T Nation

Deadlift Question

I was just thinking about doing dead lifts (I use lifting straps and do touch and go dead lifts) and I was thinking about how I don’t do them right because I use lifting straps and touch and go. And then it came to me that perhaps touch and go lifting straps build muscle better than paused dead lifts with bare hands…

Think about it, touch and go your body never gets to relax. It probably puts you with more time under tension.

Guys who deadlift pausing after each rep would be surprised how hard your upper back has to work to remain straight and flexed for a 5-10 rep set without being able to rest and regroup on the floor. Everything has to be flexed the whole time basically.

It also allows you to move more weight, which must lead to more muscle growth.

Touch and go dead lifts start you off in a better pulling position which may be safer, and again, allows you to move more weight.

And using lifting straps ensures you hit your back and legs as hard as possible because grip is no longer a issue.

I know some people don’t like using straps because they want big forearms, but for allot of people straps allow them to use so much more weight it is worth getting less forearm stimulation in order to get a WAY more over all muscle stimulation due to increased weight and reps.

Thoughts?

I don’t use straps, and my weights are small in circumference, meaning that they never even touch the floor on the eccentric.

My back is by far my strongest bodypart, traps also. I’ve also noticed that once you start developing a stronger grip from deads, your forearms don’t need any direct training at all.

It’s a lot easier for me to hammer out reps than to pause. Time under tension should be longer with the pause because the lift is slower (assuming the same number of reps).

I also find that I get in a better position when I pause. When I do touch and go, I lower the weight with my back and end up in a straight leg dead lift position by the time the weight touches the floor.

as for the increased weight and reps, you are using stored energy during the negative to help lift the weight, so I don’t know that there is necessarily better muscle stimulation. I mean, if you work the muscle hard, you work the muscle hard.

I could however see it as a possible training tool for lockouts, as the bounce and elastic energy would help you more off the floor.

As for straps, my grip is to where it’s no longer an issue, so I don’t use them.

Just my 2 cents.

I guess anything can be rationalized if you give it enough thought, however I disagree.

A deadlift by nature is the act of pulling a static load from the floor.

If touch-and-go with straps works for you - great. I think this method can benefit the user by creating momentum. In that respect, the “touch-and-go” method can easily turn into a “bounce-and-go.”

I’ll stick with raw lifts from the floor. They work, plain and simple.

I think if you’re doing Deadlifts for multiple reps, then doing them with straps is almost a must since it keeps the bar from shifting in your hands.

If your grip is holding you back with a double overhand grip on Max Attempts, then you have a grip so weak that you’d be better off training it separately.

The only big qualm I have with touch and go deadlifts is this:

I’ve been doing them. I just missed a deadlift I should have gotten. I’m very weak off the floor. Anything I can get 1 inch off the floor I can pretty much lockout. This is true for pretty much any deadlift variation: partial pulls, deficit pulls, pulls against bands, whatever.

So for those weak off the floor, it’s probably a good idea to let the weight totally die, and then pull again.

To that end, if you’re not weak off the floor then maybe Touch and Go Deadlifts are EXACTLY what you need to be doing so you can overload portion of the lift where you normally fail.

For bodybuilding purposes, I’m not gonna pretend I know.

Great video FightingScott. That’s the intensity most people need to try to achieve

[quote]ChicagoCub wrote:
Great video FightingScott. That’s the intensity most people need to try to achieve [/quote]

Beautiful…simply beautiful.

/i’m so fukin’ weak

I love to deadlift. But for me, going strapless has never really been an option because I am missing 3/4 of the middle and ring fingers on my left hand and this makes gripping any sort of heavy weight impossible. I usually go strapless during warm-ups though my 135 and 185 sets, but from there straps become imperative.

My forearms have still grown. Probably not optimally, but they have still grown. Also, I am weakest off the floor and thus I always let the weight die, rest a few seconds, and pull again. For me and my personal weaknesses this combination seems to be the best and only way for me to progress at a satisfactory rate.

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:
I was just thinking about doing dead lifts (I use lifting straps and do touch and go dead lifts) and I was thinking about how I don’t do them right because I use lifting straps and touch and go. [/quote]

I couldn’t get over that part. What do you mean you don’t do them right? Start.

[quote]CitizenSnips wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
I was just thinking about doing dead lifts (I use lifting straps and do touch and go dead lifts) and I was thinking about how I don’t do them right because I use lifting straps and touch and go.

I couldn’t get over that part. What do you mean you don’t do them right? Start.[/quote]

I dont do them right by powerlifting standards, is what I meant.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M6UUJbb2T6E

that is how I do them, they arent bad form. No bounce, keep my back right and all that stuff.

I just see people bashing touch and go deadlifts and lifting straps all the time. Really its not hurting anyone, you may not have a ton of power off the floor, and you may not get as much grip work. But you may also be using 50+lbs more weight and getting more reps because of these things.

So it comes down to

Good Bad
more weight, more reps less forearm work, weaker off the floor

Since this is bodybuilding, who gives a shit if they arent as strong off the floor as they are when they do touch and go. The idea is to hit the muscle hard and touch and go and lifting, with straps, I think make it so you can hit those muscles a good bit harder than you could other wise.

doesnt it in a way depend on one’s current goals and weaknesses ?

as in…if you need to work grip and/or competition technique , ditch the straps .

if all out strength gain is the goal , use them . pulling more weight will obviously make one stronger . right ?
you just wouldnt plan on hitting the same weight in a comp as you can pull with straps .

Now what if you take a couple second brake after each rep, is that bad too much if your doing drop the barbell at each rep?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
doesnt it in a way depend on one’s current goals and weaknesses ?

as in…if you need to work grip and/or competition technique , ditch the straps .

if all out strength gain is the goal , use them . pulling more weight will obviously make one stronger . right ?
you just wouldnt plan on hitting the same weight in a comp as you can pull with straps .[/quote]

yes but this is the bodybuilding forum, not the strength forum, generally a post here should be more along the lines of bodybuildng not pure strength or powerlifting

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
marlboroman wrote:
doesnt it in a way depend on one’s current goals and weaknesses ?

as in…if you need to work grip and/or competition technique , ditch the straps .

if all out strength gain is the goal , use them . pulling more weight will obviously make one stronger . right ?
you just wouldnt plan on hitting the same weight in a comp as you can pull with straps .

yes but this is the bodybuilding forum, not the strength forum, generally a post here should be more along the lines of bodybuildng not pure strength or powerlifting[/quote]

I agree. Touch and go with straps keeps the target muscles engaged the entire time increasing the TUT. TUT is a main factor in muscle hypertrophy. So for bodybuilding touch and go would be better IMO.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
marlboroman wrote:
doesnt it in a way depend on one’s current goals and weaknesses ?

as in…if you need to work grip and/or competition technique , ditch the straps .

if all out strength gain is the goal , use them . pulling more weight will obviously make one stronger . right ?
you just wouldnt plan on hitting the same weight in a comp as you can pull with straps .

yes but this is the bodybuilding forum, not the strength forum, generally a post here should be more along the lines of bodybuildng not pure strength or powerlifting[/quote]

wait

what?

my bad

I think it really does depend on your goals, but strapless or strapped, deadlifts are a great exercise. Straps are also good for preserving hand health especially if you’re doing deadlifts over 3 reps. What I do is use straps on and off, constantly making sure I can still do the set without them while still using them.

[quote]CitizenSnips wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
I was just thinking about doing dead lifts (I use lifting straps and do touch and go dead lifts) and I was thinking about how I don’t do them right because I use lifting straps and touch and go.

I couldn’t get over that part. What do you mean you don’t do them right? Start.[/quote]

Doing them that way didn’t seem to hurt these people in their quest to build muscle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW09a7FrlGU&feature=related

People need to start looking at what successful BB’ers actually do. And stop taking what they read in articles (or taking what authors say out of context) and making those words into some sort of law.

Straps or not, pause or touch and go, I think it’s most important to just DO them.

I personally don’t use straps and pull mostly singles so I might not know what I’m talking about.

When deading for reps I always touch and go with straps. I use straps so my grip is not an issue and allows my back and legs to focus on the task at hand. I also agree that it leaves the targeted muscles under longer tension (TUT).

[quote]John Q. Adequate wrote:
I’ve also noticed that once you start developing a stronger grip from deads, your forearms don’t need any direct training at all.[/quote]

Untrue for me. I can rack pull well over 600 lbs and I have some pretty small forearms.