinder my training because my initial pull is terrible. I couldn’t budge 500 today, and I did 465x7 last week.

I think high rep, touch and go will build more overall strength, but, I think resetting and pulling heavy is better for meets where that one rep is all that matters, not how many times you can do x weight.

[/quote]

I pull nothing but touch and go and off the floor is my strong point. I feel like set-up is a pretty crucial part to getting power off the floor, and I see a lot of folks not making the most of it personally.
[/quote]

I 100% agree, setup is one of the most important aspects to the pull, which is why I feel touch and go actually hinders me because my setup is terrible, but my reps are perfect. I think touch and go should be use, in my case at least, after I get set-up where it needs to be.