Deadlift Question

[quote]BacktotheBar wrote:

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Thanks alot guys i appreciate it here is 315x3 trying the same form i just did deads yesterday and just wanted to give it a go i dk if i did as good in this video

[/quote]

First rep on this one is good, then gets a little sloppy, but not too bad. Still much better than the very first vid. Could have just been tired from doing dead the day before. Keep plugging away, eventually you won’t even have to think about it.[/quote]

My back wasnt really sore from the deload day yesterday.

But today i did my normal bench assistance day among other things.

531 close grip
BBB close grip 5x10 fairly wider supersetted with paused pull ups.

Dips 5x10 supered with Heavy T bar rows.

I did those vids at the end of the workout.

So i was exhausted and my back was fatigued lol

Am i still doing alright guys? Im trying to figure this form out still. Before i was rounding lower back and pulling with all back. Heres a vid. How does my back look in this pull? Any other tips please feel free to share.

In watching your form I wonder if your back might be a result of your psoas muscle. You’re want an arched back with chest forward that lowers the butt and a establishes an erect torso. This transfers the load to the legs. For this you’ll need to roll the shoulders back, but that requires an arch in the back and that requires a pelvic bone that is tilted forward. Take a look at the many variations of the psoas stretch on YouTube.

I notice that of the 12 reps that you perform on video, all of them are right hand prone, left hand supine. Do you vary that for working reps? If you’re not against using straps some of the time, the reverse snatch grip will get your shoulders used to the position that you want for heavy reps, singles and PR’s. Starting with an ideal arched position in the rack pull, then transferring it lower can also help you improve form from the floor. Some people weren’t born with a body that lends itself to great dead lift form. I certainly wasn’t. Psoas stretching helped me a great deal.

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Am i still doing alright guys? Im trying to figure this form out still. Before i was rounding lower back and pulling with all back. Heres a vid. How does my back look in this pull? Any other tips please feel free to share.

Main thing I notice is that you are locking out your knees a bit early, they should be locking out at the same time your back does. If you start your hip thrust a bit earlier they should come into synch better.

It looks like your build is not made for deadlifting with ease, like my body is shit for benching. Your hips should be a bit lower. I can’t tell how wide apart your feet are but It helps taking a narrow stance. I would get my lumbar spine alot straighter keep attempting to find the right form for yourself. Yeah the main thing I notice is that you set up with your hips to high up set up with your hips slightly lower, when you get your hand in position you should be starting with perfect neutral spine, so keep taking videos but get your hips down a bit more should be inbetween too high and to low right now your at too high.

I am a form nazi lol all my friends get me to look at their form while they do movements so I may not be the stronges, butt I like to see good form so you don’t hurt yourself and you will move more weight in the long run. Disc health as my dad taught me because he slipped a few when he was my age is verrrrrrrry important

Maybe i just have a shitty conventional build lol. Heres a vid of me pulling sumo. Since this video my hips have became looser and i can geg almost straight up and down while leaning my shoulders behind the bar then exploding up. So imagine this video but now i do it better lol

Atleast my back stays flat this way lol

much better! Looks like you’ll pull more that way

Thanks man. I was suppose to switch like a month ago but i was convinced to fix my conventional form but it doesnt look like thats gonna happen. My best sumo is 475 my bestb convo was 545 at a meet with horrible form i actually had a group of guys say to me how have you not effed your back up by now lol.

But since ive only tried sumo probably 10 times and its already at 475 without training it i think i can add more weight in a decent amount of time. Would like to top my conventional pull in atleast 8 months.

x2 on what Jlabs said. I would also recommend working on keeping a more neutral head position for any pulling method. Tony Gentilcore has some articles on that.

Try looking at T3hPwnisher’s deadlift tutorial. Obviously he doesn’t mention the hip hinge, but that’s basically what the entire video is about.

Since watching that video and learning the hip hinge by looking at stuff on elitefitness and other sites, my deadlift form has really improved. My lower back no longer feels anything besides an annoyingly painful pump if I get carried away and pull too many reps for that session.

I liked the video. Im gonna start pulling sumo all the time though but i will still kee conventional in as a lighter assistance and try to improve that as well. Thanks guys.

Lol did you hear the guy at the end of the video haha he said all these 25s have cracks in em. I was like i know. Haha hes one of many guys who trys to talk to me as im setting up for a heavy lift…

That’s a great video

[quote]magick wrote:
Try looking at T3hPwnisher’s deadlift tutorial. Obviously he doesn’t mention the hip hinge, but that’s basically what the entire video is about.

Since watching that video and learning the hip hinge by looking at stuff on elitefitness and other sites, my deadlift form has really improved. My lower back no longer feels anything besides an annoyingly painful pump if I get carried away and pull too many reps for that session.

[/quote]

Learning to think of the DL as a hip hinge really changed my life. The notion of “pull” isn’t even in my mind anymore when I deadlift, I just set up, get pressure into my abs, and then try to hinge as much as I can, like one of those novelty drinking birds. I never get back pain anymore as a result. Glad this video helped you out.

Really think the second video is your best form conventional. Don’t dismiss your conventional totally, would stick to practicing it in the 70-85% range where it’s heavy enough to provide a stress, but light enough where you can concentrate on your cues. ThePwnisher’s vid is good, should have posted that up for you.

Edit: Thought I would post this up as well if ok on this site:

Hey guys ive decided to pull sumo as my main lift. But im gonna pull conventional the same week as well. Im just gonna perform my conventional with slightly lighter weights and really concentrate on form.

Here is a video of me pulling sumo this morning this was 385x3 felt very easy.

Here is another vid of 425 it also felt very easy.

I believe my sumo form is way better than my conventional. It also feels much more natural to me to pull sumo.

I would appreciate any help tips or thoughts on this.

Thanks alot guys.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

Learning to think of the DL as a hip hinge really changed my life. The notion of “pull” isn’t even in my mind anymore when I deadlift, I just set up, get pressure into my abs, and then try to hinge as much as I can, like one of those novelty drinking birds.[/quote]

I had the exact same experience. I’m pretty lanky and used to squat much further down to the bar on conventional DLs, thus making the movement way, way too complicated and straining my lower back. Now I try to treat it as a hip hinge using a pseudo-SLDL set-up, which helps load the hamstrings and takes a ton of pressure off of the lumbar spine. I really liked high-rep kettlebell/dumbbell swings to help engrain the hinge movement. Might not work for everyone, but is super for my build.

Reading a lot of those deadlift tutorials or technique articles will get you to believe that the conventional DL is a technically difficult motion, but I think it’s very simple if you are aware of your own anthopometry and try to engrain the “hinge” in the most practicable way.

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:

I believe my sumo form is way better than my conventional. It also feels much more natural to me to pull sumo.

I would appreciate any help tips or thoughts on this.

Thanks alot guys. [/quote]

This is like night and day compared to your first conventional DL videos. Looks much more sound. I’d still try to work on thrusting the hips through the bar at lockout in order to shorten the ROM and so you don’t hyperextend your lumbar spine.