T Nation

Deadlift question

I heard that many powerlifters do a heavy set of bent rows prior to attempting a heavy bench lift. i understand the rationale: the muscle antagonist effect gives their muscles greater recovery and allows them to lift more weight. is there an exercise which is ‘antagonistic’ to the deadlift?? that is, bench press is to heavy bent row as deadlift is to what??? i understand that there may not be an appropriate exercise, considering the deadlift is such a whole-body movement. but im just curious. thanks for the help.

Interesting question. My guess is probably not, because (as you said) the deadlift is such a complicated movement. I mean, for a lift to be truly “antagonistic” to a deadlift, it’d have to include knee flexion, hip flexion, isometric pectoral contraction and scapular elevation, etc. I don’t know what such a movement would look like (maybe like curling into a ball against resistance?), but it sounds difficult to pull off.

i’ve been poerlifting for many years and have trained with many different people and have not seen nor heard of any powerlifter doing a heavy row before a pressing movement. as far as deadlifts go, some may squat first then deadlift. or stiff legged dl but that’s about it.

I suppose the only way to reverse this would be to hang by your feet (Gravity Boots) with a weight in your hands that you try to push into your feet. Just thinking about it makes my laugh.

Dips with weights tyed to your feet

Yeah, Coyote got it right, but also bring your knees up to your chest when you lower your body.

Finding an antagonist movement for DL would be tough… You might be able to get some same benefit out of a 120% overload, or you could use something like 1-6.

weighted bent knee sit ups would be the closest. I would be careful because of the amount of force the abs are under while deadlifting but give it a shot. I usualy train back and chest on the same day and I do recover better when I alternate between chest and back. peace

Actually, I would think that the bent-over good morning would have the best carryover. The Westside gang use many variations of the good morning to train for the squat and deadlift. In fact, 70% of their max-effort days use some form of the good morning. The only question is, would doing some heavy sets of the good morning prior to doing a max-effort deadlift be beneficial?