Deadlift Question

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
doesnt it in a way depend on one’s current goals and weaknesses ?

as in…if you need to work grip and/or competition technique , ditch the straps .

if all out strength gain is the goal , use them . pulling more weight will obviously make one stronger . right ?
you just wouldnt plan on hitting the same weight in a comp as you can pull with straps .[/quote]

Yeah it depends on your goals, if its bodybuilding the more weight/reps the better for growth. And for powerlifting the more weight/more reps the more strength. So either way you would want to use as many reps and as much weight as you could handle. (not always true in powerlifting I guess)

I posted it here because lifting like this is more of a bodybuilding thing. Powerlifters aren’t as worried about how hard they hit the muscles, more worried about how much strength they gain.

If my forearms were small I would still use straps for dead lifts, I would just do specific forearm work like hammer curls and maybe some grippers or what not.

Im completely down with how compound movements train allot of different body parts. But for me, and I would like to think most people, dead lifts are to train back and legs etc. Not so much forearms. So if using lifting straps lets you hit your back and legs way harder, then why not just do that and some extra forearm work later…

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
CitizenSnips wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
I was just thinking about doing dead lifts (I use lifting straps and do touch and go dead lifts) and I was thinking about how I don’t do them right because I use lifting straps and touch and go.

I couldn’t get over that part. What do you mean you don’t do them right? Start.

Doing them that way didn’t seem to hurt these people in their quest to build muscle.

People need to start looking at what successful BB’ers actually do. And stop taking what they read in articles (or taking what authors say out of context) and making those words into some sort of law.[/quote]

hell of a post man

Sometimes I go online and its like the people who actually care enough to go online and do research are less likely to make gains because of all the millions of contradicting, bullshit, new weight training program, or exercise, or diet program made by the newest online guru.

“If your sticking point is on the floor, touch and go deadlifts will keep it there” - Wesley Silveria

But I don;t see anythign wrong with touch and go deads unless its preventing you from getting enough poundage off the floor (for the first rep) to go heavy enough for rthe remaining sets.
I experimented with starting the lift from the rack and beginning the first rep with a negative (gues sit turns it more into a quarter squat). Was very satisfied with the results…

Lots of touch-and-go deadlifting left me a bit weaker from the floor

I don’t think this applies to everyone though, and I’m not even sure it matters if your interest is solely size

I personally don’t do touch and go or lift with straps. Just because, well i want to join the powerlifting team here at UT Austin next year so i’m focusing on powerlifting. my forearms cannot afford to be a weak point, in fact they already are. When I touch and go, personally, my form gets horrid, so i don’t.

What makes the deadlift hard is that you can’t keep the stored up energy in the muscle for the next lift. Your muscle acts like a rubber band. Thats why lifting off the floor each time causes your muscles to have to lift from a complete point of reset.

Your style of deadlifts are not harder or easier, just different. You should do both at different training periods for maximum benefits.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
What makes the deadlift hard is that you can’t keep the stored up energy in the muscle for the next lift. Your muscle acts like a rubber band. Thats why lifting off the floor each time causes your muscles to have to lift from a complete point of reset.

Your style of deadlifts are not harder or easier, just different. You should do both at different training periods for maximum benefits. [/quote]

Fair enough, I would love to see a study of which movement hits the muscles harder tho.

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:
Gregus wrote:

Your style of deadlifts are not harder or easier, just different. You should do both at different training periods for maximum benefits.

Fair enough, I would love to see a study of which movement hits the muscles harder tho.

[/quote]

Greg is right. The stored energy leaves if you stop and relax the muscle, leave the weight on the floor, and lift again. This does allow the muscle to relax and because of that it is able to replenish the muscle somewhat which allows for more type IIa fiber involvement. So from a strength perspective, I think this would be a better approach.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
Gregus wrote:

Greg is right. The stored energy leaves if you stop and relax the muscle, leave the weight on the floor, and lift again. This does allow the muscle to relax and because of that it is able to replenish the muscle somewhat which allows for more type IIa fiber involvement. So from a strength perspective, I think this would be a better approach.
[/quote]

for 1rm lifting there is no better way to train than pausing it on the floor.

But I posted in bodybuilding because I wanted to know if it worked your body harder considering touch and go with straps lets you use more weight, has more time under tension, and lets you get more reps as well. Even more sets in the workout if grip is a problem for you.

But as far as 1rm strength no doubt pausing is the way to go.

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
Gregus wrote:

But I posted in bodybuilding because I wanted to know if it worked your body harder considering touch and go with straps lets you use more weight, has more time under tension, and lets you get more reps as well. Even more sets in the workout if grip is a problem for you.

But as far as 1rm strength no doubt pausing is the way to go.[/quote]

If you did a touch and go fast enough it would bring in your tendon stretch reflex which would allow more reps with a heavy load. But, as this is a reflex and not a muscle tissue function, it would not help in meets where you are lifting from the floor.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
Gregus wrote:

But as far as 1rm strength no doubt pausing is the way to go.

If you did a touch and go fast enough it would bring in your tendon stretch reflex which would allow more reps with a heavy load. But, as this is a reflex and not a muscle tissue function, it would not help in meets where you are lifting from the floor. [/quote]

I see…

I do have a problem off the floor but I just do paused deficit deadlifts to make up for it.