Deadlift Problems, Small Hands

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Get chalk[/quote]

This too. Most people tend to think it’s one or the other, but chalk mixed with straps is vital.[/quote]

I thought it might ease his transition into the “unauthentic” lol.

Didn’t know about chalk mixed with straps. Will try it in a couple of days.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
How am I looking for an excuse? I literally just said I just need advise… aka im at a sticking point[/quote]
For the third time, what weight are you deadlifting that’s such a sticking point because of your “small hands”?

[quote]an excuse would be me saying yeah I can never pull more than now because of my hand size. I never said that.

I believe that my main problem with my deadlift is that I have small hands.
[/quote]
Literally your first sentence was you thinking your small hands were causing the problem. Especially for a guy your height, you don’t have small hands. A weak grip is not the same as small hands. Weak grip can be improved, small hands are something people are stuck with.

Im stuck at the bottom, just getting it off the floor no matter if its conventional or sumo. I can squat in the high 400’s, yet my dead lift on a good day is in the high 300’s. Once I can get it off the ground I have no problem pushing my hips through and locking out and holding the weight.

I have small hands for a guy, and I dont think it affects grip strength unless you are using a thick bar. In fact, the thick bar (axle) has done wonders for my grip. I use it for Romanian deadlifts.

FYI, with hands that are under 8 inches at 5’9" I can pick up about 180/190 in each hand and walk about 100 feet with 1 drop, so Id say my grip is pretty strong for a causal lifter.

I think I used 180 when I did that walk, to be precise.

A couple things.

First, if you have trouble breaking the weight off the floor but can lock out once it’s off the floor, it doesn’t really sound like a grip problem. There’s absolutely no reason that you can’t pull 400 with small hands (which I don’t think you really have). If you were talking about pulling 800, then a discussion of hand size may be more relevant.

Second, wrist wraps and wrist straps are two different things. Wraps are typically used to support the wrist in pressing or squatting movements and just wrap around the wrist. Some people use these on deadlifts to support the wrist, but I don’t imagine you get much of anything out of them. Wrist straps are wrapped around the bar in the opposite direction of you fingers. You then grab the strap. This absolutely helps grip and will typically help most people increase their deadlift.

Third, I’m 5’9" and measure about 8 inches from my wrist to the end of my middle finger. I wouldn’t say that I have a particularly strong grip, but I can handle 300lb farmer handles and have pulled 405 double overhand with chalk. I don’t think that grip is really your problem, but if it is, you should be able to overcome it.

My advice is to get chalk and then do more deadlifts double overhand.

when I go to get dumbbells I can grab 190’s easy and hold them. Like I said its pulling off the ground, maybe im just being a lil bitch haha.

I know the difference between wraps and straps, and double overhand? thats a good idea thanks.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
when I go to get dumbbells I can grab 190’s easy and hold them. Like I said its pulling off the ground, maybe im just being a lil bitch haha.[/quote]

You can use 190lb dumbells but can’t deadlift 400lb?

What?

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
maybe im just being a lil bitch haha.[/quote]

Ding ding ding!

You can’t change the size of your hand. You can increase your grip strength; go do that.

Honestly, the more you talk about this, the less it seems like it has anything to do with grip. You’re weak off the floor. That’s completely different.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
Barley touches 8 inches from bottom of palm to tip of my middle finger[/quote]

From my palm to middle finger is 6.75" I’m only 5’6 and have small hands and feet wear a size 9 with a good bit of room. So… In short… You have weak hands not small hands.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
Im stuck at the bottom, just getting it off the floor no matter if its conventional or sumo. I can squat in the high 400’s, yet my dead lift on a good day is in the high 300’s. Once I can get it off the ground I have no problem pushing my hips through and locking out and holding the weight.[/quote]

You squat high as hell just saying.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
Im stuck at the bottom, just getting it off the floor no matter if its conventional or sumo. I can squat in the high 400’s, yet my dead lift on a good day is in the high 300’s. Once I can get it off the ground I have no problem pushing my hips through and locking out and holding the weight.[/quote]

You squat high as hell just saying.[/quote]

Do you say he squats high bc you have seen it or is being weak off the floor with a decent squat indicative of a high squat. Makes sense if it does I just never made the correlation.

Chances are almost 90% of the time especially with him being a relative beginner that if his squat is 100 pounds higher than his dead lift he is squatting quite a bit high. Even more so I am willing to bet he is not wrapping his knees INSANELY (which for 100lbs increase he would need) so just further pushes my argument he is quite high.

I don’t know any legitimate to a decent depth almost 500 pound unwrapped squatter who can’t atlesst get a 405 deadlift. I say almost 500 because he is claiming a high 400 squat but can’t even pull 400. So I understand there are people whose squat is higher than their pull especially in wraps ( I am one of them) but I am willing to bet that the OP is squattig quite high of he posts a video.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
when I go to get dumbbells I can grab 190’s easy and hold them. Like I said its pulling off the ground, maybe im just being a lil bitch haha.[/quote]

Wait what?

I deadlift in the mid 500’s, and I wouldn’t exactly describe grabbing and holding 190 lbs dumbbells as ‘easy’. In fact I would call that difficult, taxing, demanding, or something along those lines. Hand strength is clearly not your issue, assuming you’re telling the truth (which I’m not convinced you’re doing at this point), because holding 2 190lbs dumbbells is substantially harder than holding a 400 lbs barbell.

All that being said… a mixed grip and chalk have been enough for my grip to never give out. And I have smaller hands than you. They’re closer to 7" than 8". I think for your height you may actually have large hands, lol.

OP, your hands are not small. They just aren’t. Enough people have pointed this out so far. You need to acknowledge that and move past the idea of “small hands” so you can tackle what’s really going on.

If the problem is grip strength try double overhand rack pulls with a fat bar with 10 sec holds. Up to 8 sets with a weight that you feel you can still really squeeze into (so not too desperate that you can hardly hang onto the bar). Do this before your regular deadlift (and yes, that might affect your deadlift numbers but you’re prioritizing grip for a while).

If the problem is technique and/ or being weak off the floor (which seems to be the most likely here) post a vid and consider the feedback.

Isn’t Joe Kinney pretty small? I don’t think you can close a coc#4 and have a weak deadlift. And blah blah blah, different types of grip strength. He had strong ass hands, but they were small too.

I would think if you tried wrist “hooks” or “straps” with a “mixed grip” you’d be fine! Also try strengthen your grip even more with other exercises mid-week between deads.

[quote]LiftNostalgia wrote:
I would think if you tried wrist “hooks” or “straps” with a “mixed grip” you’d be fine! Also try strengthen your grip even more with other exercises mid-week between deads.[/quote]

Why would one use a mixed grip with straps? I feel that double overhangs is far more preferable with straps.