Deadlift Recovery

I’ve been lifting for about 4 years now, and have been reading T-Nation for 2. Ive decided to start trying to get my Deadlift strong and have been doing a day a week where i do 8 sets of 3 for about 4 weeks now, and it seems like i cant recover in one day. Ill eat well, get at least 9 hrs of sleep, and I still am flat for my next workout.

Is there something I should be doing to recover better? Im not usually too sore, I just am weak and w/o energy…its real pain in the ass and makes my thursdays less productive. My only option right now is to possibly move that to fridays (i do a 5 day plan) which would mean i have ot redesign my play. Everything is progressing pretty well, but I think i can do better…anywho, any recovery suggestions?

Ok, for the vast majority of people, 8x3 on heavy deadlifts, PLUS 4 other days of working out is way too much. To recover in one day, regardless of your genetics, from heavy DLing is unreasonable if you are moving heavy. What does your workout look like?

sleep more, eat more carbs. thats what works for me.

especially sleeping more. even if i eat heck of a lot, if i sleep 8 hours i could still feel like doing even less weigh. but if i sleep like 10 hours then i feel ready to kill a rhino.

though i agree 83 is too much. 53 or 6*3 may be better

also try taking a nap after your workout, it always works for me.

btw, your avatar is funny as hell!

You’re experianced enough…you don’t need people telling you you’re ‘overtraining’ thats a personal thing. Its possible to train 5 even 6 days a week with overtraining.

What sort of deadlifting program are you doing? With what load? You may just need to reduce the volume or the load, changing the intensity of the following days training is also an option.

why is a guy punching a chick in the groin funny ?

What load are you lifting? (%1RM)
What does the rest of your routine look like?
What is your goal? (why are you focusing on your deadlift strength?)

I do the workout at about 90% of 1rm. The rest of my routine generally doesnt consist of anything really taxing. A couple sets of calf raises and some ab work, i have done lunges and this week i did some rows. Honestly after the dead lifting I dont have a whole lot to put into much else.

I do push pull with legs on wednesday and Ill do a set of as many squats of 225 as possible on mondays and cleans or leg presses on friday, but usually only one or two sets.

Mostly I just enjoy lifting and feeling good. Im doing some work for strength just to see what i can do right now, Im curious so Im going for it. Im progressing well, and hoping to keep on this plan for another month or so before i change things up. (I need variety or ill get bored). Its a fun program but its killing me.

Im going to try more carbs to see if it helps. Napping sounds good too. today (two days after legs) I feel great (and strong) again…I usually recover well. Maybe Ill try to take a day off ofter the legs then start workingout on saturdays too. MtwFs…Ill see.

Try setting some parameters. Doing 8X3 on the deadlift is a little much if you arnet doing speed work or chains with it.Hell I only do 1 heavy set for strength and it works for me. If you are going above 90% then maybe it is too much for you

Take fish oil if you aren’t already.

Try eating some more olive oil.

Try Power Drive post-workout.

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
why is a guy punching a chick in the groin funny ?[/quote]

because it just is.

[quote]masonator wrote:
marlboroman wrote:

because it just is. [/quote]

I like this site already. EAT MORE!! The DL beats you up, no way around it. Alternate your high volume/ME days. If your schedule is anything like mine then more sleep is not an option. I have found that with DL the addition by subtraction theory works

Crotch punch: A bit twisted but funny shit!!

“I don’t condone it, but I understand!!” Chris Rock (I think)

[quote]masonator wrote:
marlboroman wrote:

because it just is. [/quote]

I like this site already. EAT MORE!! The DL beats you up, no way around it. Alternate your high volume/ME days. If your schedule is anything like mine then more sleep is not an option. I have found that with DL the addition by subtraction theory works

Crotch punch: A bit twisted but funny shit!!

“I don’t condone it, but I understand!!” Chris Rock (I think)

What the… sorry for the double post. beginer’s error

I think you’re a rare lifter if you can make progress pulling heavy every week.

FWIW, I figured out I can’t pull heavy more oftern than every 12-14 days. Now- if I mix it up and dow rack pulls or GMs on th ein between weeks that works well. But hard pulling every week will break you down.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
I think you’re a rare lifter if you can make progress pulling heavy every week.

FWIW, I figured out I can’t pull heavy more oftern than every 12-14 days. Now- if I mix it up and dow rack pulls or GMs on th ein between weeks that works well. But hard pulling every week will break you down.[/quote]

I agree with this.

I think most people can pull every week, IF they aren’t looking to break PR’s on singles. You cannot pull heavy singles every week! Now, you can pull heavy reps every week, or easy singles. I know rep work isn’t usually condoned for the deadlift because it renders the lift no longer “dead”, but I’ve seen it work nonetheless.

I’ve also seen backing off and doing reps on the deadlift build the weakness in the deadlift. You might have enough horsepower in your hips to pull 500, but every time you work up there for singles you start hurting your back. If you drop down and start doing reps and working the weight up, it let’s you build the weak link.

In the same vein, you may not be getting enough volume in, if you’re always chasing heavy PR’s. You need the volume to get “conditioned” to heavy weights. If you’re training for a 500 pound pull, and you pull a single at 455, 465 and 475, that’s only three reps and 1400 pounds of volume. If you pull three sets of five at 405, that’s fifteen reps and 6000 pounds of volume. Which one is going to get you in shape for pulling heavy weights when you drop down to lower reps and higher loads?

My most recent DL volume expeerience was this:

I remember trying this routine last summer that involved pulling every week. 5 reps from a deficit, followed by 5 reps from mid shin with the same weight, plus 30 lbs. Your started out light and as you got into heavier weight with each passing week, you moved to triples and pulled your first work set from the floor instead from a deficit.

At the time my best pull was 635. I started out at like 455 and went up 20 lbs per week. By the time I got to 515, I had already dropped to tripples and the next week I missed 545 for a single.

8x3 @ 90% ?

I currently do 10x3 @ 75% for sumo on day one. I do the same on day two but switch to conventional. If I have anything left in the tank, I will work up to 90% for a few singles.

3 or 4 days rest in between DL days. I do all my assistance on these ‘rest’ days, so not much else done on DL day.

I agree with the 5 or 6x3 suggestions. Try it and see what happens.

Don’t deadlift heavy every week. I do ME deads one week, snatch grip defecit deads the next, then DE defecit deads the next week, then rotate back to ME deads.

I have made a lot of progress with this too. Other things I would focus on for improving your deadlift is Rdls, GMs, GHRs, and High Pulls