T Nation

Deadlift Replacement

So, got a hernia repair about 4 months ago.

Can’t do legs yet and dead lifts still irritate the area sometimes.

I usually go up to 3 plates for a few reps but in all honesty the thought of something ripping or popping is always in the back of my head and I’m starting to think it’s not worth it at all.

Is there any exercises that could be used to replace dead lifts for a while? at least until my groin in 100% healed.

Thanks.

It depends on what you mean. As far as overall muscle building and CNS recruitment? The only thing close is squats, which you aren’t doing either. If you mean as far as development of the lower back and erector spinae, I’d say either good mornings or some sort of back extension.

id say good mornings or extensions also, but be careful i have a hernia which bothers me, and havnt gotten it fixed yet as i dont feel its bad enough to stop me from doing what i do day to day, but its the same with me its always in the back of mind about straining the area.

I really like back hyperextensions for lower back. Something about good mornings always struck me as dangerous.

I had hernia surgery back when i was 18, and it SUCKS trying to get back into lifting, especially the big 3.

What worked for me was trap bar deadlifts(If available) and dumbbell deadlifts from the side, and in acouple months you will be able to ease yourself back into regular deads(I do regular deads every week now and have lifted 500lbs for 2 reps at my highest point since the surgery.)

Also, WRAP YOUR SHIT UP. IE Wear a belt, and get a good one too like one of the big ones from eliteFTS. People can call you a pussy for using a belt all they want, but seriously, fuck those guys. I wear a belt now every time i bench, squat, pull, whatever seems to be a big compound move.

Mine really didn’t stop bothering me until about 6 months after the repair. Did they end up using a mesh in the surgery?

Slightly off-topic, but I don’t feel the belt doing anything on deadlifts. On squat there is a huge difference, keeps me insanely stable and ups my poundages. How should one use a belt for deadlift, I can’t see how a belt will prevent injury in deadlift since anyway in a deadlift, the lower back will go forward alot inenvitably.

[quote]desolator wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but I don’t feel the belt doing anything on deadlifts. On squat there is a huge difference, keeps me insanely stable and ups my poundages. How should one use a belt for deadlift, I can’t see how a belt will prevent injury in deadlift since anyway in a deadlift, the lower back will go forward alot inenvitably.[/quote]

Two things:

1. Umbilical hernia prevention

2. Groin hernia prevention, can be as high as where the “V” starts

So it is only to prevent hernias, does nothing to protect the lower back itself?

[quote]desolator wrote:
So it is only to prevent hernias, does nothing to protect the lower back itself?[/quote]

It gives a little support for your lower back too, but it’s mostly to keep you all tight in the front for strength and protection.

Having hernia once in the groin area was bad enough, and the recovery felt like forever because the sar tissue doesnt go away for awhile. And i had a friend whos umbilival hernia was so bad that his bellybutton would actually POP out when he put too much pressure on it.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
I had hernia surgery back when i was 18, and it SUCKS trying to get back into lifting, especially the big 3.

What worked for me was trap bar deadlifts(If available) and dumbbell deadlifts from the side, and in acouple months you will be able to ease yourself back into regular deads(I do regular deads every week now and have lifted 500lbs for 2 reps at my highest point since the surgery.)

Also, WRAP YOUR SHIT UP. IE Wear a belt, and get a good one too like one of the big ones from eliteFTS. People can call you a pussy for using a belt all they want, but seriously, fuck those guys. I wear a belt now every time i bench, squat, pull, whatever seems to be a big compound move.

Mine really didn’t stop bothering me until about 6 months after the repair. Did they end up using a mesh in the surgery?[/quote]
Hey man, the doctor did use mesh. I have one of those leather belts here at home that someone gave me. Do you think I should stick with that or get a new one?

As long as you feel that it’s tight enough when you’re doung something like squats or deadlifts, I’ts a good idea. I’d get rid of it if there’s any tears or cracks.

Take it easy for the next couple months until you feel more stable. I remember returning to work after 2 weeks, lifting some heavy 5 gallon buckets and i was in so much pain.

I don’t think that someone who deadlifts a mere three plates should wear a belt. That’s starting strength for some guys.

If anything, he should focus NOW on bringing up the spinal erectors via lots of isolation (if that’s possible with the hernia), then later lift without it.

Spinal erectors are a weakness with many bodybuilders - and most still give the biceps a whole day (the irony).

I don’t think my spinal erectors are too bad…I know I’m still skinny but my back is pretty even.