Deadlift Question

Ok here is a video of my deload week last set of 5 deadlift 385x5

I have always deadlifted this way no back pain or anything but it looks like my back may be slightly rounded at the start i mean it stays neutral but i dk. I managed a 545 pull this way… what do you guys think?

I wouldn’t stress about it. If it aint broke don;t fix it. As long as you keep training your quads by bringing your squat/front squat up, and keep training your back with front squats and higher rep deads, etc, I wouldn’t change things up. If you stall out or plateau hard, then it’s different story. But if you feel strong, are able to progress, and don’t have any sort of back pain, then no worries.

Thanks N.K. bro there was this dude at the gym today telling me about my back and i was like i dk man it feels ok lol thanks for the feed back bro. I dont really do front squats. But for my regular squats i do an almost olmypic style back squat only difference is i dont go atg just 1-2 inches below parallel. It hits my quads hard. I also do sumos currently 315x5x5 as deadlift assistance.

Ugh, that back position is not going to do you any good in the long run. It may feel ok now, but your lumber spine is rounded. Do more core work and lower back work, get yourself in a better position before you lift (Sink your hips tighten your lats and abs and keep your spine at least neutral.) Plus it is only decreasing your leverages. Rounding upper back is ok, rounding lower is just asking for an eventual injury. You are also bending your arms, Stop IT!.

I cant get into any position without rounding my lower back trust me my abs and back are strong i can squat 405x5 on any given day. What do you suggest then? Ive tried every position out there. My lower back does not flatten haha

Stop saying you can’t, ball up and do it. If this was a deload I should see none of this. If you are rounding this bad on a deload, how bad are you rounding on maxes? Why are your bending your arms? Just asking for a bicep tear. Fcking sht. Get your form straightened out and you will lift more than you do now. Sink your hips, keep your back straight as possible till you get to your knee level, then hump the crap out of that bar!.

Ok, a bit more calmly. When you are setting up, pull that slack out of the bar by tightening your hamstrings and arching your back. While doing this you should have a deep breath in your belly and pushing that breath against your belt as hard as possible. Tighten up your lats a bit which should pull the weight a bit towards your shins, now keep all these muscles tight till you hit knee level, then once you hit above the knee fire your glutes off like you are going to F*** the snot out of that barbell. Keep your triceps flexed a bit to help with “curling” the bar up.

Would you reccomend starting with the bar on or away from the shins? I start the bar about mid foot then lean into it. Ive never really had anyone to teach me i just started muscling up the weight but ive done a damn good job at that. But i dk man maybe ill sumo deadlift instead…i can actually keep my back straight doing those by my max suffers around 455 with sumo.

Maybe my lower back is tight or one thing i can think of is maybe my chest and shoulders are fucked…? I cant seem to push my chest up and out when conventional deadlifting.

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Would you reccomend starting with the bar on or away from the shins? I start the bar about mid foot then lean into it. Ive never really had anyone to teach me i just started muscling up the weight but ive done a damn good job at that. But i dk man maybe ill sumo deadlift instead…i can actually keep my back straight doing those by my max suffers around 455 with sumo.

Maybe my lower back is tight or one thing i can think of is maybe my chest and shoulders are fucked…? I cant seem to push my chest up and out when conventional deadlifting.
[/quote]

Personally I like it against my shins then push my shins into the bar as I reach down, but the are others that like it slightly away. I would guess that is a preference due to body type. I actually pull sumo better (it just comes naturally to me and I am about 20-30 lbs over conventional,) but do much of my deadlift work conventional or conventional deficit. Could be some hip mobility forcing the rounding, but really the deadlift, at least I feel has it’s two main parts.

There is the lift to the knee, of which you want to do what I described above, i.e. keeping your spine stable not lifting the hips and getting the bar to the knee. Then as the second part, fire off the glutes and drive them towards the bar. If you look at something like Sheiko 29, these are the two parts of the lift that the lifter it was made for was attempting to work on, where they have the sets of reps to knees, then the sets of from knees to lockout.

Try hip hinges and see what happens.

I don’t like how most deadlift instructions seem to merely assume that people can do this. The first time I tried a proper hip-hinge, I couldn’t do it. My back kept rounding. It took weeks of practicing it and doing good mornings properly for my hamstrings and glutes to actually loosen up enough for me to do the movement.

I’m thinking your head position could be one of the main issues for why you can’t keep a neutral lower back. You don’t have a neutral head position, so you aren’t going to have a neutral spine in general. As the poster said above, working on the hip hinge could help, you just have to also make sure that you get the head position fixed. Right now you have the whole “PEZ dispenser neck” going on, as Kelly Starrett would say.

Im gonna post another video here around 10pm im gonna try to hip hinge since i actually know thats what your suppose yo do now…lol thanks for setting me straight guys.

Ok guys. Here is the video i did tonight. This is the first time i tried them like this. I was pushing my hips back trying to keep that back as tight as possible. Let me know what you think better? Remember its my first time trying it like this. Thanks for all the help

10 yrs ago, I used to rip weights off the floor 450 for 6, just like your form in the first video. Eventually I learned what happens. I’ve torn up some things. Not sure what. I can only heavy dead lift now twice a month, when I’m willing to suffer for it for a few days.

Stick with your form in video number 2. Try to make sure you don’t overcompensate and let your hips roll too far forward. Made that mistake too.

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Ok guys. Here is the video i did tonight. This is the first time i tried them like this. I was pushing my hips back trying to keep that back as tight as possible. Let me know what you think better? Remember its my first time trying it like this. Thanks for all the help

[/quote]

Much much better man, your back will thank you in the long run. Hard to see your arms because of the glare from the light but it didn’t look like you were curling it up.

Add in some deficit deads using that form too, will really help lock that feel in.

Thanks alot guys i appreciate it here is 315x3 trying the same form i just did deads yesterday and just wanted to give it a go i dk if i did as good in this video

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Thanks alot guys i appreciate it here is 315x3 trying the same form i just did deads yesterday and just wanted to give it a go i dk if i did as good in this video

[/quote]

First rep on this one is good, then gets a little sloppy, but not too bad. Still much better than the very first vid. Could have just been tired from doing dead the day before. Keep plugging away, eventually you won’t even have to think about it.

Thanks man i appreciate it. Im gonna reset my max to about 455 and work back up from there. If i cant hit reps ill reset even futher. I want to powerlift for life not for tomorrow or 3 years from now. I appreciate you guys giving me constructive criticism it has helped alot. Inwish i had some power lifters to train with. I work on off shifts one week day one week night so its hard for me yo find a partner. Nobody wants to powerlift anyway where i train.

[quote]magick wrote:
Try hip hinges and see what happens.

I don’t like how most deadlift instructions seem to merely assume that people can do this. The first time I tried a proper hip-hinge, I couldn’t do it. My back kept rounding. It took weeks of practicing it and doing good mornings properly for my hamstrings and glutes to actually loosen up enough for me to do the movement.[/quote]

Magick hit it on the head here

That’s how I use to pull lol, I was convinced that it was just how I was built.
Searching and searching how to constantly improve my form for deadlifts over the past 11 months and I finally got it figured out.

It all has to do with hamstring flexibility. Arching lower back and stretching hamstrings kind of go in OPPOSITE directions.

1. Keep your legs straight and bend your torso parallel to ground (note how hammies feel)
  2. Arch your lower back and try to bend your torso parallel to ground (should feel an immense stretch in hamstrings)
    That is essentially what goes on in the bottom position when you’re trying to maintain a neutral back right before the pull. When you are not able to keep tension in your hamstrings with an arched back, your lower back actually GIVES UP and rounds over so that the hamstrings feel more comfortable.

Practice stretching the hell out of your hamstrings with hard arched GMs.
Arch hard and push your butt back… once that loosens up over a few days.
Then arch hard and push back and then try to maintain arch while attempting to lower torso to parallel.
Gives your hamstrings a hell of a stretch and really loosens them up.

Once I got that fixed, my lower back was no longer as sore from deadlifting since the force is now more evenly distributed… Felt a lot more soreness in hamstrings and traps now.

If you’ve watched the “so you think you can bench” videos… he says that while benching you should feel highly uncomfortable. I think that can carry over to deadlifting lol, it doesn’t feel very comfortable for the hamstrings down there.

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Thanks man i appreciate it. Im gonna reset my max to about 455 and work back up from there. If i cant hit reps ill reset even futher. I want to powerlift for life not for tomorrow or 3 years from now. I appreciate you guys giving me constructive criticism it has helped alot. Inwish i had some power lifters to train with. I work on off shifts one week day one week night so its hard for me yo find a partner. Nobody wants to powerlift anyway where i train.[/quote]

I know the feeling, I live in the land of LA Fitnesses and all other types of gyms with smoothie bars, chemical peels and guys doing nothing but curls and tricep kick backs, spending more time flexing their bi’s in the mirror and spending even more time trying to talk to girls running on the treadmill than training.

Used to know a few guys who got me started, but I have either lost touch or they have fallen off the deep end (drugs/jail etc.)

Dude people are lazy where i live ( Johnstown Pennsylvania) i have about 120 friends on facebook (not the point who gives a shit) lol ive posted on FB numerous times that i would pay someones membership to join and lift with me. No Takers! Sucks man lol i also had a pl buddyba year back but hes doing a 3-5…