Just started my 4th cycle of 5/3/1.
Beginning DL max was set at 425.

Last Deadlift day I did not adhere to the prescribed program
due to simply just getting tired of doing so many reps
on Max Effort sets. I am starting to really not like
pulling for multiple reps.

I worked my way up and pulled 455 for a solid form single
that felt good.

Now my question is what should I do now as far as deadlift training?

I REALLY like 5/3/1 and am going to stick with it for all other exercises
for sure. My bench is even starting to improve on it and my squats
have been growing exponentially. (Not really exponentially but you get the point)

I have several options that I am considering(The reason for this proposed change
is as stated above I don’t like pulling for reps).

Keep in mind that I will be running 5/3/1 for everything else.

Option 1) Run this program for deadlifts:

The reason I like it is that most of the reps are 2-3 with very few 4 and 5 with none higher than 5.

Option 2) Keep running 5/3/1 for deadlifts but raising my number to my true new max
without taking 90% of it and ONLY going max effort on week 3.

I like this once again because I won’t be doing that many reps.

Doing 5/3/1 with my current #'s is not really an option im considering right now I simply
can’t handle doing 10 reps on week 1’s. Too much risk of injury. Can’t keep good form for that
many reps even if I completely reset and do a kind of rest/pause style.

Option 3) Do kind of my own thing for deadlifts. Something along the lines
of doing singles with the goal every deadlift day of hitting 4 reps that are 90% of my 1RM
but not actually maxing out. And than dropping it down for one more rep with ~ 50 lbs. less
and just focusing on speed. With this I would be doing a 2 week on 1 week off (assistance only)
type of protocol.

Option 4) Eat like a freakin monster and run Coan Phillipi.

This is something I am considering but a big drawback for it is that I really want to see
where I can get with my squat and don’t feel like putting it on maintenance for now.

Every time I have posted in the PL forum I have gotten really good feedback.

I’ve been following the PR thread and it has been really motivating.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Just do the prescribed reps.

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:
Just started my 4th cycle of 5/3/1.
Beginning DL max was set at 425.

Last Deadlift day I did not adhere to the prescribed program
due to simply just getting tired of doing so many reps
on Max Effort sets. I am starting to really not like
pulling for multiple reps.

[/quote]

I had this exact same thought not too long ago (hamstring injury and a lot of time to consider my lower body training)

I’ve come to the following realization: those multiple reps that I didn’t like? Were very likely the reason I added 80ish pounds to my DL in about 6 months.

If the program is working, suck it up. If it’s not working, change it up.

Edit: a disclaimer. I was happy to oblige with the 5/3/1 for PL version where you leave the 5’s day as a “medium” day and don’t do the additional reps. 10+ RM deadlifts are frickin cardio/conditioning.

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:

Doing 5/3/1 with my current #'s is not really an option im considering right now I simply
can’t handle doing 10 reps on week 1’s. Too much risk of injury. Can’t keep good form for that
many reps even if I completely reset and do a kind of rest/pause style.

[/quote]

Also I’d comment on this. If you can’t keep good form, you are not completing the rep. That may just be my opinion though.

This is what I’ve been doing

On deadlift day I just do the standard 5/3/1 sets and reps without maxing out. On the 5s week I’ll do a heavy single after the last set, on the 1 week I’ll do a heavier single after the “1” set. I follow the Deadlift with a deadlift variation (deficit/chain/bands/rack pulls) and thats where I go balls out max effort and try to beat that in the next 2 weeks. After three weeks a new cycle starts whit the 5/3/1 increases and with a new variation. This way I keep hitting regular dead (I think form is paramount) and work on weaknesses and build strength with the ME movement.

This helped me tremendously and I recently pulled my first 455 and got 515 with reverse bands immediately after. I agree that pulling for reps is good for general strength but does jack shit for my 1RM. Point is to see what works for your 1RM and stick to that, not necessarilly a program to the ABC… If you read the logs of some of hte big pullers on this site, they don’t all necessarilly follow the same routine for their deads, but have sound reasoning behind what they are doing, believei n their training, bust their ass and it works for them. I think that’s more important than an exact program or percentages - let’s face it, if not like we are pulling in the 700s and 800s here haha.

also, I’ve put a second deadlift day where I do speed pulls against chains I feel this has helped me a ton with my form and speed off the floor.

You have a great way of looking at it. Key phrase is “busting your ass”.

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
This is what I’ve been doing

On deadlift day I just do the standard 5/3/1 sets and reps without maxing out. On the 5s week I’ll do a heavy single after the last set, on the 1 week I’ll do a heavier single after the “1” set. I follow the Deadlift with a deadlift variation (deficit/chain/bands/rack pulls) and thats where I go balls out max effort and try to beat that in the next 2 weeks. After three weeks a new cycle starts whit the 5/3/1 increases and with a new variation. This way I keep hitting regular dead (I think form is paramount) and work on weaknesses and build strength with the ME movement.

This helped me tremendously and I recently pulled my first 455 and got 515 with reverse bands immediately after. I agree that pulling for reps is good for general strength but does jack shit for my 1RM. Point is to see what works for your 1RM and stick to that, not necessarilly a program to the ABC… If you read the logs of some of hte big pullers on this site, they don’t all necessarilly follow the same routine for their deads, but have sound reasoning behind what they are doing, believei n their training, bust their ass and it works for them. I think that’s more important than an exact program or percentages - let’s face it, if not like we are pulling in the 700s and 800s here haha.

also, I’ve put a second deadlift day where I do speed pulls against chains I feel this has helped me a ton with my form and speed off the floor.[/quote]

“those multiple reps that I didn’t like? Were very likely the reason I added 80ish pounds to my DL in about 6 months. If the program is working, suck it up. If it’s not working, change it up”

Very true. The 5/3/1 program has for sure been working for me.

“If you can’t keep good form, you are not completing the rep. That may just be my opinion though”

I absolutely agree. Well you are completing the rep as long as you are able to stand up but you’re doing it like a retard so it’s kind of like you’re not completing the rep. Sometimes on the way up on the 9th or 10th rep I know my form isn’t what it should be on the way up but my ego will not let me drop the weight. The meathead in me wants to pull it up than hang on to the bar for about 10 secs like oh yea this is no big deal than let it go.

“On deadlift day I just do the standard 5/3/1 sets and reps without maxing out. On the 5s week I’ll do a heavy single after the last set, on the 1 week I’ll do a heavier single after the “1” set”

That is a really good idea. I don’t know if I could handle doing that heavy of deadlifts so often but adding that in somehow to for example doing a heavy deadlift after week 3 every other week is something that can definitely work for me.

The new deadlift variation every cycle is a great idea too. I am assuming that those are done in place of assistance work.

A really good point that you made is to believe in your training and BUST YOUR ASS and the results will follow.

I am going to stick with 5/3/1 with original numbers and not go completely ME leave a couple in the tank on weeks 1 and 2 and go all out on week 3 until I feel the need to reevaluate.

Once again I have gotten real helpful quality advice. Thank You.

The best program I’ve personally used for DL was Coan.

You need to get the 5 3 1 for Powerlifting ebook and check out the section called “Training for the Non Competitive Powerlifter”

Although the title is not very inspiring, it has an alteration to the 5x3x1xDeload 4 week cycle that has really made an impact in my deads.

It takes focus out of PR’ng rep maxes and transfers work into heavier singles. This section of the book alone was worth my $20. I have set it up to run for both my squat and deadlift so i am never hitting heavy PR’s for both movements in the same week. It has really given me the chance to be aggressive and push maxes without burning out.